I bet all the female realtors will be thinking twice and taking precautions after the murder of one of their number this week. They are saying ensure someone knows where you are, the husband in this case did know where she was but it didn’t help.
Just seen a news report on Bill Gates. Apparently he gives the equivalent of $4 million a day to charity. He and his wife have just given a huge sum to help with the current ebola crisis. He and his wife have given away so much to charity. I think he is still the richest man in the world. I wouldn’t mind if he let me have some chump change!! Our rent just went up $20 a month, oy vey!!
I finally managed to get hold of the missing piece from our fruit fly trap (Trapple) so hopefully it will now start working. If it doesn’t I have things to fall back on. I also found a source for turkey breasts which I much prefer for the two of us. We really don’t need a whole bird. Will know what I can get later today.
I often put apple in salads, but this is a different way of doing it. From WebMD.
Roasted Apple and Cheddar Salad
Roasted apples and Cheddar cheese turn an ordinary mixed green salad into something extra-special. You can use pears for this recipe as well.
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples, preferably Fuji, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach, or torn spinach leaves
- 3 cups Boston lettuce, torn
- 3 cups curly endive, torn
- 2/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To prepare dressing: Whisk vinegar, apple juice, 1 tablespoon oil, honey, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- To roast apples & prepare salad: Toss apples with 2 teaspoons oil and thyme in a medium bowl; spread evenly on a baking sheet. Roast, turning once or twice, until the apples are soft and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard fresh thyme, if using. Let cool.
- While the apples are roasting, toast walnuts in a small baking pan until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Just before serving, combine spinach, lettuce and endive in a large bowl; toss gently to mix. Divide the greens among 6 plates, drizzle with dressing and top with cheese, roasted apples and walnuts. Serve immediately.