Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Red Lobster, Hair Cut., Cannabis Scrip, Rent Increase,

Went to the Red Lobster and used our discount coupon for lunch. Apparently if you choose a dinner item, you get the dinner discount. Don't quite understand their logic but I am not complaining. Matt had a tilapia and shrimp dish which is spicy, it has 3 slices of jalapeño (I think) as garnish and Matt ate one. He didn't really know what it was. He found out!! Drank a lot of water. I chose an "Ultimate Feast" again, I particularly wanted some crab legs. I had taken my lobster pick with me which is much smaller than the fork they supply. Enjoyed it. I didn't bother with broccoli or any other veg and no sides of any kind. They knocked $1.25 off for that, nice of them.

Then went to the hair salon - decided I wasn't ready for a cut yet. She cut an amazing amount off Matt, incredible, she did all the things like ears and eyebrows. She also took a straight razor to his neck. Could have cut his throat with that. I forgot, she made me a cup of green tea whilst I was waiting. I was very impressed. She is a very nice woman. Matt doesn't remember going to her before, but he was impressed with her today. Well, when I had my hair cut she did the stringing I mentioned. Fascinating how she gets the string to vibrate and pull out chin hairs etc. Never seen that done before.

I might mention that it is bloody cold outside too. Coldest I have felt in a while.

Today, as I said, I have to go to the Cannabis doc for a renewed scrip. In the afternoon, I want to study the document the superintendent says he has from the Landlords and Tenants Board giving our landlords the right to increase the rent by 4.8%. If this is true, I will be making a noise about why none of us have been so advised by the Board. That, in our case, is over $60 a month. That is going to put a big strain on our budget although, I forgot, Matt just got a $5/month increase on his work pension. Makes the raise $55 I guess!!!

As so often happens, the picture grabbed me on this recipe. Not sure if I can get Spanish chorizo. I know I can get Portuguese but am not sure it is quite the same thing. My mother always had some on hand when they lived in Spain and we used to chomp on it all the time.

Chorizo and Potato Stew

This is the hearty, rustic, and deeply warming comfort food you'll be craving on all snowy days. Yes, it’s a large amount of paprika, but it serves as a base flavor for the stew and gives it a deep red color
and smoky aroma.

6 bacon slices, chopped
2 medium sweet onions, finely chopped
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 Tbs tomato paste
2 ½ lb russet potatoes, peeled, cut into ¾" pieces
2 lb smoked Spanish chorizo, cut into rounds, halved into half-moons
1 lb button mushrooms, cut into ½"-thick wedges
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
? cup hot smoked Spanish paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper
Kosher salt
1 cup sour cream
2 cups torn dill
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown but not yet crisp, 5–7 minutes. Transfer to paper towels.

2. Add onions to same pot and cook, stirring often, until golden and softened, 8–10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until slightly darkened in color, about 2 minutes. Return bacon to pot, then add potatoes, chorizo, mushrooms, broth, paprika, and cayenne and bring to a boil. Reduce heat so liquid is at a bare simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 25–30 minutes. Remove from heat; season with salt.

3. Stir sour cream and 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl to combine; season with salt.

4. Divide stew among bowls and top with sour cream, dill, and a few grinds of pepper.

Servings: 8

Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day

18 comments:

  1. Good luck finding good Spanish Chorizo. I ordered some from Amazon to make paella and it was awful. If you find a good brand let me know.
    It has been very cold here too, though warming a bit so it is likely on its way to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Denise except of course I am likely to find a Canadian company so it might not be accessible to you.

      It really snowed last night which means I will not be going to the cannabis lab today. It has been extremely cold here for the last few days.

      Delete
  2. That is a big rent increase! Would definitely affect anyone on a budget no matter what their age. I would imagine rent has gone up here in Phoenix seeing how the minimum wage went up 50 cents at the start of January. Landlords figuring out a way to get more money when people thought they could get ahead.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if it goes through Betty. The Landlords & Tenants Board have assured me the case has not even gone to tribunal yet.

      Delete
  3. That sucks about your rent. I hope you guys can work it out! I don't think I've ever seen Spanish chorizo around here. We have a high population of Portuguese so that's the meat we get. I like the turkey linguica. Less spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As above, the case has not even been discussed yet JoJo. Spoke to the Board this morning. We also have a high population of Portuguese which is why I have doubts about Spanish chorizo too. Read I could use Italian sausages instead.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo,

    Sorry you guys are freezing and getting snowed in. Aweful about the increase. These landlords make is SO difficult for seniors to survive on a budget. Many of us will be in the same situation within the next ten years or so... it doesn't look good for any of us.

    Take care. I hope you are feeling okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, lots of snow Michael. Increase not certain yet thankfully. We have rent control at the moment but our government is talking about removing that, in which case we will be in trouble.

      Feeling a lot better thanks Michael.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like you've found a hairdresser with a great business sense or naturally hospitable. How impressive.

    It seems like any time we get a pay increase, something comes along to absorb it. We never get any richer, we just keep having to deal with bigger and bigger numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, she is good.

      Ain't that the truth Liz. The rich get rich and the poor get poorer.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had a great meal. Funny that you knocked off the veg of any kind.

    So nice that she made you a cuppa whilst you waited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Ivy, too much going on with the shellfish to bother with veg. I'll eat my veg at home.

      I thought so and enjoyed my cuppa.

      Delete
    2. I get that, of course, all I eat is veg so for me the plate would be empty - sad face here - but I totally get where you're coming from.

      Delete
    3. We eat a lot of veg so I don't worry about missing it at the restaurant Ivy.

      Delete
  7. Ok I had to look it up and they can't increase the rent by that much plus they were to give you proper notice. I have a link to what i read...http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/documents/ltb/Brochures/2019%20Rent%20Increase%20Guideline%20(EN).html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have read that document Birgit, I printed off a copy of it. The landlords gave me proper notice, but the tribunal hasn't happened yet.

      Delete
  8. I hope they can't do the rent increase! I'll bet there are a lot of folks in your buildings that are on a fixed income. That is undue hardship! Yummy recipe, again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not too Lisa, you are right, lots of people on fixed incomes here. Yup, gotta try it.

      Delete