Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Mandarin, Grocery Shopping, Carrots, Foot Nurse, Trump,

Supposed to lunch at Mandarin today, with a friend. Unfortunately they are talking about snow. Might not be too bad for Matt and I but my friend lives out in the country so.... Keep your fingers crossed for us please. Thinking might go bowling after, weather permitting. Not sure how we will do but we can take our time.

I now have an appointment for an ultrasound next week. All part and parcel of my urological problems. Not sure when I will get to the infectious diseases dept. I am told they would be very busy as it's flu season. However, I am somewhat concerned as from all I know, bladder/kidney infections can be quite serious.

Today, Tuesday, was grocery shopping day and I treated us to a Grand Ferrero Rocher each. They are a large chocolate ball with two more chocolates inside. All made with typical FR nutty chocolate. Both of us pigged out and ate the grand ball although we have the two regular chocolates left. That 20 lbs I lost in the hospital is disappearing rapidly, think I had better watch it. Mind you the other part of my brain is thinking about ordering two more next week. They are less than $5 which isn't bad for what they are. Yummy.

We finished off the top sirloin on Tuesday night, missed having the gravy - we'd finished it, plus no more Yorkshire puds. However, I did a roasted carrot dish, in foil, which was pretty good. Basically you oil the foil with olive oil, add small carrots (I used chopped up big ones) add a little sherry or something similar, some fennel seeds, a little sugar, salt and pepper, close them up and roast them at 400°F for 20 minutes or until done.

Got our feet done Tuesday, first time since my hospital visit. Mine weren't too bad, but Matt could have climbed trees with his toe nails. No wonder he is always cutting his finger nails. His shoes must have felt uncomfortable.

Watched Trump last night. Was impressed at first but then everyone produced the actual statistics which he had lied about. I see now why he actually convinced people to vote for him.

Have a great day

18 comments:

  1. Kidney/bladder infections aren't anything to trifle with. Stay on them!

    I love those chocolates. I've never seen the big ones, but I sometimes treat myself to a small one. They have them in the candy aisle for 30 cents each. Beats buying a whole candy bar, right?

    I'd been wanting cooked carrots that were tasty. I tried boiling some and they were meh. Then I tried the microwave and they weren't all that great. I never thought to roast them. I know, I know...it's the Philistine in me blocking good sense. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Liz.

      The big ones are pretty good, the whole thing is regular FR chocolate. But yes, just buying 30 cents worth is probably the best way to go LOL.

      Do try roasting, I resisted for ages but they are good.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - hope you can get out to lunch. I love those chocolates. Take care though ... and I hope the health issues ease - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Hilary, no sign of snow yet, but.... Yes, Ferrero Rocher are delicious. I am fed up with dealing with health issues but plodding on.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear that you're up for bowling again Jo and back into cooking - take care though and go slowly.
    I tried roasted carrots for the first time this Christmas - so easy and very tasty. I love roast parsnips too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't actually bowled yet Fil, not sure how that will go. Cooking is a must, nobody else to do it. Yes roast carrots are easy. I like roast parsnips too.

      Delete
  4. I didn't watch Trump - never do. He lies constantly. And so do his staff. Central Americans are coming here to escape death at home, not because we have a good economy and want to take our jobs. And when it comes to imported goods, Americans pay the tariffs, not the exporting country. What an idiot. And that's who voted for him - idiots.
    I started roasting carrots awhile back and my kids love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of us were impressed with his speech, and then we came down to earth realising how many lies he had told. I can see how people get conned by him Denise.

      Yes, they are good roasted.

      Delete
  5. Lunch a bowling. That sounds fun. Hope it all goes well for you. We have a dusting today and yesterday it was like spring, mixed with hail. So weird.

    Sounds like you guys are really loving the candy/chocolates. Cool beaners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully Ivy, no snow yet. Yesterday was quite warm here. 5 or 6 C.

      Yes, the chocs are excellent.

      Delete
    2. We got some today, and it was pretty to look at and the pups enjoyed being outside in it.

      Delete
    3. We got a light dusting last night Ivy, but that was it.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know people actually ate and liked those candies. I can't have them due to my nut allergy but I was under the impression they were regifted like fruitcakes. I hope you got to eat at the Mandarin today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they are delicious JoJo. Talking to the bowling owner, he did the same, ate the whole "ball" in one sitting. By the way, I like fruitcakes so no re-gifting from me. Yes, we did eat at the Mandarin.

      Delete
  7. "Matt could have climbed trees with his toe nails" Laughed my head off at this. My husband's toenails can get like that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we are both classified as diabetics or borderline, so our insurance pays something towards having a foot nurse Pinky, just as well with his toenails!! Even the foot nurse was quite surprised.

      Delete
  8. That chocolate is soooooo good but so bad. Why does all the good stuff be bad for us? :) I remember my mom's toenails and you made me laugh when you wrote that he could climb a tree with them...hahahaaa. My mom's was the same

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that bad Birgit, once in a while anyway. Quite some nails.

      Delete