Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Team Name, Lead Poisoning,

Well, I ended up choosing the Hawks for our team name. Although someone suggested the Silver Foxes, which I think would have been great. They were teasing me because of my British accent when saying Hawks, it was suggested my word was spelled Haulks. Cheeky so and sos. So, we bowled, even Matt bowled today, and pretty well although he did cause us to be really late leaving the alley. Me, I did the same as last week, a 187, 135 and 186. 2 more than last week. It shoved my average up 5 points. Matt shoved his average up by over 20 points. We took 5 points instead of 7 this week though.

Watching a programme called Retro something, talking about  lead poisoning and how it affects children. I had no idea what it could do. Pretty frightening. Nobody is prepared to take responsibility (in the States) for the clean up of lead paint on old houses. Matt said he knew about the effects of lead on young brains, must have missed it somewhere, because I had no idea.

Sorry tonight, no recipe. I'm very tired for some reason.Will remedy this tomorrow.

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Glad Matt got out.
    Not just lead paint that is an issue, but lead pipes for water distribution. My home was one of those tested this summer for lead and copper in the water and while my home is okay, homes in two neighboring communities show contamination. As we have seen in Flint, this is a very long and costly procedure to remedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes lead anything I guess Denise. But paint seems to be one of the major problems because it turns to dust, and is all over the place. I think in some respects it would be easier to get rid of lead pipes.

      Delete
  2. I grew up in an old house. My dad was a chemist, so he knew this sort of stuff better than most. Because of the possibility of lead paint, we never had to scrape old paint. Just covered up all the layers. He used to caution against buying plates and such made in China with red paint because they didn't have the protection laws that we have and lead was often added to red paint to make it pop.

    I was the one voting silver foxes. Hawks works too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Liz, didn't know about the red paint. Glad he was so careful.

      Yes, I know Silver Foxes was your idea, I liked it and that is what we have gone with.

      Delete
  3. I think The Hawks rocks for a Bowling team, and look at you with your rocking average score! Glad to hear Matt got his average up, too:)

    I was listening to a podcast the other day, and whatever is in lead paint (lead, I know:) but the mixture tastes sweet and that's why kids and toddlers (me definitely included!!) used to pull loose paint of the walls at home and suck on it.

    What could go wong? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ended up with Liz's Silver Foxes Mark.

      I didn't know that about the sweetness of the paint. I was going to make a sarcastic comment, but refrained.

      Delete
  4. Glad you chose Silver Foxes. When my brother was tiny, my mom told me he used to chew on the window sill...now i know what happened to him:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, how terrible Birgit.

      Yes, Silver Foxes is good.

      Delete