Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Exercise. Roasted Peppers, Gas, Mandarin, Mushrooms,

So I ended up with damn cramps again last night. The bowling I guess. Not been doing much physical stuff lately so guess it serves me right. In fact the driver who took me shopping today, is one of the people who does exercise classes too, and she kind of told  me off for not at least doing warm ups. I wish I could get Matt to exercise. I was reading an article on new dementia research and one of the things they emphasised was the necessity of exercise.

Today, as I said, I went shopping at 12:30 had to eat my lunch early. I bought some bell peppers amongst other things. Once all the stuff away, I put a couple of peppers in the air fryer to "roast". I then shoved them in a covered dish to cool (that helps the skins to come off). Meanwhile we went out to get gas, a) it's fairly cheap right now, and b) being connected to the company that owns the grocery store, I can get points on my gas and there was a special on today. I then had to go to the bank to deposit a cheque. I normally never got to the bank, don't remember the last time I was there.

Then came back, skinned the peppers and, following The Happy Whisk, I mixed them with some maple syrup, wine vinegar in my case and a little water - oh, and some salt. I then put them in a Mason jar and having put more peppers in to cook, put them to cool as well. My air fryer isn't that big so I can only get two large peppers in at once. Will do a couple more tomorrow. Anyway, here is the picture of my results so far, they taste delicious.Thanks Ivy, Maybe I will try your stinking hot Hungarian peppers one of these days. Matt tasted them and didn't like them, didn't think he would, never been one for pickles.

Not much to do tomorrow although we might go out to lunch together, Mandarin still celebrating the Moon Festival. Then, I can also do another couple of peppers to add to this jar. Might need a bit more maple syrup and vinegar. We'll see.

Thought this recipe sounded good, talking of mushrooms, did you know that they continue to grow and therefore to prevent them getting slimy they should be allowed to breathe. I was a bit teed today to get loose mushrooms in a plastic bag. A definite no-no.

Mushroom-Sausage Ragù

"Sautéed mushrooms can make almost any inexpensive red wine taste better," says sommelier Jake
 Kosseff of Seattle's Wild Ginger

1 cup dried morel mushrooms
2 Tbs olive oil
2 sweet Italian sausages
1/2 lb shiitake caps, quartered
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 thinly sliced shallots
6 water chestnuts, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs unsalted butter
Chopped parsley, for garnish

1. Soak the morels in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water until softened. Rinse and pat dry; reserve the soaking liquid. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the sausages, cover and cook over moderate heat until no longer pink within; slice 1/4 inch thick. Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Add the shiitake, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened. Add the shallots and morels; cover and cook for 4 minutes. Add the water chestnuts. Pour in the morel soaking liquid. Add the sausages and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Off the heat, swirl in the butter and sprinkle with parsley. Serve over polenta.

Servings: 4

Source: Food & Wine


Have a great day
 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Jo!
    You made my day.
    You gave me the biggest smile, ever.
    Thank you. So much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Ivy. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo, I love roasted peppers - never thought of preserving them like that ... good tip about the mushrooms too - it really annoys me when there are only plastic bags available... Have a good week. Fil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have an air fryer Fil? Makes it so easy and yes, I found that useful to know about mushrooms. My store usually has paper bags for loose mushrooms. You have a good week too.

      Delete