Monday, July 8, 2019

Summer, Car Repair, Books, Cooking,

We seem to be getting summer weather now, in fact it has been pretty hot with 30°C temps feeling warmer than that. Did get some rain Friday but not much. We missed it on our ultrasound trip I'm pleased to say.

I have finally made an appointment to get my emergency brake cable installed. Taken me some time to get around to it. At least it's all paid for. I just hate sitting around waiting for things to be done. However, although I have only ever used the emergency brake once in my life, it apparently is a safety feature which I could get done for if I didn't have it. I don't think Matt ever used the emergency brake either. Maybe one should use it now and again to keep the thing in working order.

Very quiet weekend. Been reading Susan Gourley Kelley's books which I find difficult to put down. In fact I complained to her that I wasn't getting enough sleep. Right now I am reading Murder in the Marina by Ellen Jacobsen. I confess I cannot decided whether I am enjoying  the book or not. Some of it seems a bit too stupid but on the other hand, I want to know who the murderer is.

Saturday night I tried cooking the lamb chops the way I posted a week ago.. However, I had to make a number of changes, partly because I think the recipe was for a 6 qt Instant Pot and partly because whoever wrote it up was out of their gourd. It talked about using 3 tbs of salt - I don't think so thank you. However, with the alterations I made for my pot and so on, it turned out very well and was delicious. I will certainly do this again. Mind you, mine didn't look  this pretty.

Newer version

IP Lamb Chop - Jo's version

2 Tbs olive oil, split
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 Tbs rosemary, fresh
4   Lamb Loin Chops
1 tsp of jalapeno based hot sauce (or to taste)
¼ cup white wine
1/4-1/2 cup beef stock
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch mixed with a little water
salt and pepper (to taste )

1. Put Instant Pot onto Sauté, put in 1 1/2 tbs olive oil, let it come to Hot, add in lamb that has been salted and peppered. Sear on one side for about 2 minutes, flip, sauté for another 2 minute. Take out.

2. Add onions, sauté for 1 minute, add garlic, sauté for another minute. Turn off sauté, deglaze with white wine.

3. Place the carrots, the rest of the olive oil, a pinch of salt, pepper, and rosemary, into foil and wrap securely.

4. Add stock, hot sauce, salt, and pepper in with the onions and give a good stir.

5. Place carrots on top of the onions, trivet on top of carrots, and meat on top of the trivet. Set on High Pressure for 5 minutes for medium or 8 minutes for well. Let natural release for 15 minutes.

6. Take meat out and let rest. Stir carrots in with the onions. Mix cornstarch in with water and place in with onion mixture. Put on sauté for about 5 minutes or until thick.

7. Taste gravy and adjust seasoning.

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. Cool you're reading some blogger buddies' books.
    I have a stick shift, so I use the emergency brake daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And enjoying them Alex. I was up til 1 reading Murder in the Marina last night.

      I haven't driven a stick shift in years, not sure I would know how to any more.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've used the emergency brake either though like Alex said above, when I had a stick shift I used it every day.
    Thanks for telling everyone I'm keeping you awake. I really appreciate it.
    I stay up late to read too. I haven't made lamb in a long time. My daughter has spend some time in the Middle East and ask me to never make lamb again. She'd had way too much of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't remember much about driving a stick shift although, of course, I learned how to drive with one. Looong time ago Susan. As for telling everyone, I am warning them LOL.

      I love lamb and you don't have to cook it with Middle Eastern flavourings.

      Delete
  3. What is it about Murder in the Marina that seems stupid? Is it the writing or the subject? I love finding good books. I lose interest halfway through quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heroine is into UFOs and misses the most obvious clues or misconstrues them. I think it is supposed to be funny. I did read it through to the end and might try book 2.

      I have been reading books by Susan Kelley starting with The Marine's Queen. They are sci fi romances with punch. I enjoy them. Maybe you would too Pinky.

      Delete
  4. I rarely used it unless i parked on a hill but i use it a lot more since mewting mu hubby. Hope the book is going well. Back feom vacation and had a gret time but still off this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rarely park on a hill Birgit. One more book to go in the present series. Where did you go?

      Delete