Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Bowling, Hedy Lamarr.

What a lousy day's bowling. Not just Matt and I but all four of us on our team today. One of our bowlers hasn't been here for two weeks and this also makes a difference to our team scores because we play with handicaps but don't get those if a player isn't there. I don't like to natter her, but at the same time, she is a team member and she needs to come play. I felt sorry for the younger of the two owners today. His mom went into hospital some distance away for back surgery. Obviously his dad, the other owner, was with her so he, the son, was working from 8 a.m. til 11 p.m. OK he is young (compared to us) and fit but it's still very tiring. We heard that the operation went fine too, so that was good news.

Some of you may have seen the Google Doodle today honouring Hedy Lamarr who would have been 101 today. I remember her from when I was a kid. The movie which stands out for me was Samson and Delilah but looking at the list of her credits, she made one heck of a lot of films. I thought she was a gorgeous looking woman too. I was not, of course, alone in that. What I did not know until today is that she was instrumental together with composer George Antheil, in the invention of a Frequency-hopping spread spectrum or a jam-proof radio guidance system for torpedoes and her work, which was not used at the time, is today used in computers. Their invention is the basis behind current spread-spectrum communication technology, such as GPSBluetooth, wireless and cell phones, and Wi-Fi networks. Her history is quite interesting to read at Wiki too.

OK, here's a recipe I dreamed up for pork chops. Very simple but tasty. As I mentioned yesterday, I cooked half a pound of mushrooms as I wanted to use them up. It was good. I would probably do that again. This picture is Matt's plate. You can't tell but that potato is smothered in butter. We do not use foil when baking potatoes as we like the potato skin to crisp up so that we can eat it so we wash and salt the potato before baking. Best part in my opinion. I am a sucker for the potato skins some restaurants do for starters.

Jo's Braised Pork Chops

1 Tbs olive oil
2 pork chops
1/3 onion sliced
4 to 5 mushrooms, sliced
1 glass of red wine or if you prefer, a good quality beef stock
salt and pepper

Sauté pork chops until browned on both sides. Remove from pan. Sauté onions in pan and when softening add mushrooms. Finally add glass of wine (or stock) then pork chops and seasoning. Cover and simmer for about half an hour or until the meat is cooked.

Servings: 2

Have a great day

20 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, I'm licking my lips as usual. Sounds divine! And I caught Roland's post honouring Hedy today. She was quite the lady! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't she just, Denise? Who knew, I certainly didn't.

      The chops were delicious.

      Delete
  2. Pity about the bowling but fingers crossed things will improve.
    I found out about Hedy Lamarr a while ago through a local science radio programme. She was highly intelligent and I wouldn't be typing this right now if not for her invention with George Anthiel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sincerely hope so Helen.

      She was certainly a very clever woman. It's amazing how these things come about. Have you seen the Imitation Game about Alan Turing?

      Delete
    2. No, I haven't seen it, Jo. I meant to but as so often happens time went by and I missed it at the movies. I must borrow the DVD.

      Delete
  3. Very nice recipe and if I could eat pork, I would honestly give your method a go. Sorry The game went bad. Does the member not show often? And if so, how long before she is kicked out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity you can't eat it Ivy. Funny that all of us bowled badly at the same time.

      Not she is usually with us. Not quite certain why she hasn't been lately. It isn't serious enough to kick anyone out. I am probably the only one who worries about our rankings.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully, she gets back to the game soon.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you had a bad bowling experience. The ebb and flow of life.

    That is awesome that her work lived on and went o such amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty impressed Brandon. Incredible woman.

      Delete
  5. She was a beauty, and yes I did know that about her, caught it on the science channel!
    Sorry your scores are suffering. It hard to play a competitive game when all the players don't participate. Hope things change for you. Sounds like a great recipe.My family likes the soft skins, but I'm going to try your method, the also like potato skins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly didn't know about her scientific work Yolanda.

      That's bowling I'm afraid. Hope our team member will be back next week. I like to scrape out the potato and then eat the skins.

      Delete
  6. Is the bowling lady OK health wise or simply busy and not thinking that she should give you guys the heads up? I knew about Hedy Lamarr quite a while ago (well you know me and film stars) and it was such a shame that she did not get the recognition she richly deserved for her intelligence nit just her beauty. She did not have the luck when it came to men and later in life she made unfortunate headlines stating she shop-lifted. I wonder to this day if she may not have had signs of dementia, simply taking things from the store and not realizing that she was supposed to pay for it. Who knows. What I do know is that she was stunning and I always loved a quote from her. When asked how she looked so beautiful and how to take such beautiful pictures, she simply said, "Just stand there and look stupid." I will try this recipe for pork chops...I am hungry now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has appointments, not sure whether they are medical or what. I don't think she knows how important it is to be there. I guess you would know about film starts Birgit. I just knew she was beautiful. She did get an award for her work. How sad about the shop lifting, you are right, it could have been dementia.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jo - sorry about the bowling ... still you got the exercise and that's the plus! The pork looks good. I'd read about Hedy Lamarr before and she was an extremely talented woman ... apart from being stunningly beautiful! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. Will no doubt be better next week and, as you say, it's exercise. It's also a fun time. Lots of people seem to have heard about Lamarr. Not me though.

      Delete
  8. Jo, don't forget today's Unicorn Hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had it all ready to go and then got it into my head it was for tomorrow. I have posted it separately now. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  9. A few people mentioned that google doodle and I didn't even notice it and I'm on google all the time. I have heard of her of course but never saw any of her movies. Sorry about the bowling though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good Doodle. I didn't see more than one or two of her movies either but I always remember her as a very beautiful woman.

      Hopefully I will bowl better next week JoJo.

      Delete