For those of you who would like it, here is Mrs. Barrie’s Asparagus soup. I have made this many times now and it freezes well with all the ingredients in it as well as the purée as mentioned by Mrs. Barrie.
Barrie's Asparagus Soup Recipe
1 lb asparagus chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tbs butter or margarine
2 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
fresh chives for garnish
1. In a covered saucepan, boil the asparagus, onion, and 1 cup of the chicken broth. When asparagus is still tender and bright green blend to a purée (this puree can be frozen and used for future batches).
2. In a large saucepan heat the butter and flour on medium to make a paste. Cook until golden. Stir occasionally as you add the 2nd cup chicken broth, making sure lumps don't form.
3. Stir in the salt, pepper, puree, milk. Bring to a boil.
4. Take soup off heat. Measure the yogurt or sour cream into a bowl and stir in spoonfuls of hot soup, little by little. Now, carefully stir this warmed yogurt or sour cream mixture back into the pan of soup.
5. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice, or to taste.
6. Serve in individual bowls, sprinkled with chopped chives.
(makes 3 1/2 to 4 cups of soup)
Hope you enjoy