Monday, December 9, 2019

Water Shut Off, Christmas Syndrome, Busy Busy, Instant Pot

There are notices all over this apartment building announcing that the water will be cut off, once again, on Monday at 8 a.m. and that access to the underground parking will be unavailable all day so, if we want our cars, we need to move them by 9. I decided to move mine on Sunday morning so downstairs I went and there was a piece of "police type" tape over the garage entry so I couldn't get at the car anyway. I actually forgot that there was a second door (only ever used it once in 19 years) and, as it turned out, I could still use it. (Took a phone call to the super to remind me). I ended up parking in the visitor parking lot as it is closer to the door. Only problem was, it is as icy as a skating rink so somewhat dangerous. I had to move the car so Matt could get out on dry ground. However, if we want to bowl on Monday, it's gotta be done. Hope it doesn't snow overnight that will really tee me off. That's the only trouble with living in a building which was built over 40 years ago. Lots of things are wearing out. Pipes being the #1 problem these days. The elevators were replaced some years ago and lots of internal things like the tiles in the hallways, not forgetting the balconies which, if you are a long time reader, you will know all about.

Have you heard of Christmas syndrome? I hadn't until today. Apparently when we bring home Christmas trees were are also bringing in mould which is on all trees in one form or another, not only that, we store our synthetic trees in the attic and so on and they too pick up mould during the year and we then bring into the living area which is why many of us end up sniffling and snuffling at this time of the year. Personally I have just gone off Christmas decorations, I've only got a few but I have been sniffing and snuffling like mad lately but didn't know why. Who knew?

We have one hell of a busy week coming up, Monday Bowling, Tuesday Foot Nurse, Mandarin Lunch, Shopping, Wednesday coffee with my Alzheimer group, later in the day a pharmacist is coming to give us our annual review of medications, Thursday I have a blood work appointment at 8:30 a.m. Of course I forgot exercise classes amongst that lot. Think I will be totally knackered by the end of the week. With any luck Zoey will be bringing lunch one day and getting ladydog to drive her here.

This sounded a nice soup to maybe fill in some times during the holidays. I figure, once again, it is a cinch for my Instant Pot. Talking of which, I finally got round to checking, I can fit two ramekins in my pot so it won't be too difficult to make my lava cakes. Checking over this recipe again I see it uses fish sauce. I bought some a couple of weeks ago and can't remember what for - duuh.

Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup

We've deviated slightly from the classic version of a popular Thai soup by adding rice to make it more substantial. Serve it with lime wedges; a squirt at the table does wonders

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3), cut into 2 1/2-by-1/4-inch strips
3 Tbs Asian fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam)
1 1/2 Tbs lime juice
1 quart plus 3/4 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
3 stalks lemongrass, bottom third only, peeled, smashed, and cut into 2-inch pieces, or three 3-inch-by-1/4-inch strips lemon zest
1 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, cut into thirds
1/2 cup long-grain rice
1 3/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk (15-ounce can)
2 fresh red chiles or jalapeƱo peppers, seeds and ribs removed, cut crosswise into thin slices
3 Tbs chopped cilantro

1. In a medium glass dish or stainless-steel pan, combine the chicken strips with the fish sauce and lime juice. Set aside.

2. In a large saucepan, bring the broth, lemongrass, and ginger to a simmer. Add the rice; simmer until the rice is almost done, about 15 minutes.

3. Add the coconut milk and bring back to a simmer. Stir in the chicken and marinade and cook until the chicken is just done, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chiles and cilantro.

Servings: 4

Tips Asian fish sauce is available at Asian markets and many supermarkets.

Source: FOOD and WINE

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. That is a very, very busy week. I do hope that lots of it is fun - and the rest productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about that Sue. But I guess it's nice to be occupied.

      Delete
  2. We've been lucky after that early snowstorm. Will be in the 50's today with rain, but tempos are supposed to drop overnight.
    I used to be sick every Christmas. Turns out my mould allergies are the problem. Bought an artificial tree 40 years ago, and several since, and have never had another issue. I store mine in the basement, but keep a dehumidifier running all summer. Except for the tree and my village, all the decorations are up, but I have pared back. Even have a box of angels to take to the Salvation Army today.
    Stay safe on the ice - from someone who fell on it in college and broke a leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too Denise. It has been pretty warm here, looked out of the window and the snow has done a big melt since yesterday.

      That sounds like the way to do it with your tree. Will try and be careful on the ice. Matt had a fall on it once and ended up with back surgery.

      Delete
  3. Hope you were snow-free this morning.
    Glad we have a fake tree and not a real one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I Alex. A fake tree can do the same thing, depending on where you keep it.

      Delete
  4. I hope you make it to bowling without having to scrape snow.

    I was already sniffling before the tree was cut down, so it's maintaining its innocence on that front. Since I've joined the teaching ranks, I am at ground zero for sniffles, coughs, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did thanks Liz. Phew. Mind you it was chucking it down.

      Yes, I guess you would be.

      Delete