Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Smoothie, a Bear Called Paddington. Dragon's Egg.

SmoothieI have been talking about getting enough leafy greens in to my diet so Tuesday morning I made myself a smoothie with 1 cup skim milk, a good handful of mixed kale and chard and a banana. It was delicious. Very simple to make. I meant to add flax seeds but forgot so I will tomorrow. I eat a banana every day anyway – good for cramp which I get a lot of thanks to cholesterol meds. It replaces my regular breakfast which is 181 calories and adds 116 so that isn’t a bad substitute. The banana is already built into my diet. Having read a lot of smoothie recipes I wasn’t sure how this would turn out but it was fine. Gave me the best part of two glasses. I did think of adding a touch of honey if I needed it, but it was quite sweet enough.

The film about Paddington Bear is due to be released in the UK for Christmas. There are several trailers, this is one of them. I will be certain sure to go and see this movie, it looks hilarious. There is another trailer on Facebook which is even funnier.



If you are on Facebook do look at the latest trailer, as I said, it is even funnier than this one. Just go to the Paddington Bear page.

I mentioned that I was reading Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward. I have now finished it and put up a review on Goodreads. It was an excellent book with a great story. OK some of the science was a bit beyond me, but it didn't detract from the story. The concept of a race living on a neutron star who live 100 years in one of our hours was absolutely fascinating. I have ordered the sequel from my library because I enjoyed it so much.

Having some beef, admittedly already cooked, I thought this sounded adaptable.

Ginger Beef Salad with Miso Vinaigrette


Cooking Light
4 servings

Skip the grated cheese and croutons and serve an Asian-inspired salad with homemade seven-ingredient vinaigrette. Serve with soba noodles, followed by dessert.

Ingredients
 
1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons white miso (soybean paste)
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon chile paste with garlic
6 cups torn Bibb lettuce (about 3 small heads)
3/4 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced

Preparation

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Sprinkle steak evenly with ginger, salt, and garlic. Place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
3. Combine cilantro and next 6 ingredients (through chile paste) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine lettuce and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle half of miso mixture over lettuce mixture; toss to coat.
4. Place 1 1/2 cups lettuce mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each with 3 ounces steak; top with miso mixture.

Dessert: Heat 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup torn mint, and 1/4 cup water until sugar melts. Strain; cool. Stir in 4 cups halved strawberries.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

28 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - I do smoothies for a while and then get fed up - I eat healthily ... so that's that for now!! Paddington Bear - I can imagine everyone going to see this ... I expect I'll catch it in the New Year after the rush is over ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't suppose mine will be a regular thing either, but for a while. I can't remember when Paddington is coming out over here, but I love the trailers.

      Delete
  2. I'm always telling myself I'm going to start drinking smoothies on a daily basis, but right now it's always occasionally. Drank one this morning, though. Happy National Cat Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well occasionally is good. Don't think I will be doing it daily. Will see.

      Happy National Cat Day to you too.

      Delete
  3. I adore Paddington Bear!!! I have all, or at least most, of the books. Had no idea there was a movie coming out.

    I made that chicken broccoli bake last night. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trailers are so funny I think the film will be a hoot. Michael Bond's daughter is a friend of mine.

      Glad to hear it. Haven't tried it yet.

      Delete
  4. I eat a banana every day for the same reason - to avoid cramps. Sorry, couldn't add anything green to it. I'd think I was drinking Soylent Green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to Google that. Trust you to think of something so nasty. I am enjoying my smoothies.

      Delete
  5. I've tried smoothies and unless they are all fruity and probably a 1000 calories, I just don't like them. I want to like them though, they look healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find this one delicious and quite sweet enough for me. It's about 212 calories

      Delete
  6. Paddington, yes (love him, have one with Wellies)., Kelp no, to me it tastes terrible--perhaps with a banana and honey, it would taste OK. I know it is good for you. Looking forward to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to the movie too. I find with my recipe I hardly notice the kelp. Nor do I need the honey I'm pleased to say, adds more calories.

      Delete
  7. I just started doing my smoothies again. I use baby spinach, a banana(love them), a small cup of Greek yogurt(plain) for probiotics. Sometimes I mix in something citrus.

    I will be taking my kids to see Ol' Pads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Save my yogurt for dessert at suppertime. I am pleasantly surprised how well this is turning out. Might try spinach next week.

      I will have to find someone to go with me unless I go alone for a matinee.

      Delete
  8. I love, love, love, kale. Congrats on building a new drink for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used it except in soup before. I do like this smoothie.

      Delete
    2. I like to juice mine. I also love to make a Hungarian gravy and use the kale instead of string beans. So tasty.

      Delete
    3. Never heard of Hungarian Gravy, goulash yes, gravy no.

      Delete
  9. My eldest son had a Paddington Bear when he was a baby. I eat a banana every day too for the potassium which is supposed to regulate blood pressure... plus they're very cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really looking forward to the movie. I didn't remember bananas were good for blood pressure, sure doesn't do anything for mine.

      Delete
  10. My husband has been complaining a lot about flaking nails so I'll see if he can be persuaded to try this. It does sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It said greens and protein Helen, I figured I was getting plenty of protein but I knew I wasn't getting the greens these days.

      Delete
  11. We never used to eat breakfast (I know its said to be the most important meal of the day) but when David started getting 'funny turns and irregular heartbeats' we revised our eating plans and now make sure we eat more regularly.
    We love smoothies but tend to always settle on banana, apple, fresh ginger and milk and/or yoghurt. Only variation is we add a carrot sometimes and some of the raspberries I picked and froze a few weeks back. Never tried green veggies in a smoothie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always eat breakfast. My father was a stickler for a good brekkie and I guess I never stopped. Not that I have the variety he used to have. Herrings in oatmeal for instance, can't even find herrings or smoked haddock round here.

      I was predominantly after the greens as my taste buds have gone funny and I haven't been eating enough of them. You versions sound good though.

      Delete
  12. Interesting post. My husband has recently been complaining about flaking nails so I might see if I can get hime on to leafy green smoothies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, did you realise you commented twice?

      Delete
  13. Sorry, Jo. The first one didn't show up so I thought it hadn't gone through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typical. Cyber space does some funny things doesn't it?

      Delete