Monday, March 2, 2015

Health, Cleaning.

statHooray, yesterday I took my last antibiotics and hopefully this bout with sepsis is now all over. I go to check up with the doctor this morning, but hope that’s it. This has been a pretty nasty run and one I don’t want to experience again. Oddly enough it turned out that a close friend of mine in South Africa also had a major kidney infection this last week or so. I still feel somewhat weak, it takes a lot out of you, but at least I am interested in food again and can go back to living my normal life.

I think I have also solved my cleaning problems, we have a couple Mrs. Mopcoming in on Wednesday morning and hopefully they will suit us and vice versa. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I like the idea of a couple as it means they are not in your home for nearly as long.

Last night was the final episode of this season’s Downton Abbey but as I had already seen it, I won’t be watching. I am surprised they release the DVDs before the season has ended. My friend has all of them, I don’t think I would want to see the lot again. Not yet awhile anyway, maybe in a few years’ time.

We have a favourite London Broil recipe which we picked up in the States many years ago. However, this one sounded interesting. In my part of Canada London Broil is not the same thing as it was in North Carolina where we used to buy a 2 to 3lb. slab of meat to marinate and then barbecue. It can be a chunk of inside round or even sirloin steak which is much more tender.

London Broil With Cherry-Balsamic Sauce

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

London Broil With Cherry-Balsamic Sauce
London broil is a thicker cut of steak that benefits from the tenderizing effects of a marinade. Ours does its job and then doubles as a sauce when simmered with some shallots. Use any steak leftovers on top of a salad or in a sandwich with fresh spinach leaves.

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup dry red wine
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons cherry preserves
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 pounds London broil, trimmed (see Ingredient note)
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
  • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons butter

Instructions

Step 1
Whisk wine, vinegar, cherry preserves, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place meat in a shallow glass dish. Pour the marinade over the meat and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator, turning several times, for at least 20 minutes or up to 8 hours.
Step 2
Remove the meat from the marinade. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan; add shallot and set aside. Brush a ridged grill pan (see Tip) or heavy skillet with oil; heat over medium-high heat. Add the meat and cook for 10 to 12 minutes per side for medium-rare, depending on thickness, or until it reaches desired doneness. (It may appear that the meat is burning but don't worry, it will form a pleasant crust.) Transfer the meat to a cutting board; let rest for 5 minutes.
Step 3
While the meat is cooking, bring the marinade to a boil; cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until it is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Remove from the heat; add butter and whisk until melted.
Step 4
Slice the meat thinly against the grain. Add any juices on the cutting board to the sauce. Serve the meat with the sauce.
Tips
Ingredient note: London broil is a thicker cut of steak that benefits from the tenderizing effects of a marinade.
Tip: A ridged grill pan is great for indoor grilling, but you can use the broiler or, if weather permits, cook the steak on an outdoor grill.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

16 comments:

  1. Best wishes for the doctor visit, and the cleaning crew. I'm glad to hear you found someone/two so quickly. It makes my life a lot easier and safer to have help.

    I do't what it is, but I always seem to kill London Broil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dixie.

    How can you kill it? Do you overcook it or what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know you are feeling better. I am so grateful I made it through this winter with no illness. If you need cleaning help, I have this little guy who loves it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. I don't usually get winter illnesses luckily. Send your little guy over, he looks as though he does a good job.

      Delete
  4. Two people really should clean faster than one. I hope the couple works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Diane. Usually a couple takes about 2 hrs.

      Delete
  5. Glad you're feeling better. May that cleaning couple be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except I have just been told I should still be resting!!! I hope so too Alex.

      Delete
  6. Another recipe I will have to try! SO Very glad you're feeling better! What great news that is, and that you might have found a solution to your cleaning problem. I hope they work out and I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep resting and build back up slowly. No need to rush anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. So do I hope they work out OK.

      Supposed to bow this aft, but I am not sure if I will.

      Delete
  7. I still like cooking steaks using good old fashioned cast iron skillets pans. I sear them by pressing down with a second cast iron skillet pan. Nothing fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a cast iron pan for regular steaks too Stephen. My mother always taught me to get the pan as hot as possible to then sear them instantly.

      Delete
  8. Hope the couple works for you well.

    I just finished my chores for the day. Now off to workout ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked on your link for sepsis and it sounds very dangerous. I'm glad to hear you pulled through it. You sound back to your feisty self :) I had a couple who used to come and clean my house many years ago when the kids were little. They were impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Pinky. I guess I am not totally over it yet - bloodwork and such today.

      Hope this couple will be as good.

      Delete