Friday, August 2, 2019

Lunch, Cevaps, Corn,

Had an enjoyable Sub lunch with ladydog today. Only trouble is, we usually get a cookie, but they had a deal on, something like 10 or 12 cookies for $6 so she bought it. She knew we liked cookies, but I don't really need the temptation. She also brought us some lovely gladioli which she bought at the farm on the way over together with some super fresh corn on the cob. Will have some for supper.

Actually, supper will be Cevapcici, commonly known as Cevaps. They are a Serbian skinless sausage (nearest I can describe) these are made of lamb and beef and I am going to try them in the air fryer, hopefully that will work. When I was in Serbia (Yugoslavia at the time) in '69 we had these wherever we went. There were other dishes including Pljeskavica which was their version of a hamburger. There is another I particularly remember but cannot find it online. I have just discovered there was a Serbian FoodFest in June. I will look out for it next year. Sounded good. Practically everything we ate was served with chopped, raw onions.

I cooked the Cevaps (pronounced chevaps) in my air fryer and they turned out really well. I had to do them in two batches as it wouldn't take all of them at once. The first batch I cooked a little too long which made the outside a tad tough. The second batch, cooked less time, were much better. However, my husband, who used to love them, has now decided he doesn't like them at all. Great pity because I really enjoyed them. What's left I guess I will have to eat for lunch or something. They are wrapped in packets of 10 so a couple at lunchtime shouldn't be bad. I also cooked some corn in the microwave and it was delicious. Thanks ladydog..

I always loved lemon curd and I think tarts like this one are so cool. Thought I would share the recipe.

Meyer Lemon Tart

Learn how to make star chef Ludo Lefebvre's French lemon tart.

SUGAR CRUST:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
pinch of fleur de sel
1/4 cup (2 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces, room temperature
2 large eggs, stirred to blend
LEMON CURD FILLING:
1 1/3 cups strained fresh Meyer lemon juice (from about 6 Meyer lemons)
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 Tbs Meyer lemon zest (from about 6 Meyer lemons)

1. FOR THE SUGAR CRUST:

2. Mix the flour, powdered sugar, and fleur de sel in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until well combined. Add the butter. Mix until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the beaten egg over the dough. Mix just until the dough begins to form.

3. Gather the dough into a ball; flatten into a disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap; chill for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.

4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12 1/2-inch round (about 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick). Tip: you can place the disk between sheets of wax paper to roll it out more easily.

5. Transfer to a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently press the dough in the pan to cover completely. Press any overhanging dough against the top edge of the pan to trim. Cover and refrigerate the crust until it is cold, about 10 minutes.

6. Line the crust with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights (or dry beans). Bake the crust until the sides are set, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove the weights and foil.

7. Bake the crust until it is golden on the bottom, about 15 minutes longer. Cool the crust in the pan on a rack.

8. FOR THE LEMON CURD FILLING :

9. Bring the lemon juice to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan.

10. Whisk the sugar and eggs in a medium bowl to blend. (If using a stand mixer, you can whip until the egg and sugar mixture becomes a ribbon consistency.)

11. Gradually whisk in the hot lemon juice to the egg and sugar mixture.

Yield: One 10-inch tart

Source: Food & Wine

Have a great day
 

4 comments:

  1. I have been making zucchini bread with all the garden zucchini and I don't need it.

    Chad does the opposite with food. He hates something forever and then suddenly likes it and argues that he never used to hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried leaving your zucchini to grow big and then stuffing and roasting them Liz?

      The argument at the end is so typical, however, Matt may not remember he didn't like it if I leave it a while.

      Delete
  2. I saw that recipe for the lemon tart. Something I do not need to eat along with cookies, lol. I just heard a report that one shouldn't do too vigorous of an exercise routine as it causes one to eat more, with one gaining weight instead of losing. I believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do vigorous any more anyway Denise. If I ever did of course.

      Delete