Friday, July 26, 2019

Mandarin, Car, Card

Went to Mandarin as I said, and had a great lunch. I indulged myself on chocolate bacon, delicious, and especially so today they seemed to have used much more chocolate. And no, I didn't make ladydog eat any. Matt had some and seemed to enjoy it. Because they are still celebrating Canada (all month long) they still had some maple glazed salmon which is delicious. They also had miniature tortières. which I make anyway, and Poutine which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. I don't like gravy on fries in the first place and fries made soggy with anything turns me off.

On the way to the restaurant, the car was making the same noises as it had done before, basically it sounded like something rubbing against something else. After we had had lunch, it was even worse so we headed to the garage. They took it out for another drive and put it on the ramp lifting it up and down. They finally decided it was the right emergency brake cable rubbing against something. They replaced the left cable the other day. I just knew it wasn't cables slapping the bottom of the car. Anyway, taking it in on Friday afternoon - it will take 1 1/2 hrs, hopefully, and cost us another $240. I started singing the 16 tons story, St. Peter don't you call me 'cos I can't go, I owe my soul to Meineke. I later amended it to "You drive 16 miles and what do you get, another day older and deeper in debt. St. Peter don't you call me 'cos I can't go, I owe my soul to the Meineke store". Later on I did a card which I will take with me, the front picture is as follows:


I do wonder if this is an actual picture. They just might curl up in a warm engine. Anyway, inside the card is the changed song. Think they'll get a kick out of it. Really looking forward to sitting there for an hour and a half, that's three times this week. Boh, the office manager, said I knew I enjoyed hanging out with him drinking coffee. Riiiight. I told him to be careful his wife didn't find out.  He is a fun guy.

I had ordered some lamb's kidneys from the Victoria St. Market and Thursday they had arrived. After  leaving the restaurant  we went straight to the garage. ladydog was also going to the Market so I phoned her to tell her where we had gone so she wouldn't be concerned at us not turning up. She picked up the kidneys for me. 12 kidneys for $8 - not bad. So, the following recipe is mostly for her. And for anyone else who likes lamb's kidney of course. We also just fry them in butter or bacon grease to have for breakfast but although Devilled are traditionally a breakfast dish, Matt and I eat them for supper as do many people I am sure.

Devilled Kidneys

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs prepared English mustard (Colemans)
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs tomato purée
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and ground black pepper
2 Tbs butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
8 lamb's kidneys, skinned, halved and cored
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley to garnish

1. Mix the first 6 ingredients together (including salt and pepper) to make a sauce.

2. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the chopped shallot and cook stirring occasionally, until it is softened but not coloured.

3. Stir the kidney halves into the shallots in the pan and cook  over medium high heat for about 3 mins on each side.

4. Pour the sauce over the kidneys and quickly stir so that they become evenly coated. Serve immediately sprinkled with fresh parsley.

Servings: 4

Note: To remove the cores from the kidneys use sharp kitchen scissors rather than a knife. Much easier.

Source: The Ultimate Hot and Spicy Cookbook

Author Notes
"Devilled" dishes are always hot and spicy. If you have time, mix the spicy ingrendients together in advance to give the flavours time to mingle.

Have a great day
 

4 comments:

  1. The picture is hilarious. I think they will enjoy it.

    I get so tired of spending money on car repairs and boring stuff. This month, we had to repair the AC, get tires on one car, and will be paying college tuitions soon. I'd be ordering those cheap kidneys, but I'm not sure I could eat them just knowing they're kidneys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so Liz. I do so know what you mean, this brake cable is the result of my tire blow out when I had to put the emergency brake on as the car was lifted on one side to change the tire. Kidneys are delicious, but I guess it's a thing you have to start eating from childhood.

      Delete
  2. Kidneys? Uh. No thank you. My car is eleven years old, but less than 50,000 miles, so not expecting any repairs any time soon. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delicious Denise. I hope not for your sake Denise, my latest round is all because of the tire blowout.

      Delete