Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Discounts, Murder, Charity, Trapple and Turkey.

Today we are going for our 50% off lunch at the Mandarin Chinese restaurant. Only available for people over 65 which we have to prove. They always give seniors a discount but this is particularly good. Maybe I’m wising up, Tuesday’s, seniors get 20% discount at the local pharmacy so yesterday we went to get some goodies. For some unknown reason, unknown to me anyway, the government pays for my glucometer (to read my blood sugar) it also pays for the strips (well some of them, insurance pays for the rest) but it will not pay anything for the lancets  (the things you prick yourself with) so I finally figured if I have got to pay for them, I will get a Lancetsdiscount, which I did. I actually saved $7 on stuff from the  pharmacy yesterday. I am suitably pleased and will most certainly remember to do such shopping again. Our supermarket has a pharmacy dept. and we often just pick up toothpaste, etc. etc. when shopping, they don’t give us a discount so I won’t be doing that again.

I bet all the female realtors will be thinking twice and taking precautions after the murder of one of their number this week.  They are saying ensure someone knows where you are, the husband in this case did know where she was but it didn’t help.

Just seen a news report on Bill Gates. Apparently he gives the equivalent of $4 million a day to charity. He and his wife have just given a huge sum to help with the current ebola crisis. He and his wife have given away so much to charity. I think he is still the richest man in the world. I wouldn’t mind if he let me have some chump change!! Our rent just went up $20 a month, oy vey!!

Turkey BreastI finally managed to get hold of the missing piece from our fruit fly trap (Trapple) so hopefully it will now start working. If it doesn’t I have things to fall back on. I also found a source for turkey breasts which I much prefer for the two of us. We really don’t need a whole bird. Will know what I can get later today.

I often put apple in salads, but this is a different way of doing it. From WebMD.

Roasted Apple and Cheddar Salad

Roasted Apple & Cheddar Salad
EatingWell.com

Roasted apples and Cheddar cheese turn an ordinary mixed green salad into something extra-special. You can use pears for this recipe as well.

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons apple juice
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2  apples, preferably Fuji, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 3 cups baby spinach, or torn spinach leaves
  • 3 cups Boston lettuce, torn
  • 3 cups curly endive, torn
  • 2/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • freshly ground pepper, to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. To prepare dressing: Whisk vinegar, apple juice, 1 tablespoon oil, honey, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
  3. To roast apples & prepare salad: Toss apples with 2 teaspoons oil and thyme in a medium bowl; spread evenly on a baking sheet. Roast, turning once or twice, until the apples are soft and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard fresh thyme, if using. Let cool.
  4. While the apples are roasting, toast walnuts in a small baking pan until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
  5. Just before serving, combine spinach, lettuce and endive in a large bowl; toss gently to mix. Divide the greens among 6 plates, drizzle with dressing and top with cheese, roasted apples and walnuts. Serve immediately.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

14 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - it's good you can get some things for free, and some reduced - well worth remembering to shop those days. Glad you've found Turkey breasts ... while the Roasted Apple and Cheddar salad sounds very good ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if people with diabetes get free stuff in the UK? Otherwise testing one's blood sugars would be a very expensive proposition.

      Delete
  2. Being diabetic myself I feel the pain of the prices for those things. Yeah I wouldn't mind if Bill dropping me a few thousand bucks isn't that like buying a cup of coffee for him? lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming you are in the States Brandon. Luckily here, the government covers most diabetic supplies other than the lancets. I cannot for the life of me understand why not the lancets though. Seems illogical to me.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad Bill Gates gives away so much money but I wish he'd do more of it locally, and by locally I mean in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they do a lot in the USA too JoJo, but I don't actually know.

      Delete
  4. Today you made me laugh again, grandmother. Thank you very much for reading my post even when you do not read IWSG posts, hahahaha. You're a sweet.
    I'm so jealous today. I would LOVE to join you and Matt at that Mandarin restaurant. Just thinking on Chinese food makes my mouth water. Of course you would let me eat a waiter or two with that tasty bitter sweet sauce, don't you?
    Good luck with that breast. :) Now don't lose the salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome dear We enjoyed our lunch today. It only cost us $14. No don't eat the waiters, they are busy looking after me.

      Got my turkey breasts.

      Delete
  5. I think we need to start a writer's charity - maybe Gates would donate?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill Gates and his wife are extraordinary philanthropists and are carving out a special place for themselves in Heaven... if you believe in it. I am a great admirer of Bill Gates and his attitude towards his wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Jo. I like Chinese food. Cashew chicken is one of my favorites. Yumm! I usually stick to buying the turkey breasts. Once in awhile I will buy a whole bird, depending on what the leftovers will be used for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Susanne. I buy just breasts as there are only two of us although I miss the dark meat.

      Delete