Thursday, January 24, 2019

Rent, Snow,

I finally got hold of the Landlords and Tenants Board again on Wed. morning. They assured me that, although there is an application outstanding, and it has been issued a file number (which I now have) nothing has, as yet, been done and no tribunal has been held. She also assured me that we tenants would be informed of the date of the tribunal and the results once it had been held. Of course we are able to go to the tribunal if we wish. What this document is that the management have, I don't know.

So it snowed, and snowed, and snowed. The roads were white this morning so there was no way I was going to drive to Cambridge to the cannabis clinic, it not being an urgent matter. Then this afternoon it rained and it is supposed to freeze so I am not planning to go anywhere today. Tomorrow I have the urologist appointment, but that is in town and not far away.

Had to post one of my favourite snow pictures. He is so cute. I suggested to Matt we went and played snowballs this morning, funnily enough he wasn't keen on the idea. Shame on him.

I just thought; maybe the landlords are pulling a snow job!

I am making Sicilian Olive Chicken for supper tonight. Haven't had it in a while. Matt is not keen on the olives but they are fairly easy to pick out.

There were a bunch of recipes for people with sore throats which I read this morning. This one particularly appealed to me. I happen to have a packet of soba noodles too, used to make Yaki Soba a lot once, haven't made it for a while. I particularly like the comments. For instance, the recipe yesterday contained Spanish Chorizo, in my researches, I found that Italian sausage can be used instead.

Orange Ginger Broth with Soba Noodles

A recipe is merely words on paper; a guideline, a starting point from which to improvise. It cannot pretend to replace the practiced hand and telling glance of a watchful cook. For that reason feel free
to stir your own ideas into this dish. When you cook it once, it becomes yours, so personalize it a bit. Add more of an ingredient you like or less of something you don't like. Try substituting one ingredient for another. Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!

1 sml pkg soba noodles
2 cup orange juice
2 cup chicken stock
2 inch piece of ginger, frozen
1 Tbs soya sauce
1 cup sliced green onions
2 cup baby bok choy, chopped
1 cup bean sprouts
1 carrot, grated
1 Tbs sesame seeds

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

2. Season with salt and then add soba noodles.

3. Boil just until they have softened, about 3-5 minutes.

4. Drain and rinse.

5. Bring orange juice and chicken stock to a simmer.

6. Grate in frozen ginger, reserving some for garnish and add soya sauce, green onions, bok choy, sprouts and carrot.

7. Stir until bok choy is wilted.

8. Place some soba noodles into soup bowls.

9. Ladle in some broth and vegetables and garnish with sesame seeds and grated ginger.

Servings: 4

Author: Michael Smith
Source: Food Network



Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - well snow does stop one in one's tracks if there's no need to travel - so glad to see you don't need to - til the urologist, which is local.

    The idea of Sicilian Chicken appeals ... but food to feed the soul and thus the body is essential at this time of year ... take care and love your 'snow-man' - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roads are clear today Hilary, it rained in the afternoon.

      I love the Sicilian Chicken, we both enjoyed it. Yes, he is a nice snow-man isn't he?

      Delete
  2. Yum on the ginger and orange with the noodles.

    Snowed over the weekend, then yesterday it was warmer and so much ice came sliding off the trailer and today, snow again. Tim bought me two new shovels and I can't wait to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it sounded good Ivy, not tried it yet.

      Thank goodness we don't have to shovel. OK at your age, not at mine.

      Delete
  3. Good that you'll hear about the rent increase and that it is not in effect right now. Hopefully it won't pass. Such a cute snow bunny. People used to make snow bunnies in Montana if it snowed close to Easter (and it did a lot of years).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am paying a 1.8% increase from last year, but they are asking for 4.8% which hopefully they won't get.

      Never actually seen a snow bunny Betty, must have been fun.

      Delete
  4. Just curious, when was the ladt rent increase? My hairdresser goes for years without increasing prices and then they take a significant jump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A year ago Denise, when we first came here they didn't increase ours for a year or two. But having spent a lot on balconies I guess they are trying to recoup. Most hairdressers charge a fortune round here for a simple cut, let alone anything else.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm...Rent can be increased much higher than the normal yearly rates if the owners did major work which they did-ie-balconies etc... It used to be 12% hike which is disgusting but I am glad you are all getting together to complain about this. Love the snowbunny and yesterday was gross and i was in extreme pain...very horrible and this morning-snow. Love the snow and the way it covered the trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Ford is talking removing rent control I understand!!!! They applied for 4.8% - 12% would kill most of us.

      Sorry you were in extreme pain Birgit, I know what you mean. The snow was pretty, but it didn't last long.

      Delete
  6. I know it's cold, but Matt doesn't want to go play in the snow?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some days, it's best to just stay indoors. We had torrential rain this morning and as much as I hydroplaned all over the road, I wish I had stayed at home. I would've been playing in the snow though if we had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hydroplaning, that was very dangerous Diane. I think you should have stayed home too.

      Delete
  8. Snow does put a damper on travel. This recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we haven't had as much as Buffalo Lisa.

      Delete
  9. Gotta go with Matt on the snowball thing. I have never been into that. lol Building a snowbun though...I'd definitely do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wimps, the pair of you LOL. Yes, be fun building a bunny JoJo.

      Delete