Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Bowling, Weather, Kargrandes.

Pin_Animation1[1]I have been despairing of my bowling lately, not just because I have been ill either. I just couldn’t “find the middle” which is kind of what you have to do in 5 pin bowling. However, things just might be looking up as my last three games have given me reasonable scores, not brilliant maybe, but much better. Our team was in first place but has dropped to fifth – I don’t think it’s just me though at least I am trying to convince myself it isn’t.

The weather has been absolutely perfect again, for a March day at least, with lots of sunshine and this week our temps are steadily rising with talk of 7°C. I suspect that it will be the old story of March coming in like a lamb and going out like a lion. Pessimistic aren’t I?

I have been working on my A to Z posts a bit the last few days. I toldDragon of the Stars by Alex J Cavanaugh Alex J. Cavenaugh I didn’t think I would be taking part after all, but my go hasn’t entirely gone after all and he was right not to take me off the list. Actually my theme is somewhat inspired by a comment of his last year. Of course Alex himself will be releasing Dragon of the Stars right in the middle of the A to Z so he is going to have a very busy month. I should ask the question he has on his special website, What are the Kargrandes? There are currently nine clues to help you solve the puzzle. I already know, having won the book a while back. I am not telling, of course, but I am not immune to bribery. Alex please note.

If it’s got noodles in it I tend to be interested. This recipe appeared on MyRecipes but originated with Cooking Light.


Fiery Beef and Rice Noodle Salad


fiery-beef-noodle-salad-ck-x



Think salads aren't filling? Then you haven't tried this one packed with rice noodles, fresh vegetables, and tender steak.
Ingredients
2 ounces uncooked rice stick noodles
12 ounces flank steak, trimmed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cooking spray
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
1/2 habanero pepper, minced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
12 basil leaves, torn

Preparation


1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Coarsely chop noodles.
2. While noodles cook, freeze steak 5 minutes. Remove from freezer; cut across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
3. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add beef; sauté 4 minutes.
4. Combine steak, noodles, lettuce, onion, cucumber, and habanero. Combine juice, sugar, and fish sauce; pour over noodle mixture, tossing gently. Sprinkle with basil.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

16 comments:

  1. I'll send you a case of Hot Tamales! No wait - I'll send you spring if you keep it a secret.
    And see? Glad I didn't take you off the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is a great idea.

      Yes, you were right Alex.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your bowling. Hope you guys can pull back into first place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoJo, we've got a long way to go I think.

      Delete
  3. Pleased to hear that you're feeling better and the bowling scores are improving Jo. We're hoping to start tenpin bowling again but on an ad-hoc basis as our frequent visits to Fuerteventura put paid to us joining a regular league any more. Love the sound of that recipe. We went to Herne Bay (remember that place) to watch the teatime screening of Second Best Exotic Hotel and then on to a new Thai Noodle restaurant for a really delicious meal last night ..... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy league bowling but travel does put the kibosh on that.

      I am looking forward to seeing that movie. I have the first one.

      Noodle place sounds good

      Delete
  4. Ours came in like a lion, so I am expecting the lamb.

    I am a really good gutter ball bowler. I have never consistently found the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope ours copies yours then.

      Maybe you should bowl with the bumper bars up Liz.

      Delete
  5. Here we're having the Lion first.
    You know, I'd like to at least reach the gutter! Maybe it's the arm (or the brain.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, you all having the Lion, maybe it will leave you and travel north.

      It's easier with 5 pin, the ball isn't so heavy. Mind you, you can still end in the gutter. Many do.

      Delete
  6. I met you through the a-z but I don't think I have the stamina to do it this year Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity Pinky. I have been doing it for a few years and it's fun. I enjoyed your A to Z last year.

      Delete
  7. I love the sound of that "salad." I thought the clues might mean the Kargrandes were dragons, but I'm evidently wrong! I can't figure it out... Can't wait till it comes out so I can find out! So glad you're bowling again, and I have confidence that, with a little time, you will win back that first place...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean you don't know yet with 9 clues already!!!

      I hope we do get our rating back, but there's not a heck of a lot of time now.

      Delete