Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Bowling, Alleys, New Tricks, Supper.

Yesterday was our last bowling for the summer league, we then have our banquet next Tuesday (I do hope I will be eating normally by then) and then we don’t bowl Pin_Animation1again until the end of August. We start early because at the beginning of September there is Labour Day and the woman who runs the alley always takes that weekend off. All the other holiday weekends she is there, but never for that one. Personally, I have not bowled particularly well for the whole of the summer league. Matt hasn’t bowled until the last two and has done pretty well considering how long since he took part. Of course two of the September weeks we will be away in North Carolina.

In the area where we live there are three alleys, one I don’t know too much about, MacDaddy'sbut the other two are sadly neglected. Nobody seems prepared to spend any money on refurbishing and repairing. If somebody came along and invested a bundle to bring one of the alleys up to scratch, they could make a killing. I am sure all the bowlers would want to go there instead of their own worn out alleys. I just wish I knew someone I could persuade to do such a thing. When I think of the place, MacDaddy’s in North Carolina where we 10 pin bowl during our holiday, I just wish they would come and invest in bowling up here.

New TricksI very much like an English TV programme called New Tricks which is about a group of ex coppers who work on unsolved crimes. I really like the show which appears, very often, on TVO or TV Ontario. Sometimes on the American PBS stations too. I discovered that I can see some of the older shows or ones I have missed on TVO’s website so that’s what I did last night. You should check it out if you like cop shows. I saw it described as a trio of grumpy ex cops, I wouldn’t really call them grumpy, but it can be funny.

Last night Matt cooked us up some stuffed portabella mushrooms which were pretty good so I will share the recipe tomorrow however, this recipe is from Becel margarine which, I believe, is only available here, in Canada. However, it can obviously made with any decent margarine or butter. I thought it sounded very simple and yet tasty, especially if you wilt the spinach a little as described at the bottom.

Shrimp and Avocado Saladshrimp-and-avocado-salad

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 2 tsp. (10 mL) sesame seeds
  • 1 lb. (450 g) large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 tbsp. (15 mL) Becel® Original margarine
  • 6 cups (1.4 L) baby spinach leaves
  • ½ large avocado, peeled and sliced
  • 1 large orange, peeled and sectioned
  • 6 radishes, sliced (optional)
  • 2½ tbsp. (40 mL) fat-free Italian dressing
Preparation
Step 1

Toast sesame seeds in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, 1 minute or until golden. Remove sesame seeds and set aside.

Step 2

Season shrimp, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Melt Becel® Original margarine in same skillet over medium-high heat and cook shrimp, stirring frequently, 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.

Step 3

Arrange spinach on serving platter. Top with avocado, orange, radishes and shrimp. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Just before serving, drizzle with fat-free Italian dressing.

Note

Recipe can be halved.

Tip

If desired, toss hot shrimp with spinach to wilt the spinach slightly.

Have a great day

Jo

6 comments:

  1. That's a shame your alleys are so worn. Some in are area are but we have a few really nice ones.

    I haven't bowled in years. I don't know that my bum knee would forgive me if I tried. But I used to enjoy it.

    I love shrimp salads. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of the alley owners here want to spend the money.

      As for a bum knee, that's nothing, you should see the people in our senior league, LOL

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I assume you are talking 10 pin Alex. We are doing 5 pin which is peculiarly Canadian. The only time we do 10 pin is when we are on vacation in the States.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo
    I found your Blog via Mike Woodcock (Scolopax) Blog. I'm an ex tenpin bowler. Gave it up a couple of years back as we travel too much to keep up with league bowling. Hubby (David) is a qualified tenpin instructor and teaches kids on Saturday mornings. Our alley's here in the UK are going the same way as yours ... they get more money from 'fun' bowling so prefer to have childrens birthday or office party groups rather than serious bowlers.

    We've just taken up lawn bowls and joined the local Whitstable club.

    Love your recipes and will be following and looking for inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike is our son in law. Such a shame about the bowling alleys because it is good fun, although of course we do 5 pin. It is an excellent sport for seniors and the three alleys in our neighbourhood have senior leagues every winter. Oh well.

      There is a lawn bowling club at the bottom of the road, maybe we should think about it. Friend improved his 5 pin by leaps and bounds after lawn bowling.

      Thanks for following.

      Delete