Monday, July 27, 2015

Venus Express, Spam or Virus.

I read something interesting the other day, the Venus Express was designed to study both Venus and Earth. Why Earth? Because they want to study life on earth. Yes, we know there is life on earth, but the idea is to study, from space, what signs convey that there is such life so that if and when they come to another planet they will be able to recognise such signs. It is an interesting concept. We have seen many pictures of earth from space but nothing which particularly conveys that it is populated. You would have to have a telescope with really strong magnification I think. I am not sure how close some of these telescopes, which we send into space, can get. On Star Trek they could certainly look closely at places where they were thinking of landing. I am not sure we have such technology yet. Apart from the fact that we can't travel the stars anyway.

You may remember a few days ago, on the 21st to be precise, I had a warning on the computer which was obviously spam and called my techXpert people on line. Well it happened again on Sunday night. I couldn't get rid of it so I ended up rebooting and lo and behold it had all gone. It does seem to be connected to the game Matt likes to play but the tech people went through my PC with a fine tooth comb and didn't find anything. What a pain these people are. I don't understand why they do it although I am told it's just because they can.

I thought this was an excellent idea for breakfast or brunch.


Blueberry Brûlée

Ingredients

  1. 1/2 cup plain low-fat or nonfat yogurt
  2. 1/3 cup blueberries
  3. 1 tablespoon rolled oats
  4. 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  5. Pinch of cinnamon
  1. In a heatproof bowl, cover 1/2 cup plain low-fat or nonfat yogurt with 1/3 cup blueberries. Mix 1 tablespoon each rolled oats and brown sugar with a pinch of cinnamon and sprinkle on the berries. Broil until toasted on top.

Have a great day

24 comments:

  1. Tell Matt he needs to find a new favorite game.
    That's actually a smart idea to study Earth so we'll know what to look for on other planets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Alex, I should tell him that.

      It is a smart idea. One wonders who thought of it.

      Delete
  2. It's definitely the game. A lot of them have ads, and some of those ads are those stupid, invasive "warnings" that look like a virus. They aren't. They're just trying to trick you into buying something you don't need.

    What browser does he use? You guys could always install AdBlock Plus. You'll never see another ad (including those stupid warnings) again.

    I love a good creme brulee but haven't tried making one in the style of a parfait. Looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that puzzles me Bryan because he has been playing this game for a long time now, probably a couple of years, but it's only just happened. I thought I had something like AdBlock Plus on my desktop. I will check it out.

      I've never tried making a creme brulee at all. We used to have a propane torch specifically for it too but we were warned against keeping any kind of gas cylinder in an apartment. Had a great hurricane lamp we had to get rid of too.

      Delete
    2. Try installing this if you haven't already. It's free, doesn't slow anything down, and it's good to have anyway. Keeps you protected while surfing and blocks annoying ads (I was in IT for 12 years, and I swear by it).

      https://adblockplus.org/

      For what it's worth, I've never trusted myself with a propane torch. Most days I don't even trust myself with a propane grill. When I make brulee, I just use the broiler in the oven, and it seems to come out well enough.

      Delete
    3. OK thanks I will check it out. Don't know if you read my blog from the other day, I now have techXpert from my ISP for free. They check the computer all the time and can step in and help whenever I need it.

      We never actually used ours anyway Bryan. Had had it for years. I guess the boiler is our only option now anyway.

      Delete
  3. In the really populated places on earth, you'd see lights from space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending how close you were Diane. Not sure how close these telescopes get or how far away you could see such lights.

      Delete
  4. I had to look up to see how far away you can still see the lights of earth but I only came up with the astronauts at the space station. I guess they didn't see them from the moon b/c they were always facing earth in the sun as it rotated, right? Sorry about that virus issue. Matt may have to stop playing if it keeps happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how far they can see the lights. I guess the Venus Express will be able to tell us.

      Well, it's a nuisance but if I reboot, he can still play the game OK.

      Delete
  5. Once we get faster than lights speed mastered travelling to new worlds will be a cinch. We're human, we come in peace and we eat bluberry brulee sounds like a good opener to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something I am unlikely to see Spacerguy, but I firmly believe we will get FTL one day. I like the eating blueberry brulee when making first contact.

      Delete
  6. Yum on that blueberry brulee! Looks likes it would be a refreshing breakfast option :) That was interesting about studying earth from above the earth for signs of life, fascinating in a way :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so Betty.

      Yes, it is interesting.

      Delete
  7. I wonder what signs of life from that distance would be. Water, I suppose. Maybe urban patterns in the landscape? Very interesting isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As one commenter said, lights in large developed areas. Although I am not sure how far out they could be seen Pinky.

      Delete
  8. Interesting and smart. I do hope it helps them spot life. When I see that ad I just close the browser and it goes too. Pain in the butt though!
    Love blueberries and yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good idea Yolanda. Hope it works. That's what I did last night.

      Blueberries are good with most things.

      Delete
  9. Mmm, anything with blueberries. I always had trouble with my computers when I let the kids play games on it. My newest laptop is used only by me and I've had no trouble.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt is my husband Susan. However, he is totally un tech savvy. The only thing he ever does is play this one game.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. We'll see. This game has been fine for years Ivy.

      Delete
  11. I would not know but everyone is saying it is the game. I am looking at the nice dessert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know either Birgit, but we've been playing the game for years now.

      Delete