Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Coffee Maker, Bowling, Cousin,

Had a lovely time Monday evening, I decided to clean the coffee pot. That went OK, but I decided it needed a bit more so sent some more vinegar water down it, next thing I knew, there was water leaking all over the place and Matt and I cleaning up everywhere. Decided to let it cool and try again, same thing!! I finally tried it, once more, but this time kept it in the sink just in case, yup it leaked all over again. Just water, not coffee. So that was the end of that machine. Luckily, I had a brand new one in a closet. Not sure how long I have had it, the warranty is probably expired, nevertheless it should work for a long while. I think this is the one I have, not totally sure. Looks similar anyway. I am so glad we had that one in the cupboard. I would be lost without my decaf coffee.

Didn't have a very good game on Monday. Only the two of us as a lot of people were celebrating. Some teams were down to one and ended up bowling with other people. Having discussed it with one of the owners and his son, we have decided that when the couple who used to play with the rest of our team, return, we will just form a 2 person team on our own as these days we are both so very slow. Not sure how they will split the scores, etc.

Had a delightful chat with one of Matt's distant cousins who lives somewhat up north of us. Hoping she will be able to drop in when she comes south in November.

I tried this recipe out for supper tonight, it was pretty good. Will make it again. I cheated and used canned beans. We both enjoyed them - enough for two suppers.

Stewed White Beans with Tomatoes and Rosemary

1 lb dried white beans, such as Great Northern or cannellini, picked over, rinsed, and drained
1 onion, 1 half finely chopped (1/2 cup)
1 carrot, cut crosswise into thirds
1 celery stalk, cut crosswise into thirds
1 dried bay leaf
1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes, with juice
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 tsp red-pepper flakes
1 sprig rosemary
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Soak beans in water overnight. Drain, and transfer to a large pot. Cover beans with 4 inches water. Add the intact half of the onion, the carrot, celery, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender but not bursting, about 1 hour. Drain, and remove onion, carrot, celery, and bay leaf; discard.

2. Pulse tomatoes, with juice, in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Heat oil in a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, the garlic, and red-pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and garlic are tender but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and rosemary. Bring to a boil.

3. Add beans, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomato sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm, and drizzle with oil just before serving.

Servings: 8

Source: Martha Stewart

Have a great day

12 comments:

  1. I usually end up breaking the pot before the coffee maker. No idea how it is I manage to do it so often, but I do. It's usually cheaper to replace the whole thing instead of just the pot.

    The recipe sounds delicious. As a kid, I always added ketchup to my soup beans...seems I was onto something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knock on wood, I don't break the pot. Boy have I ever got to keep on knocking wood LOL.

      We really enjoyed these last night.

      Delete
  2. I have a cafetiere which is very basic but works well! Your recipes looks delicious. Unfortunately husband doesn't think he's had a meal unless there's meat with it - but I suppose I could do him a chop on the side!
    That's Purrfect
    Around My Kitchen Table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through a lot of coffee Pat. It was delicious, yes do him a chop.

      Delete
  3. My last coffee maker went that way too - bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had them leak the water all over the place before. Pain in the whatsit Fil. New one is good anyway.

      Delete
  4. Water is easier to clean up than coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Alex, I did once have something similar with coffee all over the place. Lot of swearing going on.

      Delete
  5. I love my Keurig. It makes 1 sm., med., or lg. cup at a time. Glad you had the extra coffee maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is I drink a lot of coffee Melissa. Albeit decaf, but I drink it all day long. Having to make a cup at a time would drive me crazy. It's bad enough when a 12 cup carafe becomes empty.

      Delete
  6. The bean recipe looks soooo delicious!!! Sorry about your coffeemaker but glad you had one on hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good JoJo. The coffee maker was a pain, but as you say, good I had one on hand.

      Delete