Thursday, November 21, 2013

Housework, Christmas, Chinese, Cooking.

Feast or Famine. My cleaning girl left us a couple of weeks ago, she hMrs. Mopas more upsets and stresses going on in her life than a barrel load of monkeys. So, in fact, this apartment hasn’t really been cleaned since September. Matt and I have both putzed at it, but we both hurt so much after a very short stint that we cannot achieve a lot. I went to Community Services and they have promised someone but they are not sure when. Wednesday morning, still nothing when I phoned. I knew there were business cards downstairs so I got one and phoned a couple who clean together and they are probably coming this morning for a meet and greet. Then, damn me, a girl phoned from Community Services and she is coming in to clean on Friday morning. I think I will still check the other couple out just in case.

I got my Christmas present from Matt yesterday. It arrived in the Pant Suitmail. Not bad considering I also received an email saying they had sent it that morning. It is a pant suit. Only trouble is, the pants want shortening and when it comes to sewing I am out. Will have to go pay through the nose to get it done. As I also have a couple of pairs of pants I want taken in, guess I will do it all at the same time. I am delighted with the pant suit though, mine is black. It’s nice and Christmassy but not too much so to be worn the rest of the year if the occasion arises. I ordered it and then informed Matt what he had bought me. Checking for the picture, guess I got mine at a good price, it’s quite a bit more now.

Went to the Mandarin as I mentioned yesterday, had a good meal as usual. Pigged out on the desserts, bad girl, will have to do some work to get rid of that. Especially having just tipped the 29 lbs. mark. I would like to get to 30 by Christmas. Bowling this aft which helps.

Made Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls again. Thought I had posted the recipe, apparently I haven't. This time I put them in the crock pot.  Having eaten lots of Chinese for lunch though, we saved it for tonight. Not sure if it will freeze well, but it will have to. There is stacks there and twice in a row is about all I want to eat something.

I love curries, I love Thai curries. So here’s one from BBC Food. Oh, and I also love Thai food. I came across a shrimp recipe which required 2 tbs coconut milk, I could save that amount from this recipe.

Thai Beef Curry

By Lucy Netherton

Serves 8

A spicy, authentic Thai green curry for your slow cooker that's ideal Thai Beef Curryfor taking the last-minute stress out of entertaining
Ingredients
  • 2-3 tbsp groundnut oil (peanut of canola if allergic)
  • 2kg beef short ribs (bone-in ribs left whole), or brisket, cut into large chunks
  • large bunch coriander
  • 2 lemongrass stalks, 1 bashed, 1 roughly chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1-2 green chillies, roughly chopped, deseeded if you like
  • 2cm-piece galangal or ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 50ml rice wine vinegar
  • 50ml fish sauce
  • 2 tbsp palm or light brown sugar
  • 400g can coconut milk
  • 2 star anise
  • 6 kaffir lime leaves
  • juice 2 limes, plus wedges to serve

 

Method

  1. Heat a little of the oil in a large pan and brown the beef in batches, removing to a plate after, reserving any juices. If your slow cooker has a browning function, use this instead. Meanwhile, in a mini chopper or food processor, whizz half the coriander, the chopped lemongrass, garlic, chillies and galangal with the rest of the oil until you have a rough paste.
  2. Turn the slow cooker to High. Heat the paste for a few mins, then add the beef and all the remaining ingredients, apart from the remaining coriander and lime juice. Turn slow cooker to Low and cook for 8 hrs, or until the meat is falling off the bone.
  3. If using beef ribs, remove bones from the beef, then shred the meat with 2 forks. If the sauce is too thin, strain it off and boil it to reduce. Stir in the remaining coriander and lime juice, then season with more fish sauce or sugar.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

8 comments:

  1. This is making me think of this absolutely incredible thai food place just around the corner from where I grew up. Such good stuff, I'll have to try this!

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, with Joy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few good Thai restaurants locally.

      Delete
  2. mmm-mmm, this one sounds good Jo! I need to find out if I can get a couple of the ingredients and if not, I'll have to improvise--I'm good at that. :-)I'll have to check this out.
    I'm going through slow cooker recipes and finding those that would work for my family and my allergies. The next 6 weeks will be intense for my work schedule. I need good food ready for the guys and especially the kid who is working for the Department of the forestry and outside for at least the next 100 days or more moving and pulling trees. He will be hungry, tired, and did I mention starving? Yah. I love stuff that I can throw into the crock pot.

    Nice pants suit and looks comfortable yet sharp enough to dress up with jewelry or a nice scarf. Nice of Matt to get that you, lol!

    Hugs,

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids usually need lots of feeding. I have posted a few slow cooker recipes over the last couple of weeks.

      You can't really see it, but the pant suit has a gold neckline and hemline on the tunic, very attractive on the black in particular. Yes, it was nice of Matt wasn't it?

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! Thai is my favorite ethnic, and I've worked hard to learn how to cook it. Having a CROCK POT Thai recipe THRILLS me. Many, many thanks.
    Wow, almost at 30, that's really, really great. Love the pants suit. The Engineer and I buy gifts just like you and Matt ;-) It's a great method!
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you enjoy it when you try it Tina.

      Thanks for the encouragement. Matt doesn't buy gifts for himself though, I still have to think of something for him.

      Delete
  4. Recipe sounds delicious. Love Thai food and in a crockpot! I can't access the unstuffed cabbage rolls which I must have missed. All the links lead me back to today or that it is unavailable. Hurrah on 29! Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what Lulu, I think I linked back to something that doesn't exist. I can't find it, don't think I ever posted it although I would have sworn I did. I will do so though, it's a good recipe.

    ReplyDelete