Friday, July 12, 2019

Emergency Brake Saga, Red Lobster, Car, Notre Dame,

Took the car in on Thursday morning, appointment at 11. ladydog picked us up shortly after 11 and we went to the Red Lobster. Mind you they hadn't started on the car. Eventually, once we had had lunch, I phoned the garage. They were going to be starting on it in about 20 minutes!!!! Apparently they had had some kind of hold up. OK I guess. So, to kill time, ladydog took us to Victoria St. Market as she wanted to go there anyway. We then came back and she dropped us off at the garage. Our car was already up in the air. After maybe half an hour, I hear them calling their supplier saying they had been sent a right hand brake cable instead of a left hand!!! I don't believe it. Won't be there before tomorrow so they put the car back together and we went home. In fact we have arranged for it next Tuesday. My lucky day or what?

I did have a great crab lunch though, three kinds of crab legs and claws. Yummy. Matt complained about the time I was taking but ladydog was being very supportive about it. Eventually I shut Matt up with an ice cream whilst I was still eating. Got two pieces of Chocolate Wave Cake to take home as well. Saturday dessert.

Because they have been cleaning the garage, I parked outside. Just this minute remembered (11:00) I forgot to go get the car. Not going down now. Dark out there. Matt wants a haircut tomorrow so will leave it til then.

I am sad to learn, although not terribly surprised from what I have been hearing about old cathedrals, that Notre Dame's arches are in danger of collapsing. Unfortunately this is the case with so many ancient cathedrals, many of which they have managed to save by shoring up the arches. I have linked to the article which is about a report from the chief architect in charge of the restoration. No doubt we will hear more in due course. I am referring to Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France, of course.

I have never had Banh Mi although I have seen different recipes for it, decided to try this one in the near future.

Grilled-Pork Banh Mi

Luke Nguyen grew up in Australia and learned to cook at his Vietnamese parents’ restaurant. He later
opened his own restaurant, The Red Lantern, in Sydney. On his first visit to Saigon 11 years ago, he had this simple sandwich filled with peppery pork and hoisin sauce.

1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
1 Tbs honey
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
6 scallions, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
6 8-inch-long rolls or 2 baguettes, cut into 8-inch lengths and split
Hoisin sauce and Sriracha chile sauce
Vegetable oil, for grilling
1/2 seedless cucumber, cut into 2-by-1/2-inch matchsticks
1 1/2 loosely packed cups cilantro sprigs

1. In a blender, puree the fish sauce with the honey, sugar, pepper, scallions and garlic. Transfer the marinade to a bowl, add the pork and toss. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Thread the pork through the top and bottom of each slice onto 12 bamboo skewers.

2. Spread the rolls with hoisin and Sriracha. Light a grill and oil the grates. Brush the pork with oil and grill over high heat, turning, until just cooked, 4 minutes. Place 2 skewers in each roll, close and pull out the skewers. Top with the cucumber and cilantro and serve.

Servings: 6

Source: FOOD & WINE

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - oh dear re the brake cable ... but glad you had a delicious lunch ... and excellent ladydog took you around ... take care ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladydog says it's turning into an epic Hilary. But yes, delicious lunch.

      Delete
  2. Such a hassle to have the wrong parts, but at least lunch turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin, who lives in Paris, came for lunch yesterday. We only had time for a short visit and talk and I totally forgot to ask him about the fire. Thanks for the update.
    I wish I lived in a city where I did not need a car and could use public transportation. We have virtually nothing where I live or in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cousin is a long way from home Denise, did you find your cousin in your searches?

      Basically I prefer having my own transport although, in fact, we do have excellent transportation here.

      Delete
    2. Known him all his life. He moved to Paris in the 90's to work and never came back home. He is a professor at the University.

      Delete
    3. Nice place to live Denise, I am envious. Used to love Paris. Mind you I loved Spain too.

      Delete
  4. You think they would've checked the part when it came in. What a pain in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess they are too busy Alex. Your right, it is a pain.

      Delete