Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Monday, Weather Forecast, Shopping,

We went to the lab to get some bloodwork done for Matt. Turned out I had got the wrong day. Duuh. Not too many people there so we waited. Not like me to make such a mistake. However, all done
now. It was pretty icy out. I was going to park the car out front of our building to have lunch and then maybe go bowling, however, it was icy there and I figured it was not a good idea for either of us to brave the parking area so went underground. Then I thought about bowling, didn't think we would get there early enough to park close to the building and figured walking across their parking lot might be dangerous too so we ended up staying home. Supposed to be one heck of a storm starting tonight, coming up from the south and dropping all kinds of nasty weather on it's way. 10 to 20 centimeters of snow, ice pellets and freezing rain. Strong winds too. Guess we won't be going very far if this does take place which, from the forecast I just heard, I think is pretty likely. I wonder if my Instapot will get delivered?? We have nothing planned for a couple of days so should be OK.

Thursday I am supposed to go to the Cannabis Lab. Been trying to get there for a week or two, would be a bugger if this storm lasted long enough to prevent me once again. We got some shopping today, Monday, and I planned to get some more on Thursday or possibly Friday although Matt has an ultrasound at the hospital on Friday. Have booked a ride, if we can get one. Whilst out shopping I went to Bulkville, we were nearly out of Peppered Cashews. Somebody's been munching and it wasn't me. This time the bin was virtually empty, I think I got as much pepper as I did nuts. My legs were being relatively good so I did a bit of wandering. I discovered they had some "Kisses" but not plain milk chocolate so bought some Almond Kisses. Not bad. I must check the place out some more next time I go. Trouble is, from the parking lot to the store is quite a walk for me these days. Sometimes need to sit down for a while.

This was the recipe I made a bit of a mess of on Saturday. The meat was perfect but as I said, the drizzle was way too sticky. We finished the meat on Monday night and I used some Barrie's Asparagus Mustard Horseradish, worked very well.  I don't have Maldon salt, but this recipe did seem to use rather a lot of salt so I cut back somewhat. One thing I forgot, the recipe calls for a grill/barbecue, we don't have one - not permitted here - so I used the broiler on the stove. Lowered the shelf and it worked out really well.

Beef Tenderloin with Asian Flavourings

An excellent choice for a special dinner. The meat has a rich, rounded flavour offset by the spicy
onions.

3 Tbs (45 mL) soy sauce
2 tsp (10 mL) grated ginger
2 tsp (10 mL) chopped garlic
2 tsp (10 mL) cracked peppercorns
1 Tbs (15 mL) vegetable oil
3 lbs (1.5 kg) beef tenderloin
Salt to taste

ONIONS
1 Tbs (15 mL) slivered ginger
1 Tbs (15 mL) soy sauce
1 Tbs (15 mL) rice or cider vinegar
1 tsp (5 mL) Asian chili sauce or other hot sauce
2 Tbs (30 mL) vegetable oil
2 large Spanish onions
cut in ½-inch-thick (1-cm) rounds
Salt to taste

DRIZZLE
¼ cup (60 mL) low-salt soy sauce
½ cup (125 mL) balsamic vinegar
1 tsp (5 mL) grated lime rind

GARNISH
Maldon salt

1. Combine soy sauce, ginger, garlic, peppercorns and oil. Brush on beef and let marinate for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Sprinkle with salt just before grilling.

2. Combine ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce and oil. Toss with onions then sprinkle onions lightly with salt. Reserve.

3. Preheat grill to high and turn off middle burner. Add meat to grill and grill with lid closed for 10 minutes, then turn over and grill another 15 minutes or until medium-rare. When you turn meat add onion slices to grill over the lit burners and grill for 5 minutes, turn over and grill another 5 minutes or until browned and juicy. Let tenderloin rest for 5minutes before carving.

4. Combine soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and lime rind in a small pot over high heat. Boil until syrupy, about 4 minutes.

5. Slice beef, sprinkle with Maldon salt and drizzle with soy balsamic glaze. Serve with onions.

Source: LCBO

Have a great day - I hope the bad weather misses you.
 

10 comments:

  1. Driveway looked good when I went to bed and now it is covered with snow and ice. Supposed to continue all morning. Can't wait for spring. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roads are white here Denise. Supposed to go on all morning here with the roads freezing and then rain on top of that. I will not be going anywhere. You stay safe too.

      Delete
  2. Hope the snow and ice don't hit too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the same Alex, but it's not looking good right now.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - it sounds as though it's not too good - I'm just glad I'm back on this side of the pond!! Lots over on the Island ... take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it isn't too good at the moment Hilary. Luckily we have nowhere to go so we can stay home and enjoy the snowed up park.

      Delete
  4. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you for Thursday and Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, it certainly is not good driving weather right now.

      Delete
  5. The weather was pretty yucky-had a snow day on Tuesday but Wednesday was bad too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Birgit. We didn't budge all day although the mail came.

      Delete