Thursday, October 17, 2019

Gift, Panama Canal, Collapsing Bridges, Allergies,

I ordered a Christmas present in August was beginning to thing I had been conned or something, but I had a UPS email today saying it would arrive tomorrow, Thursday. Fingers crossed. I was planning to go bowling, but I think staying in for the parcel might be more important. Or is it, the UPS store is just round  the corner if  they deliver when we aren't here. Will make my decision later.

I was surprised to get an email from ladydog this morning (Wednesday) as I thought she was on her way to the Panama Canal but turns out they were in Fort Lauderdale where they were waiting to board their ship in the afternoon. My geography not being as good as it should be, I did some searching and located where they were and where they were going. I then watched a 5 minute (speeded up) video of a ship going through the canal and learned things I didn't know. I thought it was just one set of locks, silly me. In fact they lift the ships 84 ft., that is a hell of a distance


A few years ago there was a camera there and you could watch ships - frame by frame - going through one of the locks but that doesn't seem to be available any more, pity, thought I could watch her ship. Matt said I woudn't be able to see her though LOL. I replied I could always get her to wave.

We were just watching a frightening programme about bridges collapsing, starting with a bridge in Genoa, Italy, which collapsed last year. I am so glad we don't travel any more, I would be terrified to cross any of these bridges. There were 2 young men talking about Genoa. They were on the bridge, one of them had his car drop 100 ft and the other was found hanging inside his vehicle under the bridge in the air. Lucky to be alive. However, there have been lots of bridge collapses over the years and they are working to find out why. - is it old age or faulty design. A lot of the bridges are around 50 years old. Made me think about that huge bridge that crosses the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. Goes on for miles. That bridge is terrifying without any thought of it collapsing. Searching for information, I just found a video about that bridge and the fact that some people are too scared to drive across it. They have to go with a guy who makes a business of ferrying people across. I have to include that video too.


So, I would not cross it again, no matter what. I did start thinking of British bridges I know that have spanned the Thames for hundreds of years. Although there are newer bridges there which they are worried about.

I have been sniffing and snuffling as well as sneezing a lot lately. Checking with the bowling alley owner, who regularly suffers from allergies, he is doing the same, so something is affect me which is unusual. Was just having a sneezing fit writing this. Don't usually have this problem.

Didn't go to the Mandarin, miserable day and I was tired.

I just found this recipe which I might try on Friday evening for supper. I didn't know what Kirby cucumbers were, but having Googled, I think I would stick to English cucumbers anyway. I always have one of those in house. I would also cook the rice in the Instant Pot too.

Salmon Rice Bowl with Ginger-Lime Sauce

In Vietnam, palate-cleansing ginger is typically served with rich foods like duck. Here, a pungent
ginger dipping sauce is paired with salmon, which is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids.

1 3/4 cups water
1 1/4 cups long-grain rice, rinsed
2 Tbs minced, peeled fresh ginger
3 1/2 Tbs sugar
1 Thai red chile, chopped
10 small garlic cloves,
2 chopped
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
2 Tbs Asian fish sauce
2 kirby cucumbers (10 ounces), cut into thin strips
2 Tbs vegetable oil
4 6-ounce skinless salmon fillets
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of the water and the rice to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook the rice for 12 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a mortar, pound the ginger with the sugar, chile and chopped garlic to a coarse paste. Transfer the paste to a bowl and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of water, the lime juice and the fish sauce. Add the cucumbers.

3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Add the salmon to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the whole garlic cloves. Turn the salmon and cook over moderate heat until opaque throughout, about 4 minutes.

4. Mound the rice in bowls. Top with the salmon, garlic cloves and ginger-lime sauce with cucumber strips and serve. Pass any extra sauce at the table.

Servings: 4

Source: Food & Wine



Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. I DVR'd the bridge show so will catch it another time. Thee is someone up at the Mackinac Bridge who will drive folks across, or so I have heard. We got stuck once in the UP thanks to high winds. We had to sit up there and wait for what seemed like hours before we could cross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth watching Denise. It has just occurred to me, the Golden Gate Bridge is another possibly dangerous one.

      Delete
    2. I just watched the show. I may never drive across another bridge again. We have lots of bridge and road issues here in Michigan. Glad I didn't watch it right before bedtime, lol.

      Delete
    3. I know Denise, scary isn't it, especially as they don't really know why.

      Delete
  2. That is wild people hire someone to drive them across the bridge. Think if I was that scared to drive across, I wouldn't go on it period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same Alex, if the bridge is going to collapse with you on it, doesn't matter what you are riding in. She also seemed scared that the barriers weren't very high either.

      Delete
  3. I have always been afraid of bridges. I know lots of bridges here in the states are aging and probably lots of them are unsafe. That salmon looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am even more afraid now Susan. Avoid bridges is my new motto.

      I opted for my salmon in tinfoil recipe in the end, easy and less washing up.

      Delete