Monday, November 16, 2015

Books, The Everglades, Paris and ISIS,

Phew, I have finally finished Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb. I enjoyed the book immensely but it took some reading. Now I assume I have to wait forever to get the last book in the trilogy. I have heard people say they don't start reading trilogies, etc. until they know the last book is out. Not a bad idea but it would mean a lot of reading all at once. I do find myself thinking "oh yes, I remember that, but how did it come about?". Talking of books, the Violet Needham book I mentioned ordering, arrived on Friday. It will have to wait until I have got through all these library books though. I got them to recycle another one which had arrived. As it is, I still have 3 to go. I have never had this problem before and I am not too happy reading under pressure like this. I cannot believe that books I requested so far apart ended up arriving at the same time. I just discovered there is a Goodreads mention of The Horn of Merlyn's. These Violet Needham books are 70 or so years old. I am staggered they should be mentioned. I am staggered I could still get this book anyway.

Matt and I started watching a programme about the Everglades in Florida. There are creatures there
that are found nowhere else in the world. But the Everglades is being deprived of water because - guess - man is taking a lot of it for his own purposes. I found it so distressing that I couldn't watch it any more. There is absolutely nothing I personally can do about it. If you are an American, you should be protesting about it. Another problem in the Everglades, I was already aware of, was the masses of Pythons which now live there - guess why? Man again. Purchasing exotic pets, tiring of
them and then releasing them. They are causing a shift in the balance of the ecosystem. The more I see of what man has done or is doing, the more I am glad I won't be here to worry about it for that much longer. We saw another programme the other day about a huge underground waterway below Death Valley outside the area of Las Vegas. They want to tap it to provide water for the ever expanding city. There is a very rare fish living in this underground lake which would probably disappear. An Australian friend of mine has predicted (she is not alone) that the next World War will be fought about water.

I haven't written about Paris, there are many people doing so. I have spent time there and love the city
so I am sorry they were attacked. I personally am worried about ISIS even thought we Canadians have been assured, by our defense minister, Harjit Sajjan, that we do not have to be afraid of them. I think that is a load of nonsense. I have described it in stronger language but usually refrain from doing so on my blog. One particular well known member of ISIS is (I'm ashamed to say) an Englishman known as Jihadi John. If he landed in any North American airport, who would know who he was.

Here's a nice easy breakfast/brunch dish to do - particularly if you are entertaining. This is from Kraft Kitchens.

Bacon and Egg Squares

Hello, new favorite brunch idea! These cheesy Bacon and Egg Squares start with a golden brown hash brown crust—and just get more delicious from there.

Serves 12

  • 1 doz. eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 pkg. (8 oz.) KRAFT Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
  • 6 slices cooked Bacon, crumbled, divided
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • Heat oven to 450ºF.
  • Crumble hash browns into 15x10x1-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray; press gently to form even layer.
  • Bake 15 to 20 min. or until golden brown. 
  • Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk and sour cream in large bowl until blended; stir in half each of the cheese and bacon.
  • Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF. Pour egg mixture over crust; bake 15 to 20 min. or until set. Remove from oven. Top with remaining bacon and cheese; sprinkle with onions. Let stand 5 min. before cutting to serve. 

Have a great day
 

30 comments:

  1. Hi Jo! I'm with you over the ISIS thing. I've posted about it today, but couldn't restrain myself as nicely as you did. I don't think anyone's safe...Paris has shown us that we're all fair game as we go about our daily lives.

    I hope the wait for the third in the triology is not too long.

    Your recipe sounds simple and easy and tasty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Denise. Will be interested to read your post. I suspect it will be a long wait for the next book.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - interesting you read Violet Needham's book ... and those bacon and egg squares are always a good eat.

    Paris is just terrible for those who have died, who are suffering now because of injuries or loss ... we can't over react, we need to think first ... as it will divide us all - and we need and can live together ... very few are terrorists ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read them many years ago and have owned several for years Hilary.

      It is a terrible situation but you are right we shouldn't over-react.

      Delete
  3. At least we no longer have to worry about Jihadi John - he was killed last week in an American attack, according to the news.
    On a brighter note, those bacon and egg squares look ideal for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to hear it PL.

      They do sound good don't they?

      Delete
  4. There was a movie that came out in the 80s...I'm not sure it was widely released and I saw it on video...called 'World gone wild' and it was a post apocalyptic story and the desperate fight over water. It's sad that this is becoming a reality. And I do not understand why there isn't more R&D into desalinization plants. There's tons of water in the ocean and not a drop to drink.

    As to the library books you mentioned, that's the exact reason I don't go. I can't possibly be expected to stick to a one or two week time table to read a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right JoJo. The island of Malta has no rivers so they practice desalinization - if they can, we should.

      My timetables are plenty long enough. Occasionally I get a book which has a waiting list, but I am still given about 3 weeks to read it. Otherwise I can renew the books to give myself plenty of time. I have never had this happen before though that I ordered all these books a widely spaced intervals and then they arrived at the same time. I love my library.

      Delete
  5. That breakfast recipe looks delicious :) Could be good for a family holiday brunch :) In my opinion, for whatever it is worth, I don't think governments are taking ISIS as seriously as they should. Paris might have been a wake up call.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be great for entertaining Betty. I think you are quite right, they are not taking ISIS seriously enough.

      Delete
  6. We couldn't bring ourselves to post about ISIS. Nothing funny about what happened. And it's true, we think we're safe, we're assured we'll be okay, but anything could happen at any time. It's a scary thought.

    On a lighter note, I'll have to try those bacon and egg squares. I need an easy breakfast that I can make one day and last for an entire week. Well... TRY to last an entire week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No there certainly isn't anything funny about them. They are all cowards hiding their faces too. PL above says Jihadi John was killed, I hope that's true.

    Dunno whether it would last you a whole week Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's why I can't watch nature shows. They're depressing.
    The Pope said the third World War is happening now with ISIS and other terrorists, and for once, I agree with the man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not totally Alex, they always end up telling how much work and effort is being put into conserving and protecting.

      Maybe, but I do hope he is wrong.

      Delete
  9. I heard there were a lot of snakes dumped in Florida that aren't native to the area. Some snakes aren't allowed to be brought into certain states. I think Florida is one that has outlawed pythons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late. The python is doing really well in the Everglades and it is now full of the damned things. People getting rid of pets irresponsibly.

      Delete
  10. I agree Jo. The world is going to hell in a hand basket. Paris is one of the loveliest places I've ever been. I feel very sad for them. Re the pythons, introduced species always upset the balance of things don't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Aussies do get around don't you Pinky. I remember working with Australian girls in London in the late 50s and 60s. Great travellers. Yes, I agree, Paris is a lovely city and this attack was dreadful but then as another Australian pointed out, there have been lots more things lately such as Beirut and the Russian plane.

      The pythons have certainly done that. They are thriving in the Everglades but damaging the balance badly affecting all the natural wildlife. Something you guys know all about.

      Delete
  11. Oh, my husband would love that egg dish. I've watched shows about the pythons hunters. It's horrifying how huge some of those snakes are. I believe an airstrike took out Jihaldi John or so it was claimed last week. WWW III indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt and I too Susan, but I would have to decrease the quantity as there are only two of us.
      They are horrifying aren't they. Can you imagine coming across one, yuk.

      I hope it's true about Jihadi John. I hope it's not true about WWIII

      Delete
  12. That is sad about the Everglades. We must remember to be good caretakers of our world.

    What happened in Paris is heart breaking. I was afraid of all large group events after 9-11. You don't realize how vulnerable your world is until you see it break down. Things like this aren't supposed to happen in civil societies. I can't imagine the stress of living somewhere like Israel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Liz, it is sad and we have not been good caretakers. I just hope it's not too lade.

      I always wanted to visit Israel but think it would be too dangerous.

      Delete
  13. I recently watched a similar documentary on the Everglades - might even have been the same one, I suppose - and I, too, couldn't watch it to the end. It's appalling what mankind has done and keeps doing to the Earth and I do worry about the world my grandchildren will grow up in,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, could have been the same one Helen. You are right it is appalling. A lot was through ignorance, but today people still do terrible things to the earth and don't care enough.

      Delete
  14. It is depressing to see what we're doing to our planet.

    The recipe looks really good. I love breakfast! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Danielle, but people are beginning to try and do something to rectify what we have done.

      Great meal isn't it?

      Delete
  15. I love Nature shows but they always start wonderful and the usually end with "they will all die!" It is depressing. I think scientists are natural pessimists. When Mt. St. Helen's blew, I remember watching it with my dad and the scientists said nothing will grow there for 300 yrs. My dad, ever the lumber man, said his usual choice words but I recall him saying that the scientists do not have enough faith in nature. he said watch, life will be back within 5 years. My dad was right! ISIS is a real threat that must be stopped at any cause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be very depressing Birgit. Nature is wonderful isn't it?

      They do need to be stopped.

      Delete