Tuesday, October 2, 2018

ISWG Anthology, Present, Bowling,

ISWG are presently looking for authors of YA short stories with the theme as shown below. These anthologies seem to get a pretty wide audience so I do hope you will consider submitting a story.

The annual IWSG Anthology Contest is open now! YA Romance, theme: masquerade. Get the details - http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/2018/08/the-2018-annual-iwsg-anthology-contest.html @TheIWSG #writingcontest 

Unfortunately I don't write stories. I used to write poetry once upon a time - nothing like the modern stuff  - mine rhymed which is what poetry used to be all about.

I was thrilled to bits today to receive a birthday present from a group of friends. We are the Dragon Fellowship and I came to be known as Grandma Dragon. I even have a book dedicated to me by Liz Seckman, to Jo Wake, grandmother to dragons. Matt took this photo of me and as I said to the group, I look 100 plus not 80. Guess I am a) a tad tired and b) my back has been giving me trouble and c) maybe I really look that ancient and am kidding myself. Anyway, for what it's worth, here is my great sweatshirt being worn by some old broad. Thanks so very much to all of the group. Can't wait to wear it bowling.

Talking of bowling, I had two pretty good games and we thought we had won all three until they ran the results on the computer. Turned out we had only won one game because there was a new guy who didn't have an average until the computer worked it out at the end. I was so disappointed.

This seems like a good way to cook a turkey. I love sauces of any kind made with Port. As an aside, did you know Knorr is pronounced with the K sounded?

CITRUS HERB-ROASTED TURKEY and PORT GRAVY

1 orange, halved
2 pots Knorr® Homestyle Stock Chicken, divided
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh herbs *
2 Tbs (30 mL) olive oil
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper, divided
2 sweet onions, quartered
10 lb and a bit (5 -kg) turkey, giblets and neck removed
1/4 cup (60 mL) port wine
1/4 cup (60 mL) water
2 Tbs (30 mL) all-purpose flour
2 Tbs (30 mL) heavy cream or whipping cream

1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Squeeze juice from ½ of the orange; set aside.

2. Combine 1 pot Knorr® Homestyle Stock - Chicken, herbs, olive oil, orange juice and 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) black pepper in small bowl. Rub mixture under and over turkey skin. Arrange remaining 1/2 orange and onions inside cavity of turkey. Arrange turkey in roasting pan on rack.

3. Roast turkey 45 minutes.

4. Decrease oven to 375°F (190°C) and roast 1 hour. Baste turkey and turn pan in oven. Continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reaches 180°F (90°C), about 1 hour. Remove turkey from pan and keep warm. Skim fat from pan drippings, then pour drippings into measuring cup. Add enough water to bring total liquid to 2 cups (500 mL).

5. To make gravy, add drippings mixture, wine and remaining 1 pot Knorr® Homestyle Stock Chicken to roasting pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Combine 1/4 cup (60 mL) water with flour in small bowl, then stir into pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until gravy is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Strain, if desired. Stir in cream and remaining black pepper. Serve gravy with turkey.

* Thyme leaves, sage, parsley and/or rosemary

Source: Knorr

Author Notes
If desired, supplement pan drippings with a giblet stock in place of water. To make stock, bring giblets, neck and 4 cups (1 L) water to a boil in saucepan. If desired, add carrot, onion and celery. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour, then strain and use.

Have a great day

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning the contest.
    You look great in your dragon shirt! Not a day over sixty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look AWESOME!!! Love the sweatshirt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JoJo. I love the sweatshirt too.

      Delete
  3. You deserve it all. Who else could keep a crazy group of writers on task and sane?

    I agree with Alex, not a day over 60.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, I think you are exaggerating Liz, but thanks.

      Both you and Alex should book an appointment with the optometrist methinks.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - the photo looks great ... and congratulations on the sweatshirt - it'll be great fun to wear out. You have great interaction with so many bloggers ... so carry on being 'grandma' of whatever age you want to be ... That turkey recipe looks delicious ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. it's good isn't it? I do like being Grandma Dragon I must say. It is a good one I think. Many people in Canada will be cooking turkeys next weekend.

      Delete
  5. Look at you! I think it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. Nothing wrong with the shirt, but I'm not too happy with the face above it LOL

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the contest information, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great in that sweatshirt!!! That turkey looks yummy 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa.

      I thought so too although I am not cooking one on the weekend.

      Delete
  8. *After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think. coffee maker in 2018

    ReplyDelete