Friday, April 8, 2011

THE Dress, Hair Cutting, Car Repairs.

DianaCharlesI must confess I will be really glad when the wedding of William and Catherine takes place, I am tired of all the speculation about her dress. Hey, it’ll be white with a veil and probably a train!!! This morning they were talking aboufergusont the dresses for Diana and Fergie. They hadn’t taken into account that Diana’s dad was quite a large gentleman so the dress got somewhat crushed on the drive to the church. With Fergie they found out that the carpet in the church had to be carefully vacuumQEII Dressed the previous night to have all the pile lying in the right direction so that her train didn’t get thrown askew. How incredible. The after all the fuss they both got divorced. I do so hope this won’t happen with William and Catherine. Just as a contrast, I thought I would include a picture of the queen’s dress when she got married. I wonder what they do about the “something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue” tradition. I vaguely remember it being mention during Diana’s wedding, but I don’t know what the answers were.

According to GMA today, people are starting to cut their own hair because of the expense of going to a salon, bearing in mind some of the prices they quoted, anything from $45 to $800, I would think so. However, they are making a big hoo haa of it; I cut my own hair for many years, I think its easy. The only reason I don’t do it any more is sheer laziness plus I only pay $15 to get it done. I have a cutter which is a bit like a comb with a razor blade and it works really well.

I am a bit teed off to say the least, I haven’t been bowling for a couple of weeks and was planning to do so today. Matt took the car in for some bodywork on Wednesday and we still haven’t got it back. We may get it at noon, but we may not I guess. Bowling starts at 1.

This recipe came from Cooking.com and as I have been looking for something new to do with chicken, it caught my eye.

Braised Chicken with Scallion Purée

Source: Saveur Magazine

4 servingsBraised Chicken Scallion Puree

INGREDIENTS

2 teaspoon vegetable oil

1 chicken, cut into 4 pieces

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

5 bunches scallions, trimmed and thickly sliced

1/3 cup white wine

3 cups chicken stock

2 russet potatoes, peeled and quartered

2 tablespoon heavy cream

DIRECTIONS

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and cook, skin side down, until golden, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken, add two thirds of the scallions, and brown chicken on other side, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a platter.

Continue to cook scallions until just soft, 1 to 2 minutes more. Add wine, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon, and reduce by half. Return chicken to skillet, and add stock and potatoes. Reduce heat to medium low, and braise, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 50 minutes.

Transfer chicken to a platter, and loosely cover with foil. Strain braising liquid into a small bowl. Transfer potatoes and scallions to a medium bowl. Return braising liquid to skillet, and reduce by half over high heat. Add remaining scallions, and cook for 30 seconds. Mash reserved potatoes and scallions with a fork; then stir in heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Put potatoes on a serving platter, arrange chicken over potatoes, and spoon scallions over chicken.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, royal wedding dresses! Yes, they are all white, long-sleeved, trained, and topped with a veil - but it's lovely to see a new bride in a new outfit, full of hope...

    I'm with you, Jo, in hoping that this will be a lasting marriage. If they play their cards right, Wills and Kate might just manage to save the monarchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know it needed saving. But it will certainly be watched by millions on TV

    ReplyDelete