Thursday, August 15, 2019

EFT, Bowling, Shopping,

Our cleaner came in this morning and I have started paying her by electronic transfer. Easier all round. Only trouble is, she has to answer a question I set. We agreed on it, but unfortunately, I used all lower case for the answer and she used a capital. The result being she couldn't get the money. I never realised it was that sensitive. We will know in future.

Sadly, it was our last day of summer league bowling and today was purely for pleasure, it didn't count for anything except possibly personal satisfaction. The latter applied to me, I bowled pretty well and ended up gaining another 3 points on my average. If I had had longer this season, I just might have got back to where I was before my little hospital jaunt last year. Our winter league doesn't start til after Labour Day and hopefully I will be able to keep it up. Matt, however, didn't bowl at all. Said his legs were too painful. I'm afraid I can't get him to move around, he needs to do some walking but won't and it's damn sure he won't do it if I tell him to. Even if I got one of  the Community Support exercise people in, I suspect he wouldn't participate. Pity. Must admit my legs were killing me when we left.

On the way home I had to call in at the grocery store for peaches and canned black beans. The Chili recipe called for the latter. I had to walk a long way in the grocery store. Could have taken a motorised cart I guess, wish I had. Then dropped in at the liquor store and finally home. I have  mentioned before what a long walk (for me) it is from our parking spot to the exit so by the time I finally got into our apartment my legs were  really complaining. Then I had to make the chili - oy vey. However, turned out to be worth it, the chili was very good. I had to divide it in the end, a lot more than my poor little Instant Pot would take. I now have chili coming out of my ears LOL. Three more meals anyway.

Silly, I know, but my mother would have been 106 on the 15th. I plugged it into my calendar just as a matter of interest some years ago.

I am always looking for different things to do with vegetables and Kevin Lynch has come up with a good one here. Only ever tried zoodles once, they aren't bad.

Crispy Honey Lemon Cauliflower on Chili and Garlic Stir Fried Zoodles

After recently making the crispy parmesan cauliflower bites I could not help but think that crispy cauliflower could be used in other recipes and the thing the that stuck out in my mind was using it to replace the meat in a Chinese style dish like honey lemon chicken. Normally when I am making a
Chinese style dish where the meat is coated and fried until crispy I take a lighter approach and use simple sauteed meat but since the meat in this case is actually cauliflower I thought that it would be alright to indulge a bit and go with the crispy coating. The honey lemon sauce is super quick and easy to make starring, you guessed it, honey and lemon along with some other Chinese style sauce staples including soy sauce, garlic and ginger. You will definitely never miss the meat in this dish as the crispy cauliflower is absolutely amazing in the tasty honey lemon sauce!
I served the crispy honey lemon cauliflower over a bed of zucchini noodles stir fried with some garlic and a touch of chili heat to keep things nice and light

For the crispy cauliflower:
1 medium cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
1/2 cup flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
oil for frying

For the stir fried zoodles:
1 Tbs sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
3 medium zucchini, cut into noodles
For the honey lemon sauce:
2 Tbs honey
2 Tbs lemon juice (~1/2 lemon)
2 tsp lemon zest
2 Tbs reduced sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
1/4 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
1 tsp chill sauce such as sambal oelek or sriracha
1 clove garlic, grated
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 Tbs water
2 tsp cornstarch
For the meal:
1/4 cup green onions, sliced

1. Working in batches dredge the cauliflower florets in the flour, dip into the eggs, and coat in the breadcrumbs before frying them in oil heated to medium-high (~350F/180C) until golden brown and setting them aside on paper towels to drain.

2. For the stir fried zoodles:

3. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds, add the zucchini noodles and saut?© until just tender, about 2-3 minutes.

4. For the honey lemon sauce:

5. Heat a pan over mediumh heat, add the mixture of the honey, lemon juice, soy sauce, broth, chill sauce, lemon zest, garlic, ginger and the mixture of the water and the corn starch and cook until the sauce thickens, about a minute, before adding the crispy cauliflower and tossing to coat.

6. For the meal:

7. Serve the cauliflower immediately over the zucchini noodles garnished with green onions.

Servings: 4

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Kitchen



Have a great day
 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - sorry about the last of the bowling. Glad you were able to get the grocery shop in - and am glad you were able to cope with the walk around. Well done on making the chili - love that sort of food.

    I love cauliflower ... but now you've told me what zoodles are ... a good name for them ... sounds an interesting recipe too - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chili was delicious Hilary. Didn't know what zoodles were? You surprise me. They aren't bad at all.

      Delete
  2. Sorry it hurts to walk, but better to walk and hurt a little than not walk and not be able to walk at all. Shame Matt doesn't realize that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Alex. I wish he realised it too. He just says I am "getting on to him" which I am, but of course he doesn't recognise it as trying to help. Did you see the pix with Lisa yesterday?

      Delete
  3. I was going to say what Alex said. Keep walking, it's good for you to stay active. But have they ever checked to see if it's low hemoglobin or the circulation? You've probably mentioned it, but I am forgetful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, last time my hemoglobin was low, they gave me a transfusion, and then iron pills. However, I have been thinking I should see the doc to get it checked again. As for Matt "it hurts" so he doesn't do it - especially if I try and persuade him to.

      Delete