Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Scaffolding, Red Lobster, Bowling Banquet, Recipe by Request,

They have finished erecting the scaffolding on our tier and are now in the process of building the wooden formers to hold the concrete. Hopefully that will be poured soon to give it a chance to cure before there is any concern about cold weather. This is how it was across from us last year and how it presumably looks here now. There are lots of predictions, especially amongst my exercise group, that these balconies will not be finished this year. I hope they are wrong.

We had an excellent supper at the Red Lobster and I ate my Dueling
Crab Legs with much pleasure. Matt polished off a large chunk of Chocolate Wave Cake (he only ate seafood stuffed mushrooms and a Caesar Salad), so I ordered a serving to bring home. The serving in the restaurant includes ice cream but I wouldn't have had that anyway. I like ice cream and I like cake, but not together thanks. Matt ordered his way before I had finished my crab. I guess he figured that way he wouldn't have to share any at all. I got at least two forkfuls last time!!!

Tomorrow, of course, is our final day of Summer League bowling so we are having our "banquet". High falutin' word for lunch of KFC. Matt and I will continue to bowl twice a week on Wed. and Thurs. until the winter league starts when it will be Monday and Thursday. Preferable, to two days combined. We also have to watch someone else be fĂȘted for being in first place. Grrrr.

In the last few days I thought about Picadillo which for some reason we haven't made in years. There are lots of different versions of this recipe depending on which part of South America you are searching. Everyone seems to have their own recipe.  Today, when we were shopping, I was talking to the cashier who follows my blog and I promised her I would post the recipe. I also mentioned the Korean Bulgogi Flank Steak to her as well. I have already posted this recipe. I hadn't realised I had been making this for a year, off and on. I actually bought a couple of pieces of flank steak today.

Picadillo


1 tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 lb lean ground beef
5 green olives, pitted and halved
1-1/2 oz capers, rinsed and drained
2 tsps wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 dried bay leaf
1/2 tsp hot sauce
2 cups canned tomatoes, half-drained
Handful Raisins


This recipe has been scaled back from 12 servings to four.

In a large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic, onion and green pepper until onions are transparent. Transfer onion mixture to a bowl and set aside. In the same pot, heat the remaining olive oil and brown the ground beef.

In a separate saucepan, combine the olives, capers, vinegar, salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and hot sauce. Let simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.

Place the olive mixture and the onion mixture into the pot with the ground beef. Add the half drained tomatoes and cook for 1 hour over medium heat; stirring occasionally.

Servings: 4

Author Notes
"Ground beef, onions, green bell peppers, garlic and tomatoes, stewed together and seasoned with cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves. Can be served alone or with rice."


Have a great day

11 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - I sure hope you're not too inconvenienced by all the works ... glad the lobster lunch was good - and you have more to have at home; the Picadillo sounds good - love the idea of olives and capers included in the dish ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well right now it is pretty dark in our apartment because of the scaffolding Hilary. Crab dinner actually, but yes, delicious. I like Picadillo very much.

      Delete
  2. I haven't eaten at Red Lobster since my boys were little. Do they post calorie counts on their menu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do here Denise. As do the Mandarin. It's the law. I never look if I can help it though. I figure if I'm out, what the heck.

      Delete
    2. Of course then I had to look it up. Dueling Crab Legs is 750 calories but they add in a corn cob which is dressed with something. That's got to be 150 at least.

      Delete
    3. Not so bad if that is your main meal.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. LOL Diane, it is a bowling alley after all and the summer league doesn't generate as much money as the winter league.

      Delete
  4. Hey Jo,

    Oh yuck to scaffolding. I have been staring out at scaffolding for over four months now. Instead of sky, I see planks, lots of planks.

    All the best on your final day of summer league bowling.

    Picadillo looks like a healthy recipe.

    Cheers,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to goodness this isn't going to be around for 4 months Gary.

    Fun day. Not competitive. Picadillo is a delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete