Thursday, March 19, 2015

Egypt, A to Z.

How's your day?

I received this picture in my email today. I think it’s the most wonderful lookiEgypt's New Pyramidng concept and I do hope the Egyptians build it. I bet it will cost a bit though. Looking to further capitalize on one of the most well recognized structures on the planet, the Egyptian government has unveiled renderings for a glassy pyramid skyscraper—a less-than-subtle (read: 660-foot-tall) homage to the country’s beloved ancient monument and tourist attraction. I would love to see it once it’s unveiled which will be a year or two into the future I guess. The Egyptian pyramids have always fascinated me, along with a large proportion of the rest of the world I suppose. I never made it to Egypt though which is a pity. I know one couple who went and who never went near the pyramids but just had 'fun in the sun'. To my mind that would be a wasted trip..

I have been working, off and on, on my A to Z posts. Considering I Old Agepost more or less every day anyway, I don’t know why I worry about doing my posts in advance. Maybe it’s just because I can with topics chosen in advance. I have the bulk of them done but it’s been a slow old process this year what with me not being 100% and Matt the same. Matt keeps saying it’s ‘cos we are old. I don’t agree, some of the things can happen to young people just as easily, like my sepsis for instance and falling on the bowling alley can happen to any damned fool who doesn’t have shoes on.

I don’t often choose breakfast recipes. I liked the sound of this even though the picture doesn’t look all that prepossessing. I haven’t had porridge in years – I really don’t know why I enjoy it very much. As a youngster I used to enjoy it with thick cream. Very good for the figure that was.

Spiced Rice Breakfast Porridge Porridge

Contributed by Kay Chun
SERVINGS: 4 

In this hearty porridge from F&W’s Kay Chun, steel-cut oats and brown rice come together under a delicious topping of caramelized bananas.
  1. 1 cup steel-cut oats (not quick-cooking)
  2. 1/2 cup short-grain brown rice (not quick-cooking)
  3. One 3-inch cinnamon stick
  4. 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
  5. 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  6. 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  7. 2 bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise
  8. Roasted chopped almonds and heavy cream, for serving
  1. In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups of water with the oats, rice, cinnamon stick, 1/3 cup of the sugar and the salt; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and thickened, about 30 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
  2. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, melt the butter. Press the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar on the cut sides of the bananas. Cook sugar side down over moderately high heat until caramelized, about 2 minutes. Top the porridge with the bananas. Serve with chopped almonds and cream.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you fell in the bowling alley. Hope you're doing okay, Jo. I'm impressed that you've already written so many of your A to Z posts. I've only written a few so far. Good luck with your hubby's colonoscopy today.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was on New Year's Day Julie. Think I had more posts done this time last year. Ah well. Thanks, he will be glad to get it over with.

      Delete
  2. My hubby wants to go to Egypt some day ... I can't imagine anyone going and not seeing the pyramids though I'm sure about this new one.
    Well done you on getting so much of your A to Z done ... I'm still dithering about a theme ... I think I'll go random like last year and wing it .
    I hope you and Matt are both starting to feel better.
    Fil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new one isn't built yet Fil, it's only a concept. I did random the first year I did A to Z.

      Me too, it's about time.

      Delete
  3. I like oatmeal sometimes but I get sick of it pretty quickly. I just eat mine with milk and sugar, and sometimes some craisins (dried cranberries). It would be really need to see the sights in Egypt in person. Unfortunately I am just not flexible enough to deal with third world conditions & I don't like Middle Eastern food either. So I guess a trip like that would be great for weight loss for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egypt isn't really third world JoJo. I am sure they, like most countries these days, have MacDonalds. Have you ever been out of the States?

      Delete
  4. That skyscraper is wild.
    Glad you have most of your posts ready. You just want to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is always a positive sign when countries are thinking of building and architecture rather than tearing down and destroying. Good for Egypt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, not like those ISIS idiots who are destroying ancient artifacts.

      Delete
  6. That's an exquisite image of the building. It would be incredible if it's actually built.

    Mmm, I am tasting my own saliva as I look at that recipe. It would make a delicious dessert too, I imagine.

    Thank you, Jo. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn. You are right it probably would.

      Delete
  7. I feel sorry for that poor little chick at the top. I don't think I will do the A-Z thing this year since I've been trying to write a book and penning chapters for that with my spare time. I'll support you through it of course Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the first person who mentioned it. I thought it was funny. I didn't know you were into the writing game too Pinky. Wishing you all the best with it. Your support is appreciated.

      Delete
  8. What happened to my comment? Try again...

    A chick amongst the lizards. Not a good place to be. That skyscraper concept reminds me a bit of the building I've seen in San Francisco.

    All the best with the dreaded A to Z :)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not lizards Gary, baby gators. It's an interesting concept isn't it?

    Thanks, I enjoy it, I know you are anti. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete