Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Food, Birthday's. Year of the Pig, Cannabis,

Well, I got my haddock and my Italian sausages. They didn't deliver the haddock to the store again but eventually the boss man from the main store delivered the smoked haddock himself. Not sure when I am going to use it though. Whilst in the store I picked up some nice thick honey. I have previously only bought it at the asparagus farm because last year the store didn't have it. Should have checked it out before.  I am not sure what the difference is, but this calls itself wildflower honed and raw. I love it, it is so thick and tasty. I also opened one of my pickled asparagus jars today too, I still have one more to go. I am already beginning to salivate about fresh asparagus!! In the Victoria St. Market, where I got the things above, they had some very thick asparagus spears. I was tempted, but they looked somewhat old so I didn't buy them.

Today we got the coupon for Matt's free birthday meal at Mandarin. I also got a notice from them
telling me it was Chinese New Year's starting today, it's the Year of the Pig. Chinese New Year's means dumplings and more dumplings. I will certainly celebrate Matt's birthday with a dumpling or two or three. They have such a variety. I see they have a link on Instagram now, not a site I have had anything to do with. Maybe I will check it out. This photo shows a selection of some of the dumplings, they all can be improved with sauces which are spread around.

Today we are planning to get hair cuts, Matt's hair is really long, mine isn't too bad but it needs trimming at least. Then we will go to the Red Lobster for lunch using our discount coupon. I think they will send Matt a coupon for a free dessert for his birthday. Believe that's what we got last year.

Wednesday I have to get my cannabis prescription renewed. Of course I didn't take it for months and only recently started again. I have actually found that, although I am only taking 1.5 mL a day, it is helping my back somewhat. Nothing really helps my legs of course. Thursday I go to the Urologist to find out about my ultrasound. Heard nothing from the Infectious Diseases dept. at the hospital, will ask about it on Thursday.

Here is a recipe for Chinese steamed pork buns. They are delicious.

Char Siu Bao (Chinese BBQ Pork Buns)

Light and airy steamed buns filled with tasty BBQ pork.

1 cup char siu, chopped finely
1 green onion, sliced finely
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 Tbs hoisin sauce
1 tsp honey
1 tsp xiao hsing wine
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1/8 tsp Chinese five spice
1 batch dough (see below)

1. Mix the char siu, green onions, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, xiao hsing wine, sesame oil, Chinese five spice.

2. Roll the dough into a log and cut it into 12 equally sized pieces.

3. Roll each piece into a ball, flatten and place a tablespoon of filling into the center. Pinch the dough on both sides then pinch the dough on the top and bottom. Pull the four pinches up to the center and given them a little twist.

4. Place the balls on squares of wax paper, cover and let rise for 30 minutes.

5. Place the balls into a steamer, without touching each other, and steam for 10 minutes.

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking.

Char Siu Bao Dough

A dough to make light and airy buns whether steamed or baked.

1/3 cup water, lukewarm
1/3 cup flour
1 package active dry yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs oil
~1/2 cup water (lukewarm)
1 tsp baking powder

1. Mix the water, flour, yeast, and sugar in a large bowl and let it sit for 30 minutes.

2. Add the flours, baking powder, salt, sugar and oil.

3. Mix while slowly pouring in the water until it just forms a dough.

4. Knead the dough until smooth, about 3-5 minutes.

5. Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for 3-4 hours.

6. Sprinkle the baking powder over the dough and knead it well.

Servings: 12

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking



Have a great day
 

22 comments:

  1. We took Carter, boy #3, to Red Lobster for his birthday. We told the waitress it was his birthday dinner and he got a free cheesecake. That was awesome, until they came clapping and singing, then I thought he'd choke his dad and I for mentioning it was his birthday. Oh well. Free is free.

    Tell Matt happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that. Free dessert is good though Liz. I must admit the clapping and singing can be a tad much.

      Will do, thanks.

      Delete
  2. Your post is making my mouth water - Chinese food is my favourite! Although, at the other end of the scale, smoked haddock is one of my least favourite! I think it was because we were forced to eat it at school.
    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love Chinese food Patricia. I don't ever remember being forced to eat anything at school (long time ago mind you) but smoked haddock used in kedgeree or fish pie is wonderful.

      Delete
  3. You enjoy all your lunches out! Making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red Lobster has become a favorite of ours since we've been dieting. We stick with the fresh fish with a garden salad, ranch on the side, and a double order of broccoli. Very tasty! Enjoy all the delicious outings!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't bother with the veg Betty. I can eat that at home. I just eat as much shellfish as I can.

      Delete
  5. Is organic honey thicker? We still have some from my uncle when he raised bees - 28 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Diane, but I'm not sure. 28 years?? Amazing, I would have gorged on that before now. Incredible how honey keeps.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to Matt! Hair cuts, asparagus and Red Lobster. Sorry nothing helps your legs. For me, it was dropping dairy and bam, what a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy. Didn't have my hair cut not really necessary yet. Lunch was great. Well I have peripheral arterial disease Ivy, don't think dropping dairy would make any difference.

      Delete
    2. Never know until you try because dairy is an inflammatory food. But yeah, arterial disease, not fun.

      Delete
    3. No it isn't fun Ivy. I don't eat a lot of dairy, just some milk in the morning and once in a while a small amount of cheese.

      Delete
    4. I read that eating foods low in saturated fats can help, too. I dunno for sure. And then I also read that keeping the blood sugar even helps. Again, I don't know if that's true or not. Either way, not fun to have.

      Delete
    5. Lots of foods can cause problems Ivy, but when your arteries are clogged it means vascular surgery. My sugars are pretty good too.

      Delete
  7. I haven't had char sui bao since i lived in San Francisco. It was my fave thing at dim sum restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to get yourself up to the US/Canada border and pop over to the nearest Mandarin right now JoJo. They always have them for New Year's.

      Delete
  8. A happy birthday to Matt! I love honey and we get a great honey from the Montreal area, from a farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be able to get good honey where you live Birgit, there is lots of Ontario honey around.

      Delete
  9. I love love love honey and always have it in the house. I prefer local honey as it helps with allergies and immunity. Glad you all had a wonderful meal at RL! I read these posts backwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Lisa, I like the thick kind. You are doing it backwards, you're right.

      Delete