Friday, November 27, 2015

Black Friday and Saturday Recipe

Black Thursday for me as well. My internet service has been non-existent. I am now somewhat at sixes and sevens as I was without for 1 1/2 days. I do so  much on line that I am now considerably behind. I had a lovely blog planned for Black Friday too. I forgot to say that I was a bit miffed with the Crosswords restaurant. I have been going there with the bowling group once a year and always in November for at least 3 or 4 years. This Thursday they said they hadn't started making the mincemeat pies yet and didn't do so until December 1. I ended up buying a Mississippi Mud Pie. I phoned later and asked if it would freeze. They weren't sure and thought the chocolate might not take it. I have stuck it in the freezer anyway.

I used to make something like this with, I think, cream cheese. I have been wondering where the recipe got to. I always call drained yoghurt "yoghurt cheese"


Smoked Trout-Caraway Rillettes

Lebneh is yogurt that's been strained to remove all the whey, resulting in a thick, creamy fresh cheese. Here, it provides the base for a light and tangy smoked trout spread.

  • Servings: Makes 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups lebneh
  • 2 tablespoons minced shallot
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
  • 3 thinly sliced scallions, plus more for garnish
  • Kosher salt
  • Pepper
  • 4 smoked trout fillets (12 ounces), skinned, meat flaked into large pieces
  • Spicy Quick-Pickled Radishes and rye crackers, for serving


Instructions

  1. In a medium bowl, combine the lebneh, shallot, olive oil, caraway seeds and the 3 sliced scallions; season with salt and pepper and mix well. Gently fold in the flaked trout. Garnish the rillettes with scallions and serve at room temperature with pickled radishes and rye crackers.

Make Ahead

The rillettes can be refrigerated for 2 to 3 days and brought to room temperature before serving.


Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. I hate when you go somewhere to get a specific thing and they don't have it. It is the getting your hopes up part that truly sucks. Hope you had a great TG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Brandon. Now I don't know whether to traipse out there later or to try and find mincemeat and make my own.

    Don't do TG in November, only in October. Used to enjoy it in the States when we lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We won't participate in that black Friday madness. It's crazy! Glad you got your internet back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has spread into Canada unfortunately JoJo. I have been deluged by Black Friday messages on the computer. Not to mention on TV as well.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - losing the net connection is such a 'pain' ... anyway glad you're getting through .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just Hilary? I was climbing the walls.

      Delete
  5. No internet and no mince pies! I don't blame you for being miffed. Yogurt is my sour cream. I love it and it's so much better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decided to make my own Pinky. I sure ain't traipsing all the way out to Elmira to buy some. I'm not talking sour cream Pinky. Regular cream in the UK was fuller fat than the cream here. Had a much better flavour.

      Delete
  6. No internet is a real pain. I'm studying French and German online and as a way to encourage daily study you can accumulate rewards but if you miss more than a day you go back to the beginning. I was up to 304 days straight when the internet went out for two days over Christmas last year. I was not happy.
    Black Friday is really annoying here, too, because I get spammed by people trying to sell me things when I'm not even in the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pain Helen. Surely they would make an exception as it wasn't your fault you couldn't be on line for a couple of days? Why are you studying French and German, just for fun? I know exactly what you mean about getting all the ads for Black Friday. Infuriating isn't it.

      Delete
    2. Just for fun, Jo, and to keep the brain ticking over. Who knows, I may actually get to Europe one day too.

      Delete
    3. Good for you then Helen. I always had trouble with German because I couldn't learn not to pronounce the words with a French accent LOL. Teacher gave up on me many years ago.

      Delete
  7. Sorry about the pies. Did you freeze the chocolate in slices or just what was left, as whole?

    I made lamb stew for the first time (my own recipe), and loved how tender and yummy it was the next day. I always make my stews one day in advance.

    Up next, lamb shanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I froze the whole pie. Fingers crossed it will be OK.

      I am delighted you enjoyed it Ivy. For me I prefer to roast my meat because it is too expensive to make into a stew. Lamb shanks are OK for stews though.

      Delete
    2. I braised the shanks in chicken stock and used spices and herbs from my pantry. Then reduced the braising liquid and served the whole thing over chunky golden mash potatoes. 3.5 hours and the meat fell off the bone.

      The stew, I used a small cheap lamb steak. The cheapest smallest piece they had on offer.

      Loved it.

      Tonight, I went to get lamb mince but they were out. So I went with two more shanks for braising. Probably Tuesday night's supper. Or maybe tomorrow. Not sure yet.

      Delete
    3. Surprised you used chicken stock Ivy, think I would have used beef.

      Need to get some lamb shanks myself.

      Delete