Monday, November 23, 2015

Windows 10, Carbonite, Bowling.

Today, Monday, I downloaded Windows 10 for my desktop. I have had 10 on my laptop for quite a while now but it has taken them forever to produce a version which would automatically start without typing in a password. Now I have it. Everything is working fine. For the laptop I backed up a few things which are not covered, but on my desktop everything is backed up off site with a great programme called Carbonite. I have been using this site for years and have occasionally had to get my stuff back from them which is really easy to do. I have, in the past, lost stuff through not being properly backed up and it is very frustrating to put it mildly.

Bowling was the usual story. I bowled pretty well in the first game and pretty badly in the second two. Matt didn't have very good games at all. There was only one other member of our team today and she had 3 super games. We told her she couldn't play with us any more, she was too good! She sure showed us up today. Talking of bowling, I posted a pic I have used before, with me holding one of my bowling balls. The swirling colours inspired Birgit at BB Creations to design a Christmas Card. In her card the ball became a tree decoration.

Tuesday, I plan to do some sauce preparations for the freezer. I will be able to try out my new footstool. Ivy, at The Happy Whisk, assures me it does work, she used to do it when she prepped food, and that they used to call it The Captain Morgan. If you have ever seen the ads you will know what she meant.

The picture for this cake really made me feel hungry to try it. Not sure why. The recipe sounds delicious though. One thing I personally would change, I would probably use pecans as I find walnuts around here are rather bitter.

Greek Walnut Spice Cake

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

12 servings



A rich, flavorful syrup infuses this Mediterranean-inspired walnut coffee cake with the bright
aroma of oranges and cloves. Heart-healthy olive oil and whole-grain barley flour add subtle complexity and texture to this nutty treat.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour, (see Note)
  • 1/2 cup barley flour, (see Note)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
  • 1 small strip orange zest, (1-by-1-inch)
  • 2 whole cloves

Instructions

Step 1
To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square glass baking dish with cooking spray and dust it with flour, shaking out the excess.
Step 2
Spread walnuts on a baking sheet and toast, stirring once halfway, until fragrant, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
Step 3
Whisk whole-wheat flour (see Measuring Tip), barley flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until thoroughly blended. Combine yogurt with orange zest and juice in a small bowl and stir until smooth; gradually whisk into the egg mixture along with oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in 2 additions, stirring well in between until just blended. Fold in 1 cup of the walnuts. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Step 4
Bake the cake until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 35 to 45 minutes.
Step 5
To prepare syrup: Meanwhile, combine 1/3 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup brown sugar, orange zest strip and cloves in a small heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring a few times. Adjust heat to maintain a simmer and cook until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes (you will have a scant 1/3 cup); remove the zest and cloves. Let cool.
Step 6
When the cake is done, transfer the pan to a wire rack. Using a toothpick, pierce the top in about 18 places and brush the syrup over the cake 3 or 4 times, allowing it to seep in each time. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup walnuts and let cool for 30 minutes; loosen the edges with a knife; cut into 12 squares. Enjoy warm or room temperature.

Tips

Ingredient notes: Barley flour has a mild yet distinct flavor, which some describe as slightly sweet and malty. Barley is high in fiber and has a low glycemic index. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or at natural-foods stores; it’s often available in bulk. Store in the freezer. White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available in large supermarkets and at natural-foods stores. (Or find it online from bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com.) Store it in the freezer. Measuring tip: We use the “spoon and level” method to measure flours. Here’s how it is done: Use a spoon to lightly scoop flour from its container into a measuring cup. Use a knife or other straight edge to level the flour with the top of the measuring cup.

Have a great day
 

30 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Jo. I hope it works for you. I had to stand so many hours when I was a prep cook that we had to do something.

    Love that cake and I'm with you, I'd switch out for pecans as well. And you gave me a great idea. I've never made barely flour but you know how I love to ground everything so that'll be my new ingredient next go.

    Thanks bunches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, this wasn't supposed to be up yet Ivy. I hope it works too.

      Never used barley flour but it sounds good.

      Delete
    2. There's only four ingredients that I can't use here, but I could probably work around that. But even if I don't, I'm for sure giving barely flour a go.

      Off to bed, I think.

      Thanks again :-)

      Delete
    3. Barley Ivy, not barely. I am sure you will find a way to do it.

      Delete
    4. My bad. You're right.

      Wish they would have used metric. I won't even buy books unless they are metric first. As a baker and food writer, volume measurements are a waste of my time because metric RULES!

      Have a good one. I'm logging out for the day. Wishing you the best.

      Delete
    5. Funny Ivy, I don't like metric at all. I didn't use it as a youngster and I have never got used to it.

      Delete
    6. Understandable because you're not really a baker baker. But for me, metric or even imperial has an accuracy un-matched by volume.

      Delete
    7. I do use imperial, that's what I have always used.

      Delete
    8. When I make my husband's lemonade, I'll use imperial because it's nice to weigh in ounces for that. I know he uses 6oz for the big glass jar of lemonade but only 3oz when I make the iced tea.

      But when I'm baking, I use metric for liquid (mls). Either way, it's great fun and guess what? I got barley today at the market and barley syrup. Never had the syrup but I'm excited to give both a go.

      Delete
    9. Great that you got barley Ivy. It is/was a very popular ingredient in the UK.

      Delete
    10. Mamam used to use barely a lot as well (Hungarian gram).

      Delete
    11. I haven't used it in years Ivy. Guess I should do so.

      Delete
  2. I've been afraid to download windows 10 here; afraid it might mess up the computer somehow. Glad to hear things worked out good for you :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said Betty, if you are not properly backed up, make sure you do it and then download Win 10. You might as well get up to date as it's for free. The laptop has had it for quite a long while now.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the shout out-Gosh I love that bowling ball:) It is so pretty-hahahaa-it really is. It sounds like you are having a pretty non event time with Windows 10 which is great! The cake sounds quite good and I love walnuts but I know what you mean about the bitterness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another bowler has the same ones and it is a nuisance when we bowl alongside each other although they are both inscribed with initials. I like Win 10. For some reason, Birgit, the walnuts we used to get in England were not bitter.

      Delete
  4. My first time to get away from Windows 7 and straight to Windows 10. So far, I'm okay with it. The IT guy told me it's better than 8 though I wouldn't know. :)

    Thanks for the recipe. This looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Lux, I went from 7 to 10. Heard some really bad things about 8.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo - I haven't risked 10 yet .. one day I will. The Walnut cake looks delicious. I agree the colours would make a good Christmas decoration .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to use Hilary. No problems whatsoever. Maybe I should put my bowling balls under the tree LOL

      Delete
  6. Your bowling ball is beautiful. Bowling's come a long way in the last 40 years. Every now and then I watched the PBA, a few years ago and the bowlers were announced with pyrotechnics and light shows. One of them had a ball that was clear and had a white skull inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so JoJo. You are watching 10 pin I play 5 pin which is only in Canada. I have seen clear balls with dice inside.

      Delete
  7. Ivy would know!
    That was a really nice card Birgit designed.
    Good to hear they are finally working out some of the bugs in Windows 10. I'll download it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, going to try it out later Alex.

      It was a nice card. I don't know about Microsoft, but I have never had any problems with Win 10.

      Delete
  8. I have had no problems with Windows 10 other than losing my games. Which I really don't miss. I've always had my PC password protected. You just never know what might happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are both password protected Denise, but the desktop opens automatically with the password. Well it's supposed to anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to paint our 'redundant' tenpin bowling balls with Hammerite paint and put them in the garden as decorations ... such a shame just to ditch them at the end of their working lives.

    I haven't got a sweet tooth but must admit that cake looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Sue. A lot of people sell their redundant balls at the bowling alley.

      I don't think it would be that sweet. Thought you guys were away?

      Delete
    2. I'm glad your Microsoft update went well. I got really fed up with the problem issues I was having with Microsoft quite a while ago and switched to a Mac -which also has problems but not as many as far as I can tell.
      Did I miss the details about your footstool? I can't remember hearing about it before. What is special about it?

      Delete
    3. Funny Helen, I have never really had any problems with MS.

      The idea with the stool is, if you get backache whilst cooking, you stand with one foot on the stool whilst you are working. Alternating the foot of course.

      Delete