Monday, March 9, 2015

Sunday

Looking through our living room windows it was just like looking at a postcard. The sky was robin egg blue, the light was perfect, the snow was almost pristine and everything looked gorgeous. I didn’t even try and take pictures, I don’t think I could have done it justice.

However, around 2 a.m. this morning, someone was hollering for a good half hour, maybe longer. I’m not sure who, I am not sure where, but I think further down the street behind the trees. I don’t know what he was shouting or why, could have been drunk being a Saturday night, but being out in the snow for a long time at 2 in the morning, seems a bit much even for a drunk. I assume someone called the cops, it did stop eventually. Very odd.

Otherwise it was a very quiet weekend and I spent most of it with my nose buried in a book. I’ve been re-reading one of my favourite authors, Dick Francis, an ex champion steeplechase jockey. He is no longer with us, but his books are – I have them all.

Whilst I was sick recently, I really didn’t enjoy much in the way of food, even coffee which I drink by the gallon (decaf) tasted off to me. I don’t know what made me think of it,  but it occurred to me that I would enjoy an egg custard. I found a recipe, but never could be bothered to make it. Lethargy was the name of the game at the time. Now the lethargy seems to have receded, maybe I will get round to making it. Certainly easy enough.

Baked Custard

Betty Crocker

Enjoy this smooth and creamy custard that’s baked to perfection. Perfect dessert to treat your family!
Baked Custard


  • Servings 6
Ingredients

 
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt
2 1/2 cups very warm milk (120°F to 130°F)
Ground nutmeg
Directions
  • 1 Heat oven to 350°F.
  • 2 In medium bowl, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt with wire whisk or fork. Gradually stir in milk. Pour into six 6-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
  • 3 Place cups in 13x9-inch pan on oven rack. Pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of tops of cups (see box, below).
  • 4 Bake about 45 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean. Remove cups from water. Cool about 30 minutes. Unmold and serve warm, or refrigerate and unmold before serving. Store covered in refrigerator.
    EXPERT TIPS
    Expert Tips
    Before making custard, in heavy 1-quart saucepan, heat 1/2 cup sugar over low heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until sugar is melted and golden brown (sugar becomes very hot and could melt a plastic spoon). Immediately divide syrup among six 6-ounce custard cups before it hardens in saucepan; carefully tilt cups to coat bottoms (syrup will be extremely hot). Let syrup harden in cups about 10 minutes. Make custard as directed in Step 2; pour over syrup in cups. Bake as directed in Steps 3 and 4. Cool completely; cover and refrigerate until serving or up to 48 hours. To unmold, carefully loosen side of custard with knife or small spatula. Place dessert dish on top of cup and, holding tightly, turn dish and cup upside down. Shake cup gently to loosen custard. Caramel syrup will drizzle over custard, forming a sauce.
    Why is custard or crème brûlée baked in a pan of water? The water bath method helps custard bake gently and evenly. Without the hot water, the edges of the custard cook too quickly. Put the custard cups in the empty pan, put the pan in the oven, then carefully pour hot water into the pan. When the custards are done, remove the cups from the water or they will keep cooking.

    Have a great day
    Jo_thumb[2]

    12 comments:

    1. That rare perfect snow moment...
      No idea what nut case was out like that in the middle of the night.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Matt's camera could have caught it. No film!

        I'd nut case him... Not seen anything in the new so guess it wasn't newsworthy unless Beer for the Shower picked it up.

        Delete
    2. We just had a baked custard pie. Store bought though. It was covered with fruit slices of all kinds. Kids really ate it up.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I prefer to make my own, but when you have kids that's not always the easiest, or most convenient, option.

        Delete
    3. My dad used to make custard, individually and the larger sized flan with the caramel-like sauce on it. Also grape nut custard. I was never really a fan till I got older. I love pudding though. I guess it's basically the same thing.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Flan or crème caramel is one of my favourite desserts. Baked custard is also one of my favourites.

        Delete
    4. I hate it when the taste buds are off and nothing tastes right.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Me too Diane although it's great if you are dieting LOL.

        Delete
    5. Nuts in the snow - could be a book title.
      I want to try this recipe. Thanks, Jo. Stay snuggled down reading, and get better!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hm, Nuts in the Snow. You are right.

        I am lots better now thanks Dixie.

        Delete
    6. Well I don't have a sweet tooth so the recipe does nothing for me but I'll save it and 'treat' hubby one day LOL.
      Talking of 'nuts' .... Whilst we were on Fuerteventura last month I made him some nut brittle ... I was reading a newspaper on the plane and one of the authors wrote that she was addicted to it and its so simple to make. Simply caramelise sugar in a frying pan over medium heat and toss in some hazelnuts, stir the nuts around to ensure they're well coated then turn out onto greaseproof paper to cool/set. I had a small piece and quite enjoyed it to my surprise but hubby loved it and ate the whole trayful in one afternoon!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Those nuts sound delicious but I will not be trying them. I could eat a few pieces but I would probably do the same as your hubby and people with diabetes are not supposed to do that.

        Delete