Thursday, November 19, 2015

Natural Wonders, Flu Shot.

There is a programme running on public broadcasting right now showing the ways certain tribes, all over the world, live or earn their living. Absolutely horrifying. From collecting swiftlet nests in caves where the human has to climb over 300 ft. to get at the nests with very little security protection. Another group collecting honey in a mangrove swamp which is heavily populated with Bengal tigers. Another tribe, living in the Amazon forests and have to cope with the Bullet Ant so they put their kids through a painful ritual to enure them to these ants. The kids have to wear gloves laced with these ants, for 10 minutes. They do this several times in their lives. It has been proven that in fact, the venom from these ants has medical properties and this race of people are rarely ill and have long lives. The kid who put the gloves on for the first time was howling, but his best friend, who'd done it before, was more stoic. The boys were 9 yrs. old. The gloves contained hundreds of ants. The sting of one is like a bullet wound, hence their name. Interesting programme.

Talking of pain, I mentioned we had our flu shots yesterday. They are given to you in the top muscle
Deltoids in red.
of the arm/shoulder - the deltoid. We had to hang around a while particularly because we are on blood thinners. Then we had to be in the mall for a while, totalling about 15 minutes. Eventually we came home and carried on with our day. About mid evening I started to feel a throbbing pain in my arm, lower than where the shot was administered. I ended up taking some Tylenol 3 as it was so bad and, oddly, I was also getting throbbing pain in my nipple on that side. This effectively prevented me going to sleep for quite a while. I was feeling very sorry for myself. Matt felt nothing. The next day, the throbbing pain had gone but my arm is sore. Matt is still fine. According to the woman who runs our exercise class, she has heard of others who suffered the same problems. I have now found a blog talking about Christina's flu shot experience. Reading her experience I am wondering if some of what happened to her could have happened to me. Apart from soreness though, mine is not all that painful any more. I will keep an eye on it though.

I have never before heard of cooking radishes. I was fascinated by this recipe so obviously have to share it.

Roasted Radishes With Anchovies

  • Yield 8 servings



Ingredients

  • 1 (2.8-ounce) jar oil-packed anchovies, drained
  • cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • ½ garlic clove, grated
  • 2 bunches radishes with fresh greens (1 1/2 pounds), preferably French breakfast radishes
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
  • 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice, more to taste

Preparation

  1. In a small saucepan over very low heat, combine anchovies and 1/3 cup olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until anchovies have melted into the oil, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in garlic.
  2. Clean the radishes thoroughly under running water, leaving any nice greens attached if possible; drain and dry very well. Leave smaller radishes whole and halve any large ones lengthwise.
  3. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a very large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Add the radishes in a single layer. Cook, without moving, until undersides are golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip radishes and transfer skillet to oven. Cook until radishes are tender enough to be easily pierced with a knife, 10 to 20 minutes, depending on size of radishes.
  4. Return skillet to stove top over medium-high heat. Toss with anchovy oil, butter, parsley and lemon juice. Serve warm.

Have a great day

17 comments:

  1. Jo, I am so sorry to hear the pain you experienced after the flu vaccine. I don't get the vaccine, I just don't trust it. I know some people really need to get it and my heart goes out to them. Thankfully I don't get colds or the flu, but if and when I do, I prefer to treat it with fresh ginger, honey, garlic, lemon, and lots of water and rest. Please take care of yourself. Sending you a hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been having the vaccine for years without problems - maybe a slightly sore arm, but that's it. We don't get colds or flu either. But at our ages it is probably a safe bet for us to take precautions. I would be adding a shot of rum or something to your remedy.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - it's amazing how some people exist ... I didn't know about the ants. Hope the flu jab improves. I love radishes and anchovies ... I guess this'd be a good starter type dish on a summer evening ... with some veg pieces and some artisan breads ... sounds good! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it Hilary. I don't think I want to know about the ants LOL. My arm is only sore now not throbbing any more. I have never had radishes and anchovies, and certainly never cooked radishes. I like the additions you mention.

      Delete
  3. Sorry the vax gave you so much pain. I get it in the injection site and around it for a couple of days. You are supposed to massage the area to move the medicine around and lessen the pain. Boy those bullet ant gloves sound awful!!! Glad I was born here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all I get normally. Friend at bowling says her arm itched really badly, this time, for a couple of days. They looked awful to JoJo. It was only boys who went through this I gathered. They are the hunters. (I might be wrong otherwise the women wouldn't get the health benefits).

      Delete
  4. Maybe they are onto something with those ants. Rough way to build up an immunity though.
    Never had a flu shot. Only had the flu once in the past fifteen years. My mother gets a flu shot every and guess what? She gets the flu every year. Think I'll continue to take my chances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kid who hadn't been through it before, was screaming fit to die. The other kid was obviously in great pain but didn't do much more than whimper. He'd done it before. After JoJo's comment and my reply, I am wondering if it was only the boys.

      We never get flu I'm pleased to say, sorry your mom does. We never used to get flu either, but figured in our ancient years, maybe we should take precautions.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Jo,

      Sorry to hear you had such discomfort with your flu shot. I have heard of pains that last a day or so. I have never had a flu shot and don't intent to get one this year either. I watch my health and make sure to take vitamins regularly. My doctor says that they are for seniors, kids, and people who work with the public. Since i don't fall into any of those categories I don't get one.

      Radishes are delicious cooked. I've steamed them and they are wonderful

      Not a big anchovy fan, but i'm sure these are delicious.

      Hope you fell better and have a great weekend.

      Delete
    3. Well I'm a senior Michael so I do fall into the categories. I have never had this problem before though.

      Never have cooked radishes before but will certainly try these. I love anchovy too. Thanks, I do feel better now.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bullet ants sound horrible. We have bull ants here and they're bad enough. I fell in a nest once and was bitten on my bottom about thirty times. I couldn't sit down for a week and I was 9 months pregnant at the time. Hope your arm's okay Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look pretty terrible too Pinky. Dreadful things Poor you, that must have been dreadful. Especially being pregnant.

      My arm is much better now thanks.

      Delete
  7. Kids here cry when they don't get their $500 toy...that's when I want to show them these bullet ants. Good grief!! I know that many tribes all around the world must endure so much and yet, they have huge smiles...what does that say when I often see nothing but scowls. As for the flu shot, I know what you mean, I got one done once and my arm was sore for a few days and very tender to the touch. My hubby is never affected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very true Birgit. Our kids couldn't stand one bite let alone the agony of hundreds. Western kids are definitely spoiled to death.

      My arm is usually sore, but this was throbbing pain for several hours Birgit.

      Delete
  8. I've heard of those ants and that glove thing before. Yikes.

    Glad you're not in as much pain now. Very cool. As for radishes, I've baked and cooked them along with the tops. Love the tops.

    Have a great weekend and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, painful Ivy.

      I have never cooked them and didn't know you could eat the greens. Will have to try it.

      Delete