Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mrs. Barrie’s Asparagus Soup

For those of you who would like it, here is Mrs. Barrie’s Asparagus soup. I have made this many times now and it freezes well with all the ingredients in it as well as the purée as mentioned by Mrs. Barrie.

Barrie's Asparagus Soup Recipe

My Mom's Famous!!! Asparagus soup

1 lb asparagus chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tbs butter or margarine
2 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
fresh chives for garnish

1. In a covered saucepan, boil the asparagus, onion, and 1 cup of the chicken broth. When asparagus is still tender and bright green blend to a purée (this puree can be frozen and used for future batches).

2. In a large saucepan heat the butter and flour on medium to make a paste. Cook until golden. Stir occasionally as you add the 2nd cup chicken broth, making sure lumps don't form.

3. Stir in the salt, pepper, puree, milk. Bring to a boil.

4. Take soup off heat. Measure the yogurt or sour cream into a bowl and stir in spoonfuls of hot soup, little by little. Now, carefully stir this warmed yogurt or sour cream mixture back into the pan of soup.

5. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice, or to taste.

6. Serve in individual bowls, sprinkled with chopped chives.

(makes 3 1/2 to 4 cups of soup)

Hope you enjoy

Jo

4 comments:

  1. OK. I am definitely going to make this! It sounds terrific and I am way overdue for some cooking. Thanks!
    Denine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now asparagus season is here I will be posting lots of asparagus recipes. This soup I make in large batches several times during the asparagus season and freeze.

      Delete
  2. Perfect recipe, making it tonight, but not with the fresh asparagus that you have Jo, just super market asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame. My bowling friend for whom I got some fresh the other day left an excited message on my answering machine saying how right I was about the difference and how wonderful they are. I hope you have a chance to buy some from a farm one day. Enjoy the soup, I think its excellent.

      Delete