Saturday, December 11, 2010

Diet, Weather, Bowling and Christmas Music

There was a report on GMA this morning about a new tool for losing weight. Imagining step by step eating whatever you are about to eat. Go through the whole process, from every bite, this causes your brain to react as if you were actually eating it. The theory is that you will then eat less of that food. All very well, but I often eat when I am not hungry because, with diabetes, you HAVE to eat regular meals; I certainly don’t over eat, when I see pictures of people stuffing themselves with pizza or grossly overfilled sandwiches of some kind, it actually makes me feel ill and yet, I am overweight. It really isn’t fair. I just recently looked into the South Beach Diet, but the first day’s menu they gave me involved way too much food preparation. One would be in the kitchen all day I think.

Went bowling as usual on a Friday afternoon. What a miserable day, slush on the roads, every time a vehicle went past one was plastered in dirty snow, trucks made it even worse. Nowhere are paths cleared, people seem to not bother because there isn’t much snow, but it can still freeze and become a death trap for anyone walking. The skies were grey, there was a little snow falling, just the odd flake or two, enough to make the whole day thoroughly miserable in which to be out and about. We are definitely due for some real snow, I wish it would just get on with it.

5-pinMatt bowled really well again yesterday even though I was with him. Mind you, we were on different teams as one member of the other team was away so maybe that helped. I didn’t do too badly except for my second game which was not good. I discovered that after our Christmas party on the 20th there will be no more bowling until the New Year although the alley will be open on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve so we might go anyway as we have nothing planned; one of the drawbacks of having family in the UK and not here.

The radio has been playing Christmas music since the beginning of the month and gradually increasing the Christmas content. I like to hear genuine Christmas carols, but I get really fed up with things like Jingle Bells and White Christmas. One thing I haven’t heard yet this year is “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer”

which I think is a great song although if they played it too much I guess I would get fed up with it as well, this recording is good although they seem to miss off the first line. In the old days in the UK Christmas didn’t really start til the middle of December, not early in November as it does here. Of course things have probably change in the UK and they start at much the same time. Here, too, decorations come down almost as soon as New Year’s is over whereas traditionally we leave ours up until 12th Night or Epiphany.

They have been running Christmas cooking challenges on Good Morning America, here is one recipe which appealed to me.

Tarina's Double Chocolate Drizzled Hazelnut Cookies

 

"12 Days of Cooking Challenge" winner shows off her recipe to Emeril Lagasse.

From the kitchen of Tarina Wimmer

Servings: Over 8

Tarina spends the holidays baking with her family and these cookies have become her signature dish. They are sure to be a favorite on your cookie platter.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups butter chocolate_hazelnut_cookies
  • 2 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 2/3 cups ground hazelnuts
  • 1 bag white chocolate chips
  • 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Cooking Directions

    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

    In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until blended.

    In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Then mix in ground hazelnuts until mixture is uniform.

    Shape dough into ovals on lightly greased cookie sheets. Chill in freezer about 10 minutes or until firm. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and place on rack. Let cool completely. Once cooled, place on wax paper.

    In a microwave-safe bowl, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and drizzle over cookies. Repeat in a separate bowl with white chocolate chips.

    Have a great weekend

    Jo

  • 2 comments:

    1. The French do not know that decorations are to come down on the 12th night.They do, actually, stay up here until the end of January.I am also not going to take mine down on the 12th night. My apartment looks like a Bollywood movie!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I guess 12th night is a UK tradition. Its something we have always done. But we never put them up so early.

      ReplyDelete