Saturday, November 18, 2017

Saturday Recipe

Jacques Pépin is one of my favourite chefs and I was looking through my cookbook tonight and came across this recipe. I luuuurve smoked salmon any which way, and this sounds delicious. Bit late this week, but next week I shall plan to have this I think. I just discovered that in 2015 I posted a similar recipe by Wolfgang Puck, another of my favourite chefs.

Smoked Salmon Pizza

1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 naan flatbreads or other style of flatbread you prefer (I used garlic naan)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp bottled horseradish, drained (I used 3 tsps)
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion (I did a quick pickle of my red onions--see note below)
8 oz sliced smoked salmon
2 Tbs drained capers
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (I subbed in coarsely chopped fresh tarragon)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush baking sheet or grill pan with oil and turn the naan in the oil to lightly coat both sides. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the bread is crusty and brown, or crisp in the pan 3-4 minutes per side or until nicely browned. Let cool to lukewarm.

2. Mix the sour cream and horseradish in a small bowl. Spread on the bread and sprinkle half of the onion over the sour cream mixture. Arrange the smoked salmon slices on top. Sprinkle the capers over the salmon and add the remaining onion and some freshly ground black pepper. Finally sprinkle with the cilantro (tarragon) leaves. Cut the pizza into wedges or slices and serve.

3. Quick Pickled Red Onions: This recipe had a lot of red onion in it and I was concerned that if left raw, they would overpower the other flavors. I did a quick pickle with about 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt shaken together in a jar with a very thinly sliced red onion. I left it to sit about 45 minutes before using on the pizza. I also drained the onions for the pizza and patted them dry with paper towels. It took the bite out perfectly. Since I had plenty of leftover onion, I added some to my salad and used a bit of the pickling liquid, mixed with an equal amount of olive oil as dressing.

Servings: 4

Author: More Fast Food My Way by Jacques Pépin

Have a great weekend
 

4 comments:

  1. OMG. Sounds delicious! Never thought to use naan bread. I always soak my red onion for fifteen minutes if I am using it raw. Your pickling sounds good. I may have to tweak my salmon appetizers for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it Denise? I could eat this right now.

      Delete
  2. I remember years ago when I worked at a law firm in CA, they took us all out to lunch for secretary's day two of my coworkers ordered smoked salmon. However when it came out, they were dismayed...it wasn't what they were expecting and they couldn't eat it. I have tried to like cooked salmon but I just don't. I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly like smoked salmon JoJo, but I enjoy salmon most ways I have ever tried cooking it.

      Delete