Friday, October 11, 2019

Cauliflower Rice, Hand Mixer, Shopping,

I neglected to say, yesterday how I made my cauliflower rice. I took the simplest route. I processed it in my small processor. When I bought my hand blender it came with a processing attachment. This pic shows a couple of other items but I didn't get those. Not the whisk or the tall plastic item. Anyway, this produces absolutely wonderful cauli rice in a few minutes, I just fill up the bottom part and whizz away until it is how I want it. Later I will put it in a bowl and cover loosely with plastic film and microwave for 2 - 3 mins. Sooo easy. Matt didn't even realise it wasn't rice. Of course, I will still use rice, but not as regularly.

Funny really, I had to go buy another cauliflower as I had run out. I now have enough for two meals I think. I went to Victoria St. Market and picked up a box of cole slaw. I also looked at chocolate - I can't find any that exactly suit my taste. Dark chocolate doesn't taste like much to me. What I ended up with was a milky dark chocolate called Milka. It is delicious and just what I want. Anyway, the cauliflower only cost me $12 which, compared to $20 bananas isn't much. When I left Matt told me "only buy a cauliflower", well, I nearly stuck to that. I need to go to Costco to get some lamb too, they quoted me about $70 for a boneless leg at Victoria St. - I don't think so thank you. Guess it's local lamb and probably very good, but that is out of my price bracket I'm afraid.

I realised, having written about the hand blender, I really don't need my food processor any more and it is taking up quite a bit of room. Offered it to the girl who cleans for me, but she doesn't want it. Will have to put my thinking cap on.

I also realised that ladydog is going to be off the grid for a while so I don't need to worry myself silly about getting a blog done, so I might miss a few whilst she is swanning around South America. She said she was pretty busy today, unsurprising as she has family Thanksgiving (this is Canada) this weekend and flies out on Tuesday. Have a good trip ladydog, if you happen to read  this. We'll miss Zoey, and you of course LOL.

I've actually added this to my Instant Pot fine. I recently read that all one pot meals can be made in the IP and I don't think this is any different. Mind you I would have to scale it down somewhat I think. Must admit I have never used tomatillos. If I make this I can't say that again.

Mexican Chicken Pozole Verde

This green pozole derives much of its flavor from tangy ingredients like tomatillos, cilantro and green
chiles.

7 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
2 cups water
4 chicken breast halves on the bone, with skin
1 lb tomatillos, husked and halved
1 small onion, quartered
2 poblano chiles—cored, seeded and quartered
2 jalapeƱos, seeded and quartered
4 large garlic cloves, smashed
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 Tbs oregano leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs vegetable oil
3 15-ounce cans of hominy, drained
Finely shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced radishes, chopped onion, diced avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips and lime wedges, for serving

1. In a large, enameled cast-iron casserole, bring the chicken stock and water to a boil. Add the chicken breasts, skin side down, cover and simmer over very low heat until they're tender and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate and shred the meat; discard the bones and skin. Skim any fat from the cooking liquid and reserve.

2. In a blender, combine the halved tomatillos with the quartered onion, poblanos and jalapeƱos, smashed garlic, chopped cilantro and oregano. Pulse until coarsely chopped, scraping down the side. With the machine on, add 1 cup of the cooking liquid and puree until smooth. Season the tomatillo puree with salt and pepper.

3. In a large deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the tomatillo puree and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce turns a deep green, about 12 minutes.

4. Pour the green sauce into the cooking liquid in the casserole. Add the hominy and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the shredded chicken to the stew, season with salt and pepper and cook just until heated through. Serve the pozole in deep bowls, passing the lettuce, radishes, onion, avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips and lime wedges at the table.

Yield: 6 to 8

Source: Food & Wine

Author Notes
The pozole verde can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated, covered, overnight.

Have a great day
 

7 comments:

  1. 12 bucks. Wow. And ouch on the bananas. Happy Thanksgiving. Perfect weekend for it. I stopped eating rice awhile ago. Not because of the carbs, but bc of the inorganic arsenic. It took me a few tries but now rice has bern gone for awhile from my kitchen. Happy weekend and Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only joking about the prices Ivy, it's what I end up spending when I go in the store because I see other things I want.

      Cauliflower rice is a good sub.

      Delete
    2. Ohhhh, my gosh. I thought you were serious.

      Delete
  2. I will check on you when I can get wifi so keep on posting. Habitat for Humanity will take your machine. I can take it to them when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Thought you would be off the grid all the time.

      Didn't know that Jan, thanks.

      Delete
  3. I was going to comment on the price when I saw your response to Ivy. LOL. I've given up even telling my husband I'm going to the store for one thing. I don't even know what tomatillos are. That sounds easy for cauliflower rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a blender like that. Never thought of making cauliflower rice though you may have inspired me now I see I could use the small food processor.

    ReplyDelete