Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Bowling, Hospital Response, A to Z.

Pin_Animation1[1]It was, of course, a bowling day again on Monday and for once we both bowled pretty well. Matt increased his average by 2 points and I increased mine by 1 so we were both feeling pretty chuffed. The alley owners and I discussed and fixed up the end of season dates as well as the beginning of the summer league dates. We were supposed to go on the Travel League on Thursday,  but because of the body work we are having done on the car, we can’t go. Not sure what time we will be picking up the car, Matt guesses late afternoon so we will go to our home alley as usual on a Thursday. In April we also have the Travel League banquet which takes place on the 23rd.

I nearly forgot, I had a response from the hospital. However, before they can take action they needed Matt's permission to open his file. Permission having been given, we will see what happens from there.

I have been working on my A to Z posts some more, I have three Tina Downeyposts to be completed. I didn’t take part in the big reveal on Monday as I had forgotten which day it was anyway. As I said it’s all about food anyway which should come as no surprise to anyone. If anyone needs more details about the A to Z this year, just click on the badge/logo at the side and it will take you to the sign up page. It is, of course, intended to honour our good friend Tina Downey who died in September last year and whom we very much miss. She was a great motivator for the hosts of the A to Z challenge and you know they will really miss her this April.

I like rice salads and the use of coconut intrigued me. So I thought I would share it with you.

Coconut Rice Salad

Food & Wine by Kay Chun

SERVINGS: 4

In this simple one-bowl meal from F&W’s Kay Chun, delicately Coconut Rice Saladflavoured coconut rice is tossed with cooked chicken and crunchy cucumbers.

  1. 1 cup jasmine rice
  2. 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
  3. 1 tablespoon sugar
  4. 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
  5. 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
  6. 2 small Kirby cucumbers, chopped
  7. 1 tablespoon canola oil
  8. Chopped scallions, for garnish
  1. In a large saucepan, combine the rice, coconut milk, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and all of the coconut milk is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the rice stand for 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the chicken, cucumbers and oil. Season with salt and garnish with scallions.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - good to see Tina - but so sad, she's no longer with us. I've never really mastered rice, though I do use it occasionally and enjoy it when I'm out if the occasion (ie my meal) fits it! Good luck with the car, but more importantly with the hospital - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often cook rice, it's really not that difficult.

      Car is expensive. as for the hospital, we shall see.

      Delete
  2. I'm still heartbroken about Tina. She had commented on my wedding photos on 8/19, 2 days after our wedding, how happy she was for us and how she was all teary eyed seeing them, and just a few short days later she was gone. I miss her so much. She'd be so touched and probably a little embarrassed, that A-Z was being done in her memory. In retrospect I probably should've signed up in her honour but I truly cannot think of alphabetical topics on which to write about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it seemed so unexpected although maybe not to her family.

      You could have done something with your beaches surely?

      Delete
  3. So, where are you on the A to Z list now???? Your number 71 is someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checked, I am at #70 on the original sign up list.

      Delete
  4. Perfect salad for my GERD problem. Will buy Coconut Milk. Tina lived not too far from me in Colorado, always wanted to meet her somehow. I loved her Swedish posts especially. I loved her positive spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take Tecta for my GERD.

      Pity you missed the opportunity. She was a wonderful person. I would have loved to have met her as well.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear your bowling is improving. I hope the hospital offers an apology at least.

    Can't wait to see what wonderful foods you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I don't think my average can possibly get as high as last year, not enough time. I guess I kind of had an apology of sorts.

      Hope you will find them interesting.

      Delete
  6. This sounds wonderful, the coconut rice! Of course. Glad your bowling is shaping back up! Hope the news from the hospital is good...Looking forward to following your posts in April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I meant to get some coconut but forgot. This Smart Car we have rented doesn't have too much room for shopping in the back. Not heard anything from them yet. Thanks, looking forward to yours as well.

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to a month of foodie posts Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How surprised/disappointed we would all be if your challenge wasn't about food Jo. You've thoroughly typecast yourself! I'll be by once a week to check out the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've certainly had to do a bit of searching to do what I've done this time. I hope everyone enjoys it.

      Delete