Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Sleep Deprivation, Road Works, Shopping, Pickling,

Monday night we watched an English documentary The Truth About Sleep which I found very interesting. It was hosted by a doctor who had given up being a doctor because he was an insomniac and became extremely bad tempered due to lack of sleep. Not good for patients. There is, apparently, a lot of research going into sleep deprivation in the UK and they carried out a few tests in conjunction with some research labs. The ex doctor said he would go to sleep til 3 a.m. and then that was it. By the end of the programme he was getting a much better night's sleep. So by this time I was too tired to write a blog and so went to bed, I had to take the car in for service at 8 a.m. The programme must have affected me because at 3 a.m. I was wide awake. I did manage to go back to sleep about an hour later. At the end of the programme they tried a few old wive's tales or similar. One was to eat 2 Kiwi fruits an hour before bed (could get expensive) another to have a hot bath an hour before and to go to bed in a cold bedroom. Mindfulness was also tried, but the ex doc himself was taking a probiotic powder in a drink before he went to bed and it really seemed to work. Sleep deprivation can lead to weight gain and diabetes which can then be followed by strokes and heart attacks. Not to mention driving, there is an ad on our local radio station "Never drive when you are DEAD tired".

I made it to Meineke for 8 a.m. and got our free service (from now on we have to pay again and build up points to get more freebies) - I asked them to check our back tire, passenger side. Turns out it was leaking air at the rim and they took it off, cleaned and resealed it. So I'm good to go for a day or two. Oh, nearly forgot, Monday I went to the asparagus farm (what a surprise). 18 months ago they pulled up a bridge so we had to get a new route. Toodling along the country road I found they were pulling up the road where I wanted to go. I was somewhat annoyed, putting it politely. It's a fairly long drive, then I remembered I could back track slightly and use a different junction which I did. My luck, they will decide to close that road as well although there are two golf courses, one, a major one, and I don't think they would be too happy if people couldn't get there for a couple of years.

Today, Tuesday, I ordered my groceries on line again. This is actually saving us money because I see how much I am spending as I add things to my order and not being in the store, do less impulse buying.

I have been hunting for more large Mason jars. I can buy them in packs of 12 but I only want a couple more. I have now been told that one of the local dollar stores, Dollarama, sells them individually. Just phoned them, they do sell them individually. Hurrah. I gave my asparagus pickling recipe to one of the women I buy asparagus for. She is almost as nutty about the stuff as I am. Only got a couple of weeks to go before the season is over. Those of you who don't like asparagus will be relieved!!

Asparagus is enjoyable in a salad and this is a good one.

Asparagus, Strawberry and Quinoa Caprese Salad

2 cups cooked quinoa
1 tsp olive oil
30 spears asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper
16 strawberries, sliced (about 12 ounces)
4.5 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
? cup Simple Balsamic Vinaigrette
2 Tbs finely chopped fresh basil

1. Place the cooked quinoa in a large salad bowl.

2. Prepare the balsamic vinaigrette and set aside.

3. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once heated, add the asparagus and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the asparagus is bright green and slightly tender, yet still has a little crunch.

4. Add the asparagus to the quinoa. Mix in the strawberries, mozzarella cheese, and the balsamic vinaigrette. Toss to combine. Top the salad with chopped fresh basil.

Servings: 7

Author: Krista
Source: Destination Delish

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. That recipe sounds absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also say light exercise, like walking and stretching, will also help you sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then I have always heard you shouldn't exercise before bed Alex. I suppose the key is light.

      Delete
  3. I have no trouble sleeping. Thank goodness. I did have a spell of insomnia after I shattered my leg several years ago. Had to take medication and hated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly don't Denise, but some nights I either can't get to sleep or wake up and can't go back to sleep.

      Delete
    2. Wine definitely will mess with my sleep, which is why if I am having any it has to be before 5pm preferably.

      Delete
    3. Wine has never messed with my sleep Denise, I find it mostly helps to relax me.

      Delete
  4. As I mentioned in my last comment, I'm off the booze and my sleep has improved significantly. Sleep is so important don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This programme did say booze was not good for people with insomnia Pinky. Yes, it is important. But then so is wine!!

      Delete
  5. Oh I know that the lack of sleep that Russell got on the road contributed to his cardiac problems. That, no exercise and crappy food. And genetics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes JoJo, I would imagine that being a truck driver can be a tad dangerous to one's health - and I don't mean accidents. I gather he is doing pretty well now though.

      Delete