Friday, October 5, 2018

Missing Blog, Thanksgiving,

Sorry no blog yesterday, was a bit under the weather. Still am, not bowling today.  My IBS is playing me up.

By the way, on Tuesday I got the results from my Ultra Sound and, just as I thought, I am suffering from venous deficiency, i.e. not enough blood getting to my legs. The study compared to an ultra sound I had in 2017. One of the things mentioned on the results is dyslipidemia. Never heard of it so Googled. Reading to the bottom it says:

You could have dyslipidemia and never know it. Like high blood pressure, high cholesterol doesn’t have obvious symptoms. It’s often discovered during a routine blood test.
However, dyslipidemia can lead to cardiovascular disease, which can be symptomatic. High LDL cholesterol levels are associated with coronary artery disease (CAD), which is blockage in the arteries of your heart, and peripheral artery disease (PAD), which is blockage in the arteries of your legs. CAD can lead to chest pain and eventually a heart attack. The main symptom of PAD is leg pain when walking. I  have been putting up with pain in my legs for a few years now and nobody knew this before!!!
On the advice of the Manager of the Click and Collect Department at my grocery, I have decided to try a stuffed breast of turkey for our Thanksgiving Dinner. It apparently takes 2 1/2 to 3 hrs to cook and will be a reasonable size for Matt and I. The picture looks good of course. I hope it will turn out to be as good as it looks. We will be having our dinner on Saturday. I have been toying with the idea of getting more pre-prepared meals to save me spending so long in the kitchen when it hurts. However, from the above, maybe I won't be doing that anyway.

I thought this sounded a very unusual recipe. Chorizo is certainly available round here. We have a strong Portuguese contingent in the next town. They look absolutely delicious. I first 'met' chorizo in Spain where my parents lived for a few years.

Chorizo Stuffed Bell Peppers

6 bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded
1 lb chorizo sausage
1 stalk celery, minced
1 carrot, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
chopped fresh parsley
chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato soup

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Place peppers in boiling water, and cook 5 minutes. Remove, and set aside to cool.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

3. In a large skillet, cook chorizo until almost brown. Drain fat. Stir in celery, carrots, onions, and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, basil, rice, and water. Cover, and simmer until rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and mix in Monterey Jack, Cheddar, and Mozzarella cheeses.

4. Place peppers upright on a baking sheet. Stuff each pepper with the chorizo mixture. Sprinkle extra cheese on top.

5. In a small bowl, combine tomato soup with just enough water to give the soup the consistency of gravy. Pour generously over peppers. Cover with foil.

6. Bake in preheated oven about 30 minutes.

Servings: 6

Source: AllRecipes
Author: MALAPSO

Author Notes
Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.

Have a great day
 

21 comments:

  1. I've been looking for Spanish chorizo around here, to no avail. I want to make some paella. Might have to order it online.
    You have also inspired me to start thinking of my Thanksgiving menu. Think I am doing a turkey breast in the slow cooker, which was so good this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a difference between Spanish and Portuguese chorizo Denise? Sounds like a good way of cooking the turkey.

      Delete
    2. All I can find is Mexican chorizo which is soft, not dried. I would imagine that Portuguese is similar to Spanish.

      Delete
    3. In that case Denise, this sounds more like Mexican in the recipe. You have to fry it. I seem to remember we used to just cut off chunks of the sausage in Spain and eat it. Long time ago now though.

      Delete
  2. If it's high cholesterol, you can start immediately controlling that with your diet, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't think so Alex. From reading the report I think I will probably end up with more vascular surgery which will be a nuisance to say the least.

      Delete
  3. Hope you are feeling better today. I hope a diet is all that is needed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit. Afraid that is not the case, as I said to Alex, think vascular surgery will be required.

      Delete
  4. Wifey would like this recipe she is a big fan of chorizo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good Stephen. Nice to have a new recipe she would enjoy.

      Delete
  5. That's terrible nobody caught that sooner. It should've shown up in a blood test. We get a physical every year so I know where my HDL stands - it's about as low as it can get on the scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We/they knew about the cholesterol Diane. I am on a pill for it. I already have stents in my arteries. However, the last time they did an ultrasound they said it wasn't serious. Now I think they have changed their minds.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jo - what a nuisance that PAD - still at least it's been caught ... and I know vascular surgery is painful. I hope they can resolve it soon for you.

    I love stuffed peppers and this sounds delicious ... I also love chorizo ... I'd just give the idea a try ... and not worry too much about exact ingredients ... but that's the way I cook, unless I need to cook something precisely ... or am giving out a recipe - which I don't do! I always cook off the hoof - so to speak.

    I just hope the pain eases and things can return to some degree of normality for you - enjoy the Turkey ... sounds interesting, and makes sense buying ready cooked meals if you can find ones you both enjoy eating ... take care and happy thanksgiving - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At long last Hilary.

      I love stuffed peppers too. I tend to do what you say, cooking off the hoof!

      Happy Thanksgiving too. Do they still not celebrate that in England?

      Delete
  7. Oh I hope they find a way to help you with the PAD. So sorry to hear this, but maybe now they can help you... This recipe looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, so do I. Hopefully they can put a stent into the problem areas or something.

      I thought it looked pretty good

      Delete
  8. I hope you sort out that leg problem. Ongoing pain is awful. Surgery might be the best thing since you are already on medication for the cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have a couple of stents Pinky, imagine they would have to insert more.

      Delete
  9. Do you have to wear pressure stockings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so by choice, in fact I wear copper socks JoJo, I do find they help. I had some stockings from the doctor a few years back and had terrific trouble getting them on.

      Delete
  10. I think other website proprietors should take this internet site as an example , very clean and fantastic user genial style . coffee maker in 2018

    ReplyDelete