Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wedding, Training, Spring???

I spoke to a British friend on the phone yesterday who said what was really annoying her about the royal wedding was the continuous comparisons with Diana. I do so much agree, its Catherine’s wedding not Diana’s. I know the engagement ring was originally Diana’s but it is traditional to pass on family jewellery, in particular engagement rings and has normally nothing to do with remembering the mother. I don’t know whether these were really thoughts of William’s or whether it was the media who spread these ideas. I am sorry it happened, but Diana is no longer with us and Friday is Catherine’s day, stop spoiling it.

This morning I have to go for my election office training. 9:30 a.m. Means I have had to get up early, grrr. Not so much getting up as having to rush around having breakfast and my shower, etc. etc. Mind you for election day itself I will have to get up even earlier so I shouldn’t complain. Of course its pretty thick fog so might have to leave a tad earlier.

I keep hearing how nice the weather is in England at the moment, I am so jealous particularly because of the asparagus. However, I went to have an ECG yesterday and there were shrubs near the office which hadDaffs green leaves on. Good sign I hope. There are lots of robins too, but we don’t seem to be getting anything more than rain, guess I should be grateful it isn’t cold or it would be more of that white stuff. We have daffodils out front as well as crocus. They have been working on all the grass surrounding the building, but the sun is still keeping hidden.

I get a regular email from Dr. Oz and I found a Weight Watcher’s asparagus recipe being offered in their email. I love asparagus, I love risotto, so I can’t go wrong can I? Of course, Barrie Bros. are not yet selling asparagus so I am out of luck at the moment.

Weight Watchers™ Asparagus Risotto

Ingredients

Makes 6 (1 cup) servings AsparagusRisotto

1/2 tsp table salt, for cooking water 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces Cooking spray 1 tbsp unsalted butter 3 small shallot, minced 1 cup uncooked arborio rice 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice 4 cup canned chicken broth 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, such as Parmigianno-Reggiano 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Add asparagus to pot; blanch for 2 minutes. Immediately remove asparagus from pot and place them into ice water (to stop them from cooking and help retain their bright green color); set aside. Coat a medium pot with cooking spray and set over medium heat; melt butter. Add shallots; cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add rice and toss to coat; cook for 2 minutes. Add lemon juice; cook, until all lemon juice has been absorbed, stirring continuously so rice does not stick to sides of pot, about 1 minute. Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer; keep warm. Add 1/2 cup of hot broth to pot at a time; stir until absorbed. Repeat with remaining broth, making sure each addition of broth is absorbed before adding more. This process takes about 20 minutes.

When rice turns creamy and just done (should be slightly chewy and not mushy), remove pot from heat; add cheese and stir well. Stir in asparagus; season with salt and pepper.

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I agree. The wedding is not about Diana. It's William and Catherine's day. I suppose it's partly because Diana's wedding was such a big do, and William is her son, but still I'd love to tell the media, leave off Diana and concentrate on the couple, for goodness sake.

    Hope your training goes well, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took a lot longer than I thought, Matt's wasn't nearly so long although I though my instructor was better. Had the same guy last election.

    ReplyDelete