Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Bloody Government

I am not a very happy camper at the moment. To start off, went for a 5 p.m. appointment with the doctor to discuss the ultra sound I had. Apparently there are blockages which is why I am going for a CT Angiogram. Fine. But - we both wanted some Tylenol 3 for our aches and pains. You should see all the hoo ha we have to go through. The government, in its wisdom, seem to have decided that anyone taking Tylenol 3 must be addicted and therefore has to be weaned off. We have both been given decreased scrips decreasing the amount we are given over a period of time. Bugger whether we are in major pain or not. If  we are still in pain (you think) we will be sent to a methadone clinic where we will be given some other medication which is non addictive. Tylenol 3 is an opioid apparently and people are dying, in Canada, at the rate of 11 a day because of opioids. This means the rest of us have to be punished by withdrawing our pain meds. This is bad enough for Matt and I, but for people in major pain all the time will also have to go through this process. I don't understand the thinking. In our case, there is no way Matt and I are addicted, but we are in pain. I am seriously thinking I had better start making some noise. We both had to answer masses of questions then complete a form and do a urine test. We have now got prescriptions which get less every time you need a refill and if you run out before the specified date, tough bananas. Hurt you oldster, hurt.

In my case, I have been given a scrip for Lyrica but she is holding off on Matt for now because he has two new meds from the Geriatric Clinic. I guess she will put him on Lyrica later. But, if Lyrica was any good, surely they would have recommended it before!!!

So, sorry, I am somewhat annoyed and not really in the mood to say anything else nor to look for a suitable recipe.

Have a great day
 

21 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that Tylenol 3 had addictive ingredients. The abuse of these medications is leaving a lot of people to suffer. My mother was on the Tylenol 3 for years with no problems. They sent her to a pain clinic where they put her on methadone and the bog trouble started.

    If it helps any, my nephew who works in pharmaceuticals assured us that the body will adapt and regulate pain better without narcotics. He says (and I may get this wrong, he has the phD, not me!) that narcotics actually destroy the natural pain control in the body and increase our pain. The longer we can ignore pain before using any pain relief, the better the body gets at sending dopamine and whatever else it uses to numb the pain. If pain pills are in the mix, they interfere with this process.

    But that's no help for the pain you're feeling now.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Liz. I have been using Codeine since I was a kid. I am definitely not addicted. However, my pharmacist says Lyrica should work. Ve shal see

      Delete
  2. Opioids numb your brain and do nothing to deal with the cause of the pain. Pain blockers, like Lyrica, are much more effective IMO. Of course, I really dislike pain meds that effect the brain's ability to function, which opioids do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The junkies have ruined it for everyone here as well. I have to go about 20 miles to my doctor cause they're the only ones that prescribe xanax. And if you want a refill, you have to go in and see them. They also knocked my dosage down from 1.0 that I had out west to 0.5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently people my age are becoming addicted JoJo. So 'cos they are stupid, I can't continue to have any.

      Delete
  4. Yep, for a while there it wasn't cared about, now the pendulum has swung the other way. Sorry about your pain. Hope there is something that can help that you will find. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my doc said David. First they were under-medicating seniors, now they say they have been over medicating them. Hoping Lyrica will work.

      Delete
  5. So busy trolling for the few that abuse it that they are hurting everyone who truly needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alex, except 11 deaths a day rather shocked me.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jo - I do hope things settle down for you both. Take care and all the best for the future - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's frustrating. You both need that drug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Diane. Hopefully the Lyrica will help

      Delete
  8. The same thing has happened in Australia. We can't get proper cold and flu tablets anymore or strong codeine for pain. I feel for you, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of the few, the many have to suffer Pinky.

      Delete
  9. It is act7ally found that Tylenol 3 is not addictive as my doctor pointed out. It is not ocycodone or anything like this and, I have been able to wait longer than the 4 hrs before taking tylenol3 since my infusion. I still need them daily but I am happy when I don’t have to 5ake them every 4 hrs. I won’t know what I will do because this keeps my severe pain at bay so I can move and talk. My pain affects my jaw as well since it’s a joint. This pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said Birgit, Bloody Government. They have reacted badly to a bad situation so the rest of us have to suffer for it. I certainly have never found it addictive. Have you asked your doc about Lyrica, that's what they are putting me onto.

      Delete
  10. Im sooo sorry Jo! This is the problem with abuse. The innocent ones are always the ones to pay the price... Make some noise! This is totally unfair...😡😡😡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Lisa. I have been thinking I should make some noise by getting others to support me.

      Delete
  11. Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks coffee maker in 2018

    ReplyDelete