Friday, October 10, 2014

Time Capsule, Battling Moose,

Lion capsuleA time capsule from 1901 has been found inside the head of a lion statue which was on Old State House in Boston. At the moment they know there is no sign of mildew and that the copper box contains a hardcover red book. However, more explorationtime capsule will be done in more suitable conditions as the contents are considered to be fragile. It seems to me they must have known the box was there otherwise why would they have removed the crown. 113 years really isn’t very long. I have always envisaged time capsules being hidden for a great deal longer than that. After all, as time capsules go, it isn’t a whole lot longer than I have lived. If they did know it was there, I think they should have left it another 100 years.

This is an interesting piece of video captured by a couple of hikers in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, Alberta. Not a sight one sees very often, Battling Bull Moose.



This recipe is originally from Cooking Light. In view of the fact that many Canadians will be eating turkey this weekend, I thought it might be quite useful.

Asian Turkey Cabbage Cups

Asian Turkey Cabbage Cups Recipe

Cool, crisp cabbage leaves cradle a hot and spicy herbed filling in this quick dish.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 filled cabbage cups)
Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
  • 12 large napa (Chinese) cabbage leaves (about 8 ounces)
  • 1/4 cup chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
Preparation
  1. 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and turkey to pan; cook 7 minutes or until turkey is done, stirring frequently. Drain turkey mixture; place in a large bowl. Add green onions and next 8 ingredients (through jalapeño); toss well. Spoon 1/3 cup turkey mixture into each cabbage leaf. Top with peanuts.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

20 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - interesting about the time capsule - I wonder what the book is ... then the rutting moose - they do do battle. The cabbage leaf turkey cups sounds a good light supper dish .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how long it's going to take them to find out. I thought you were on the move this week?

      Delete
  2. At least the people filming the moose were smart enough to stay in their car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Did you ever see that horrific film of a guy on safari getting out of his car to film lions. His kids had to watch him being mauled to death.

      Delete
  3. HI, JO,

    I agree they should have left it for another hundred years. I'd like to know how they knew it was under the crown of the lion.

    Terrific recipe. Looks great! Happy Thanksgiving to you! I can't believe it's that time of year already...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess someone must have recorded the information somewhere. Yeah, way too soon.

      Thanks. At least ours isn't too close to Christmas but we have to put up with Oktoberfest this week. They will be tapping the keg this afternoon.

      Delete
  4. You know a moose once bit my sister...
    Yes, Monty Python has tainted moose forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there was I thinking "your poor sister, how did that happen?"

      Delete
  5. I saw that time capsule thing but I didn't read the article....had no idea it was 'up the highway a piece' from me in Boston! Wonder what's in the book and what an odd place to put it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about it being close to you either. It will be interesting to find out.

      Delete
  6. We are hearing the elk bugling at night, not as many it sounds like as in past years. Moose however are mean-tempered I hear. We have been warned about bears--garage doors are to be kept closed and no garbage and food in cars to tempt them. Ah, Wilderness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup you need to be careful not to attract them. Don't have that unfortunately living on the outskirts of a town.

      Delete
  7. I hope you don't mind me putting this in your comments but I thought you might appreciate it. Four days ago two Australian Moose were caught fighting in the street :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJL_sQTZOE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all Pinky. Will check it out later. Didn't realise you had moose in Oz.

      Delete
    2. Ah, pulling my leg Mrs. Weaver. They neither of them seemed to be getting anywhere although I enjoyed Swan Lake.

      Delete
  8. They dug out a time capsule at our local primary school recently - after 25 years. Makes you wonder what's the point. Most of the kids who were there then haven't even started their own families yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I think 100 years is too soon, you can imagine what I think of 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard about the time capsule. I wonder why they put it in the crown in the first place? A strange place to put a time capsule. That Asian turkey cabbage cup looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think someone today knew where it was. A bit pointless to open it so soon though.

      Delete