Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tournament, Ontario Roads,

Sorry no post yesterday, but as I said, we went off to Oshawa for my bowling tournament. I thought we weren't going to get there at one point. About half an hour into the journey we were in stop and go traffic with more stop than anything. We still don't know if there was an accident although suspect that may have been the problem. The traffic was flowing fine on the other side of the median. I was getting anxious figuring we wouldn't even get to Toronto, let alone Oshawa. Eventually we came to the toll road, 407, and had been dithering about taking it, we decided to do so - never used it before - a surprising amount of traffic but boy did we move along well, seemed we reached the end in no time whatsoever. It will cost us about $19 but it was worth it. They figure out who owes what with cameras. That surprises me because I have seen lots of license plates which are indecipherable by human eye when you are right behind them, let alone by cameras. We were both surprised by the speeds of the vehicles. The speed limit is 100 Kms an hour and even a cop vehicle passed us going a lot faster than that. Matt set our cruise control at 110 Kms and we were being overtaken as though we were standing still. I was curious as to when the road was begun because when we went to the States in 1988 it wasn't there. Turns out it was started by a private contractor in 1999 and isn't finished even now, there are plans to extend it to Orono wherever that is! I looked it up on the map and I am still not much wiser. The picture shows all the electronic equipment which is used to photograph license plates or presumably ping responders in those vehicles which have them. If people are regular users of 407 they do have transponders installed. We finally got to the bowling alley about 10 minutes late but thankfully I still had lots of time to register and get myself sorted out. The other bowler who was my partner was already there with his girlfriend; they had stayed in Oshawa over night and said the accomodation was terrible. I had wanted to do the same, maybe just as well we didn't. My first game was good, over my average, my second game was bad, way below and my third game was excellent, a 222. In the middle of bowling I realised I had lost my 300 pin which I was given a week or two ago, that upset me. Luckily someone had handed it in but the back was missing. Later I found the back but someone had trodden on it. Not that it is irreplacable (in fact I have another back on it already), I was just glad to get the pin itself returned. Once we had finished bowling we all trooped into the dining area for lunch. We started eating a tad earlier than expected, we had salad, turkey with all the trimmings and pie. Not too bad, not gourmet either my biggest criticism was the mixed veg which were like mush, I didn't have potato but Matt said the mashed potato was some of the best he had ever had away from home. Then they gave out the prizes. We figured that after the prizes available at my last tournament (6 trips for 2 to the sun plus luggage), the digital camera, kitchen scales, hors d'oeuvres trays and cookie jars were somewhat meagre. However, I was thrilled to win 2nd prize in my group and got some kitchen scales (they are actually better than I presently have) and a timer. I had a pins over average of 61 which wasn't bad at all. Particularly after the way I bowled on Monday. Our trip home, once we found our way onto the 401, was pretty quick and uneventful. The 401 is supposed to be the busiest road in North America, it certainly lives up to its reputation. Traffic is constant and continuous. However, we were before the rush hour so it wasn't as busy as in the morning.
For a change I thought I would share a fish recipe from Eating Well. They suggest spinach with this dish. I would use asparagus at the moment - naturally *g*. Roasted Cod with Warm Tomato-Olive-Caper Tapenade From EatingWell: October/November 2005, The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006) The Mediterranean flavors of a warm tomato tapenade will brighten all kinds of white fish as well as chicken. Make It a Meal: Orzo and sauteed spinach will round out this meal. 4 servings Ingredients •1 pound cod fillet, (see Ingredient note) •3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided •1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper •1 tablespoon minced shallot •1 cup halved cherry tomatoes •1/4 cup chopped cured olives •1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped •1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano •1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Preparation 1.Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. 2.Rub cod with 2 teaspoons oil. Sprinkle with pepper. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and roast until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet. 3.Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 20 seconds. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add olives and capers; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds more. Stir in oregano and vinegar; remove from heat. Spoon the tapenade over the cod to serve.
Tips & Notes •Ingredient Note: Cod: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. A better choice is Pacific cod (aka Alaska cod); it is more sustainably fished and has a larger, more stable population, according to Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp. Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment