Thursday, January 10, 2019

Waste, Waste of Time, Clean Car,

Unpacking the shopping on Tuesday, I came across something that looked like nail polish. Took me a moment to realise it was the remains of a bottle of nitroglycerine from the hospital. How it got in our shopping bags I have no idea. However, it reminded me once again of the waste in our hospitals. The bottle is about half full, it was used on me when they thought I was having another heart attack and then the bottle became part of my possessions. There has got to be some way of recycling this stuff. Anything which was used once became mine even if it was never used again. I now have to send this to the pharmacy for safe disposal. But, it's a waste. Like the rubber glove usage. They must get through thousands a day. I don't know of a way round this but there has got to be one. Somebody must be able to figure it out. Having written this, I was reminded about our foot nurse who washes her hands then puts gloves on. Attends to my feet. Removes her gloves, washes her hands and puts on another pair of gloves, does Matt's feet, takes off the gloves and washes her hands yet again. Seems nonsensical to me.

Went to the Mandarin and had a very enjoyable lunch although I didn't think their hot and sour soup was as spicy as usual. Maybe just me. It was so nice to eat there though. We then went on to the bowling alley. Matt got to the top of the stairs and immediately decided he couldn't bowl. He likes to take a couple of Tylenol 3 a good hour before he bowls and of course hadn't done so. I put my shoes on and took my balls down on the lanes. I bowled a total of 12 balls, badly, but my main problem was my legs. Bowling on my own I don't get much chance to rest them without sitting there doing nothing for ages. So I guess I won't be bowling until I have had my vascular surgery whenever that is - June, July, who knows? However, the owner and son said we should visit even if we couldn't bowl. Promised to do so. Funnily enough there was one of the Monday League bowlers at Mandarin today.

Got gas on the way to the alley and paid for a car wash so stopped on the way back. Finally have a clean car. It was sitting in the garage for 3 weeks when I was in hospital, then it was a few weeks before I could drive anyway, so it was dusty as hell. Haven't had a chance to get it washed - do so when we get gas as we get a discount, so that's what I did today. I can now see out of the rear windshield!!!

Hopefully the computer guy will be here tomorrow and then he will be able to repair quickly. I have a ton of stuff to enter into the financial programme. Just had an email, he is coming tomorrow. I wonder what time he and his family got home? Nice of him to email me so quickly.

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. Too bad about the bowling. Is there any way to put together a bowling day with friends outside the league to give your legs a rest?


    I went to a quick care and got the itemized bill and saw where I was charged $4 for a dose of Tylenol. If I'd had known that, I'd have taken the ones I had in my purse and saved myself some money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idea is good Liz, unfortunately the only people I know that bowl already belong to a league. If I could join a league team it would be OK, but that leaves Matt out in the cold.

      $4 for a dose of Tylenol???? Glad I live in Canada.

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth has a good suggestion about the bowling.
    I don't think there's anyway around the rubber gloves now. Too many germs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is all the bowlers I know are already bowling in leagues Alex.

      Gotta be a way of reducing usage surely.

      Delete
  3. Have you ever watched old episodes of Julia Child's show? It made me crazy. She was cutting up chicken on the counter, no gloves, no clean-up of the counter. EEWWWW. Used lots of gloves in culinary classes too. Just too many germs out there and I am sure it is as much for the protection of the caregiver as it is for the patient. I keep wondering if my UTI after kidney surgery was from someone not being careful with that catheter. (You've made my brain spin on that one.)
    Guess you just need to rest your legs until they get taken care of. I hated giving up yoga, but being pain free for several months has been worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use gloves when handling chicken Denise. I do use special boards and lots of hand washing and clean up etc. Probably was the reason for your UTI, same as probably mine. Trouble is I wouldn't be pain free, lots of other things I have to do which cause them to hurt.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo ... well I'm glad you were able to get out and give bowling a go - and get to the Mandarin. Take care and all the best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was good to try Hilary even if it wasn't successful. Mandarin was delicious though.

      Delete
  5. At least you did a couple of your favourite things-the mandarin and bowling and that is good news! Pain is never great but i hope they can fix the veins...my aunt had the same problem. It is a shame about the gloves but I think they need to come up with gloves that can decompose after a while but still do the job they need to do. You are right though, a lot of waste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Birgit, the Mandarin was successful at least. Will be June or July before they can do anything. Yes, the gloves need to be able to decompose quickly. At the moment there is a heck of a lot of rubber being wasted.

      Delete
  6. So glad you got out on a more or less normal day! Sounds like you’re getting your feet back under you even if it is in a modified form. Sometimes I think we’re too focused on germs. We’re losing a lot of natural immunities because we are now “too” clean. An example of going too far one way...Why is Shingles so prevalent now? Because we no longer have chicken pox running through the community to keep boosting our immunity. Some dirt is good for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I enjoyed the food if not the bowling Lisa. I 100% agree with you about us being too clean. Have thought that for years. Children are not developing any immunity to diseases. We need to play in the dirt LOL.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about Matt's being unable to bowl due to pain. Hope your computer guy is able to sort out your desktop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the desktop is fine now JoJo. Lunch was good even if the bowling was not.

      Delete