Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Piglet and Pooh, Bananas, Bowling, Medical,

I don't use Facebook a lot these days but happened to go in tonight. I came across a cartoon which I thought was funny. There appear to be two or three of these cartoons. Piglet and Pooh talking about the current US President. I was going to show the cartoon here but changed my mind as I didn't wish to be offensive.

This week, I tried the recommended way of keeping bananas by wrapping them tightly in plastic and putting them in the fridge. I think it was Helen Venn who suggested it. It worked beautifully so that is what we will be doing from now on. Thank you.

Bowling was pretty disastrous today. Two of our team didn't turn up, nor did they bowl ahead which is very unusual of them. They didn't phone the alley or anything so I am wondering what happened. I had one good game as did Matt but the other team of 5 bowlers beat us although one game they only beat us by 13 pins. Oh well, I can't see us climbing back up very far for the rest of the season.

Tuesday it's our annual visit to the optometrist - don't anticipate any problems or changes. Wednesday back to the doctor's with Matt's skin cancers which do seem to be clearing up OK. He is still wearing the Cardiac Event Monitor, it seems to be clocking up events even though Matt hasn't felt anything in the way of dizziness or anything else - he says. Has to wear it for one more week.

If you want something ooey gooey and decadently sinful for the holidays, how about this dessert? It comes from Closet Kitchen where there are quite a few different pictures of this delicious looking treat.

Pecan Pie Cheesecake with Pecan Caramel Sauce

A pecan pie topped with a cheesecake topped with a pecan caramel sauce!

FOR THE CRUST:
1 3/4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (or graham cracker crumbs)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

FOR THE PECAN PIE FILLING:
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup maple syrup (or corn syrup)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1 1/2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped

FOR THE CHEESECAKE FILLING:
3 (8 ounce) bricks cream cheese, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

FOR THE PECAN CARAMEL TOPPING:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup toasted pecans, chopped

FOR THE CRUST:

 Mix the crumbs, butter and sugar and press into the bottom of a 8-10 inch spring form pan.

FOR THE PECAN PIE FILLING:

Bring the brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, eggs, vanilla and pecans to a boils and simmer until it thickens, about 5 minutes, before pouring into the crust in the springform pan.

FOR THE CHEESECAKE FILLING:

Beat the cream cheese, sugar, eggs, cream and vanilla until smooth before pouring on top of the pecan pie filling in the springform pan, wrap the bottom of the pan in foil, place in a larger pan with a small amount of hot water and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until set, about 60 minutes. (It is recommended that you let the cheesecake cool completely on the counter and then chill it in the fridge overnight, but it's also amazing while still warm from the oven!)

FOR THE PECAN CARAMEL TOPPING:

Heat the butter and sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat until bubbling, let it bubble for 3 minutes, carefully add the heavy cream, mix until smooth and add the cinnamon and pecans and let cool before pouring on the cooled cheesecake

Servings: 12

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Kitchen

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. I Googled the cartoons. Yes, offensive but true. I also pinned the recipe. I love cheesecake, caramel and nuts. Let me know if you make it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must say, I thought they were funny Denise. I doubt I will be making it. I can't imagine how many calories a slice of it would be.

      Delete
  2. How rude not to let you know they couldn't make it.

    I ignore the political stuff on Facebook and Twitter. I get so tired of the bashing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather Diane.

      I don't go on Facebook much any more, but this cartoon struck me as funny.

      Delete
  3. I wonder what A.A. Milne would say about his characters being exploited. The politics in Australia has become a ludicrous shamozzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess he wouldn't be too happy about it Pinky. When I saw it at first I thought it was funny, but on second and third thoughts, I guess it really isn't. Glad I didn't post it.

      Delete
  4. I love pecan pie, but I have never made it. My neighbor used to make me a plate of little mini pies. They were delicious. No one else in my family likes it, so if I made one, I'd eat it all myself and that would be a very bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you and I should live closer Liz. I love pecan pie too and would never make it for the same reason as you.

      Delete
  5. I hope your bowling friends are OK. That cheesecake looks great! I haven't had cheesecake in ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I JoJo. Messaged them on FB but not had a reply. Well it's both cheesecake and pecan pie.

      Delete