Thursday, June 16, 2011

Surgery, Lobsters

Skip this if you don’t want to read about my day in surgery. I was inundated with good wishes and thank all my friends for thinking of me.

It was a lovely day – I don’t think. Got to the hospital earlier than required. Registered and then was put into bed in the Day Surgery dept. The first Peripheral Angioreally nasty thing that happened, a nurse came along to take my sugar reading which was 7.1 when I had taken it earlier it was 6.1 – someone said it was the excitement of being there, yeah, I was truly excited!!! Then she decided to insert the IV in a vein on my wrist which she assured me was the best place because it was straight. I didn’t know they had to worry about puncturing vein walls. That insertion was excruciating. She told me to wiggle my toes so I would distract myself from the pain. Did something, not a lot. That was sore all day, but when they finally removed it, I hardly noticed the site at all. I was supposed to go for my procedure at 10, it was considerably after. So hanging around in the ward was a pain, albeit of a different kind) finally I was taken to the surgery and left in the hall for about 15 minutes! Finally saw the surgeon and proceeded to have an argument about which leg. My left leg is more blocked, but my right leg gives me more problems, in the end he agreed to do the right, so they had to change me around on the bed. Then they strapped my legs down. Help! My back was killing me too. Finally they put me to sleep and the next thing I recall was being in recovery with a nurse who kept telling me to stay awake. How? I spent the rest of the day drifting off to sleep the minute I was left alone. I was given a sip of diet ginger ale which I kept upchucking. I wasn’t given any food all day, not a thing. I thought diabetics had to eat!!! When I did get home at 8:45 p.m., Matt made me some soup and toast. I took my sugars before and they were 10.7, later they went up to 15.10. I couldn’t believe it when I had eaten nothing all day except the soup. However, this morning it was down to 4.6 so that’s great. I have one more stent inside me somewhere and my leg is as sore as hell.

What surprised me – last time I had this procedure I was wide awake, I certainly didn’t get my legs strapped down either, nor did I have to lie with my legs straight for 6 hours. In fact they kept me overnight last time too. I am still a bit dopey today (Matt will say there’s no change) but if there is anything odd about this blog today, my apologies.

National Lobster DayWhen I got home yesterday, I discovered it was National Lobster Day. That being on of my favourite foods, I asked Matt where my lobster was. No reply. So I guess I don’t get to celebrate the day!!!

Now I’m going to have some breakfast and come back to this blog.

Matt has gone grocery shopping this morning, I Decadent cookiesdecided if I can’t have a lobster today, I will have artichokes or chocolate chip muffins/cookies to console me. Our grocery store have their own brand of wonderful Decadent chocolate chip cookies. Really healthy for me of course, but being a big baby, I have decided I want some spoiling today. Especially after a day of starvation.

I don’t know how these compare, but here’s a recipe from Hershey’s chocolates, so they should be pretty good.

Decadent Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

IngredientsHershey's Chocolate Chip

1 cup butter, softened250 mL

3/4 cup packed brown sugar175 mL

1/2 cup granulated sugar125 mL

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla5 mL

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour400 mL

1/3 cup cocoa75 mL

1 teaspoon baking soda5 mL

1/2 teaspoon salt2 mL

1 package (250 g) CHIPITS® Special Dark Chocolate Chips

1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans300 mL


  1. 1 Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
  2. 2 In large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until creamy.
  3. 3 In medium bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Stir in premium dark chocolate chips and pecans.
  4. 4 Drop dough by tablespoonsful (15 mL) onto greased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Let cool for 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to rack and cool completely.
    Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
    TIP: Use your favourite nut -- walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts all taste great.

Have a great day



  1. Maybe you felt a bit of a lobster yourself with tubes in you.

  2. Well I was certainly lobster colour where they had strapped my legs up and then removed the taping.