Monday, October 8, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving Canada




I cooked our stuffed turkey breast on Saturday and it was pretty good, we both enjoyed it. I also found a cabbage and mushroom dish which I served with it. I followed it with Chocolate Lava Cakes with cream. I had a little problem with the Cabbage recipe, it doesn't say drain the cabbage or not, so I drained it and then realised that I needed the stock so I added wine and it turned out fine. I have also added don't drain to the  recipe.

Green Cabbage and Mushrooms

1 small green cabbage, cored and diced, about 6 cups
1 cup vegetable broth
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 lb mushrooms (shiitake, if possible)
1 1/2 Tbs cornstarch mixed into 1/4 cup cold water
1 Tbs fresh dill weed, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried
1/2 tsp paprika
Salt and black pepper to taste

1. In a covered pot over high heat, steam the cabbage in the stock for 5 minutes until it is just wilted and still bright green. Remove from heat and remove cover. Don't drain.

2. While the cabbage cooks, heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok, and sauté the onion and mushrooms until they brown. Add the cabbage and heat through, mixing well.

3. Stir the cornstarch mixture well and add it to skillet. Bring mixture to boil, stirring, until liquid thickens. Reduce heat and season to taste with dill, paprika, salt and pepper.

Servings: 6

Author: Andrew Weil MD
Source: WEIL

Have a great day

8 comments:

  1. I've never seen a recipe that called for undrained cabbage anyway.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor have I Alex, however, I made it again last night and didn't drain it. It was thickened properly by the cornstarch and gave it a totally different texture.

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving. Glad the turkey worked out for you. I am already working on my Thanksgiving menu.
    It is Columbus Day here. Some guy discovered a country that had been inhabited for hundreds of years. Then some other guys came and stole it away from the natives. And we celebrate this. Jeesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I will certainly use it again.

      I know what you mean. A friend from South Africa, whenever people talked about the state of the natives used to say "Give America back to the Indians".

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - Happy Thanksgiving - thick foggy mist today ... glad the turkey was good, while serving it with cabbage and mushrooms seems a good mix ... and yes how often I've thrown the veggie water out only to remember I needed it for the gravy or stock. The lava cake sounds too good - cheers and have a happy day - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. Been getting a lot of fog here too lately. Almost like England LOL. That's exactly it, I needed it for stock. It all worked pretty well.

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving. The lava cake sounds a bit yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all yum Pinky, I love lava cakes.

      Delete