Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Movie, Health, Cooking,

Having watched the actresses in the documentary yesterday, tonight I watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel which stars both Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. The pair are wonderful in this movie as in everything they do. I have this movie and the sequel, but unfortunately Matt doesn't enjoy it. He never did even when he was more "with it".

This was a bowling day but I didn't  make it unfortunately. Wasn't feeling to good this morning, my chest felt like I had strained the muscles by lifting something heavy. Which, I hadn't, I was a tad nervous but eventually it faded away and I felt fine later. I was sorry to miss bowling though.

I decided to cook one of ladydog's favourites, Instant Pot Butter Chicken. I used the huge chicken thighs I bought at Victoria Market and found, unsurprisingly, that one thigh each was more than enough meat, which means we have the same dish available again. I have to go to Victoria St. Market  though, I found I have no sausages and certainly no bananas. Also we have run out of both wine and,  horrors, sparkling wine (champers to me).

Matt often has Yucatan Tilapia at Red Lobster, but this looks an interesting variation.

Yucatán Pork Stew with Ancho Chiles and Lime Juice

Butcher-chef Tia Harrison finds making stew a versatile way to use cuts like pork shoulder, shanks
and belly. Here she cooks the stew with pleasantly bitter ancho chiles.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 1/2 lbs trimmed boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 large white onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8 garlic cloves, smashed
1 lb carrots, cut crosswise into 2-inch lengths
3 ancho chiles, seeded and cut into very thin strips with scissors
3 bay leaves
pinch of ground cloves
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
6 cups chicken stock
6 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
2 Tbs chopped cilantro
Steamed white rice and sliced jalapeños, for serving

1. In a very large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Season the pork with salt and black pepper and add half of it to the casserole. Cook over moderate heat, turning, until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a plate. Brown the remaining pork.

2. Return all of the pork to the casserole along with any accumulated juices. Stir in the onions, garlic, carrots, chiles, bay leaves, cloves, lime juice and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes, nestling them into the liquid. Cover and cook over low heat until the pork is very tender and the carrots are cooked through, about 3 hours. Discard the bay leaves and stir in the cilantro. Serve with rice and sliced jalapeños.

Servings: 8

Tips
The stew can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving

Source: Food & Wine

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - hope you feel better ... sad about Matt not enjoying the films - they are excellent and fun to watch. Glad you got stocked up on vino and champers ... not wise to run out. The pork stew looks delicious ... while I also love a good chicken dish. Take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, haven't stocked up yet, will have to do so today.

      Delete
  2. The body is funny thing. I woke up this morning with a sore muscle on the right side of my chest. I just love telling people I hurt myself sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How weird, and yes, quite funny. I think you are right, you can do that Diane.

      Delete
  3. I get pains in my chest that feels like muscle strain. I was once told it was probably arthritis in my chest plate. No idea. That doc was a bit of a quack, so hopefully it's not just my body working up to a massive heart attack. But I've had it for ten or more years. It will come and go- anxiety makes it worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Liz, sounds like stress doesn't it? I am certainly subject to that.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to read that you weren't feeling good, Jo.

    ReplyDelete