Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Bowling, Ebola, Norwegian Money.

Pin_Animation1[1]We went bowling on Monday but as it was Thanksgiving we didn’t have a full complement of members. In fact all of our team were there. I am pleased to say I bowled pretty well again, last game was a bit pathetic but… My average has gone up another point. Matt had a bad day I’m afraid.

After writing about ebola yesterday, it seems there are now patients ebola_virusin Canada, one was tested and cleared, another is awaiting blood test results. Enough to frighten one to death except they say it is only through body fluids that the disease can be passed. However, they haven’t solved the mystery of how the Texas nurse contracted the disease yet. One minute they say she followed protocol, the next they say she can’t have. One item of good news, Canada is beginning human tests of an ebola vaccine.

norway-moneyNorwegian banknotes are stimulating lots of admiration for their pixel artwork. There are a lot of different pictures shown in the article featuring different designs. The banknotes won’t be released until 2017 though but they are attractive. These are a couple of the designs which appealed to me particularly. Beats the usual humdrum style of most banknotes.  I like our new Canadian money but I gather a lot of people don’t.

This is a Cooking Light recipe which turned up on My Recipes. I happen to like tofu so would cook this as is but it says you can use chicken in you prefer. I see the ingredients talk about bottle ginger. We buy fresh ginger and keep it in the freezer until wanted. It keeps really well.

Szechuan-Style Tofu with Peanuts


Szechuan-Style Tofu with Peanuts Recipe
Spice up your supper with this Asian-flavoured vegetarian dish. For meat-lovers, feel free to substitute chicken for tofu.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup rice, about 3/4 cup tofu mixture, and 1 tablespoon peanuts)

Ingredients
  • 2 (3 1/2-ounce) bags boil-in-bag jasmine rice
  • 1 (14-ounce) package water-packed firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
  • 1 tablespoon less-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons black bean garlic sauce
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup matchstick-cut carrots
  • 1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
Preparation
  1. 1. Preheat broiler.
  2. 2. Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
  3. 3. Arrange tofu in a single layer on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray; broil 14 minutes or until golden.
  4. 4. While tofu cooks, combine broth and next 4 ingredients (through black bean sauce), stirring with a whisk; set aside.
  5. 5. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add salt and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until mushrooms begin to release liquid, stirring occasionally. Stir in carrots and ginger; cook 1 minute. Add broth mixture; cook 30 seconds or until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat; stir in tofu and onions. Serve over rice; sprinkle with peanuts.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

12 comments:

  1. I'll be going on a press trip to Africa in a few weeks and all I can think of is Ebola, Ebola, Ebola :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Africa is a very big continent Vanessa, so it may be fine where you are going. Where are you going?

      Delete
  2. I love the Canadian money! It's so much prettier than our boring USA money, which has to be changed every couple of years because the counterfeiters are so good these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find US money to be difficult. I once tipped a dollar in a hotel to be warned by a colleague that I had actually tipped $10. Our latest bills are supposed to be very difficult to counterfeit but I expect they will figure out how eventually.

      Delete
  3. Last I heard she hadn't followed protocol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that's so otherwise it would appear their protocol didn't work which would be really serious.

      Delete
  4. Good old Canada. I hope they're the country to have success with a vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. The Texas nurse has been helped by a transfusion from the other guy who survived.

      Delete
  5. I heard she took off her gloves, or something like that, before she was in the clear. But I also heard she'll be okay. She is getting the plasma she needs.

    Norwegian and Canadian money are so much prettier than US currency.

    Thanks for another yummy, healthy recipe, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad she did something wrong because I was scared that if she had completely followed protocol and still got it, things would be even more dangerous. There is now another infected who is being sent to Atlanta?

      You're welcome Robyn.

      Delete
  6. I think I'd substitute chicken for the tofu in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete