Tuesday has been a very quiet day and apart from a news headline about a newborn baby being abducted from the hospital creche and immediately found by a couple of young girls, I haven’t much to write about.
One thing I did do, I blanched and froze a large bunch of asparagus. I enjoyed the ones I did last year so decided to do more. I might do another bunch before the season is over.
Here’s a somewhat different recipe from Food and Wine.
Asparagus with Toasted Almonds and GarlicContributed by Grace Parisi
- SERVINGS: 4
- 3/4 pound pencil-thin asparagus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Scant 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large nonreactive skillet. Add the asparagus and cook just until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Wipe out these skillet and set it over high heat. Add the oil and heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the asparagus and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the garlic and almonds are golden and the asparagus is just beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the sherry vinegar and butter and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter and serve.